Experiences of combination bits

soloequestrian

Visit site
I'm interested in using a combination bit for my youngster as the next step in her education. We're still just long reining but hopefully full backing is not far away. I started her in sidepull as progression from a headcollar and recently I've introduced a hackamore. The hackamore gives me markedly more control and she seems very happy in it, but I do eventually want to bit her. The combination bits seem like a good stepping stone - as I understand, the hackamore aspect of them comes into play followed by the bit if more pressure is applied. Is this how they work in reality, and do horses tend to like them? I would probably get a Myler, though I can see there are a few other makes now.
Thanks in advance.

blitznbobs

Visit site
Why would you put a hackamore on a baby? It’s very severe? I’d just start her in a rubber snaffle ... keep it simple ... bit less does not necessarily mean gentle

soloequestrian

Visit site
Only as severe as the hand pulling on it.... and much more logical in terms of the feeling it gives to progress from a headcollar to a hackamore than to a bit which acts in a completely different way and is quite an intrusive piece of kit.

Kafairia

Visit site
I wouldn't consider any kind of combination bit for a youngster, they are a lot of pressure and it could be too much. It's often advertised that the hackamore comes into play first, but really it's the other way around. I see your logic completely however. Most of them have a really strong gag effect that comes with the action of getting the hackamore to come into effect.

Personally, I'd just start putting her in a rubber bendy snaffle and start alternating between and translating your basics over.

Also, hackamores can be very gentle. I think a snaffle can be equivalent to a side pull, approximately. Obviously one works off bar, tongue and lip pressure and the other off facial nerves and maybe even curb pressure. I think an individual approach to each horse is necessary. Obviously, it's working for this youngster in particular. :)

soloequestrian

Visit site
I wouldn't consider any kind of combination bit for a youngster, they are a lot of pressure and it could be too much. It's often advertised that the hackamore comes into play first, but really it's the other way around. I see your logic completely however. Most of them have a really strong gag effect that comes with the action of getting the hackamore to come into effect.

Thanks, that's what I was wondering - I've never seen one in the flesh. I suppose it might be worth hiring one to try - I have a very longsuffering older horse who's used to both hackamore and bit so he could model it for me.... it would just be nice to find a way to gradually introduce the bit while I can still use the aids she's used.

abbijay

Visit site
I trialled them when a bitting consultant came out to me. It was a revolution to me. The horse was light and fluid responding to subtle movement. I imagine if used by heavy hands they could be quite harsh but ridden softly it was lovely. I would have been very interested in purchasing the bit but my main disciplines are dressage and showing so it had no purpose to me.
The consultant (Elaine Durgan of White Rose Equestrian) starts her horses in a dually and I'm sure she said she moves them onto this as the next step in the bitting process. It might be worth giving her a ring to get her views on it?

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I'm interested in using a combination bit for my youngster as the next step in her education. We're still just long reining but hopefully full backing is not far away. I started her in sidepull as progression from a headcollar and recently I've introduced a hackamore. The hackamore gives me markedly more control and she seems very happy in it, but I do eventually want to bit her. The combination bits seem like a good stepping stone - as I understand, the hackamore aspect of them comes into play followed by the bit if more pressure is applied. Is this how they work in reality, and do horses tend to like them? I would probably get a Myler, though I can see there are a few other makes now.
Thanks in advance.

I am getting the http://www.bitworld.co.uk/ourshop/p...dem-US-Ported-Soft-Combination-Hackamore.html. Really you want to ask your trainer advise and he or she know the horse and would have more input than any of us who knows nothing about your horses needs.

I would have though one of the rubber snaffles or happy mouth snaffles or lozenge snaffles would be enough for your youngster, as you want to start right and not create an issue which will develop later if you put something in too soon when not needed.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Anyone else tried these bits?

I've tried the myler low port short shank combination and didn't find it severe at all. If I recall correctly, the snugger the hackamore/noseband bit, the sooner that comes into play, ahead of the snaffle part.
I started a very big, gangly horse (she was 7, so not a baby) in a bitless bridle because she was terribly unbalanced and I wanted to get her cantering and steady before using a bit (she was fine in the bit to walk and trot) Anyhow... lunging with sidereins in a bit also helped her get used to the contact. Some horses are just fussier than others in the mouth, and I think your strategy is a sound one.

Edited to add; I used a Dr Cook's knock off, not a hackamore. I've found hackamores (in my personal experience only) to offer great brakes, but fuzzy steering. The cross under bridle worked better

Last edited:

soloequestrian

Visit site
Thanks - I've never tried a cross-under but perhaps worth looking at, I know what you mean about the hackamore steering! I did try her in a scrawbrig some time ago and she absolutely hated it so not sure if that might translate to the cross-under. She may have grown out of hating it anyway of course!