Experiences of treating sarcoids on the eye area

a kind of magic

Visit site
We are currently waiting to hear back from Liverpool (if I don't hear back today I have been told to chase my vet) about the course of action for my hubby's mare. She has a sarcoid on her eyelid, it started as an occult sarcoid at the site of previous trauma and looked no different than a rubbed patch, however when she caught it rubbing her head and made it bleed-it has now transformed into an angry looking fibroblastic sarcoid.

Our vet is thinking the course of action will most likely be BCG injections but we will wait and see. What I wanted to hear was any experiences of treating similar sarcoids, either successfully or not. Hers is on her upper eyelid, I will try to get a photo later and upload it.

Britestar

Visit site
My girlie had bcg vaccines in her periocular nodular sarcoid. She had about 8 rounds of treatment and it was a complete success.
I also use thuja tablets at the same time. I don't know if they made any difference, but the Vets assured me that the whole area would ulcerate after the 3rd or 4th treatment, and it never did, much the amazement of the Vet.

The Vet dismissed my using them at the start, but by the end asked exactly what they were, as they were going to recommend others to use them as a part of the treatment. I used to give them 2 days before and 5 days after each injection.

Lucyad

Visit site
I treated my horse's sarcoid with Sarc-off bloodroot ointmet on vet's advice - she felt it was too close to his eye for Liverpool treatment, but has since had quite a few success with Sarc-off, so recommends it for suitable cases.

The sarcoid started off as a bald slightly scaly grey patch just above one eye, then turned into a large hard lump under the skin which grew very quickly. The sarc-off is applied for 4-6 days then left, and a week or so later it sort of erupted and the whole 'lid' came off exposing raw flesh beneath. It was rather horrible. However the skin quickly grew back fine, leaving only a tiny bald patch (lump entirely dissapeared), this time of healthy black skin.

The lump did re-occur a few years later, but as soon as I spotted the lump growing I slapped sarc-off on for I think 3 days (so slightly less than before), and it sorted it out, and far less agressively than the initial treatment. No re-occurance since - this was about 2-3 years ago.

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
had one treated in the eye area with bcg. completely successful. 4 injections a week apart. that was 14 yrs ago. only a tiny patch of bald skin remains! 2 inj at liverpool 2 at home! result!!

texel

Visit site
I have read on other forums that success has been gained by using a particular make of toothpaste on the beasties.

a kind of magic

Visit site
Just thought I would update this thread in case anyone is interested or for anyone who may stumble upon it googling.

Liverpool have been in touch-I will try to get photos of the sarcoid tomorrow to post for reference but they are suggested the best and only viable option is the BCG course. It is very aggressive and fast growing so they have discussed with our vet who has now come back to us to say if it doesn't work then really there is nothing more that can be done and she will have to be PTS. :( We got a second opinion and they said the same. It's basically the nature of the beast-hers is very aggressive and in just the wrong place.

Because of the kind of sarcoid and it's location I didn't want to dabble with any alternative/home remedies or anything other than what Liverpool suggested-we had a horse once who had sarcoids on his sheath which were treated successfully with banding and bloodroot and have never returned but the last thing I want to do is aggravate this horrible thing any more than is necessary. :( Bloomin' horrible things they are.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
My gelding had a sarcoid in his eye area, we waited so long for a reply from Liverpool that he ended up having surgery twice to remove large amounts if it.
Finally he started bcg injections, it responded really quickly and now you can hardly tell he had it, only a minute mark where the surgery was.

It seemed a really bad situation at the time but he got over it we look back as it being an experience!

sue4571

Visit site
I have a pony with a sarcoid on his eyelid. He had a dark mark on it for ages which we thought nothing of, but the last week or so a lump has appeared, and he is now rubbing it and the whole thing is a mess.
The vet came today and was so depressing, talking about removing eyelids and eyes and putting the pony down.
Surely we can try something? He has taken some photos to send to Liverpool but was just so pessimistic about the whole thing. I am devastated.
Can someone tell me how to post a photo on here so someone can look at it?
Thanks Sue

leflynn

Visit site
You need to upload the photo either to an album on here or to a site like photobucket/flicr and then add into your post.

Don't lose heart yet, mine had a sarcoid over his eye too close ot treat with cream or BCG injections so had the iridium wire treatment which 2 years on seems to have been successful *touches wood*

You can see the white scar over his eye and how close it was on these pics a bit:

IMG_0534 by le_flynn, on Flickr

me red by le_flynn, on Flickr

red field by le_flynn, on Flickr

Just shout if you want any more info on it, he also had tiny sarcoids under the other eye that were treated with lliverpool cream too

leflynn

Visit site
I sobbed a lot too :( Red's was in a very similar place so don't give up hope!

Prof K @ Leahurst was brilliant with me and Red (I think I was worse than Red was). Just drop a message if you want any other info, it is tougher on us than on them I think. Your pony looks gorgeous!!! :) The success rates are very good too @ Leahurst

Last edited:

YasandCrystal

Visit site
We had a pony with them under one eye and we treated with Camrosa cream. It took around 5 months of daily application for them to disappear completely, but they did and the Camrosa did not irritate the pony one bit.

leflynn

Visit site
Problem with cream on a site above the eye is that there is a danger it will go into the eye and cause damage, Red had sarcoids under the other eye too (tiny ones) and they were treated with Liverpool cream

poniesanddogs

Visit site
Hi
We successfully treated a Point to Pointer many years ago with Sarcoids on it`s eyelids with Thuja cream and Thuja Capsules, both bought from a chemist.
This horse had various treatments previously including cutting it off and burning it with NO success at all. The Thuja cream needs to be applied 3- 5 times daily and the capsules twice daily. I will say that nothing happened overnight but gradually it shrank until it disappeared completely. People that didn`t see the horse regularly couldn`t believe it including the vet - try it and goodluck !

sue4571

Visit site
Can you possibly give me the contact details of the vet who treated your horse? Mine is getting a lot worse and he is rubbing it a lot too. My vet has taken photos to send to Liverpool but nothing has come back yet. I am really desperate now.