Experiences with Improvac?

charlotte0916

Visit site
Hi all,

I'm currently looking at having my mare injected with improvac but looking for experiences and results from others who've tried it please?

We've already tried regumate, oestress and some other chaste berry ones I've forgotten the name of, and regumate was the most effective but even that only helped somewhat.

We're looking at putting her on it as she has extreme cycles (with follicles 3 x larger than they should be) every 3 weeks, year round which we think is causing repeated ulcers and somewhat tricky behavior (we have scanned twice now).

Any experiences of using this (or other solutions) would be great to hear about!

charlotte0916

Visit site
Are both her ovaries the same size?

They’re both huge at the moment. Last time we scanned one was bigger than the other and looked cystic, but turns out it was in the process of collapsing in itself. Whereas now both are at the ‘huge’ stage.

hock

Visit site
I’ve just had a granulosa tumor removed from my mare’s ovary and the symptoms sounded similar but we had one huge ovary and then the testosterone had shrunk the other ovary. No experience of the drug therapy but best of luck, my mare is/was like a turbo charged stallion constantly.

charlotte0916

Visit site
I’ve just had a granulosa tumor removed from my mare’s ovary and the symptoms sounded similar but we had one huge ovary and then the testosterone had shrunk the other ovary. No experience of the drug therapy but best of luck, my mare is/was like a turbo charged stallion constantly.

We were wondering if that was the case - her behavior has been compared to the stallion on the yard at times! We did check for a GC tumor and she came back negative, so think she just has way too many hormones and an over-active system. I hope your mares recovery goes well and all improves!

charlotte0916

Visit site
I used it on my mare and it worked really well for us! Big swelling at point of injection but nothing concerning. It really helped her :)

That's fab to hear! Did you have your mare on regumate beforehand? Also, how long did the swelling last? I'm anticipating that mine will swell as she tends to react to everything injected bless her!

ramsaybailey

Visit site
That's fab to hear! Did you have your mare on regumate beforehand? Also, how long did the swelling last? I'm anticipating that mine will swell as she tends to react to everything injected bless her!

No I didn't - partly because the yard I was on didn't want regumate around, and I knew another mare that had the injection with great. Her behaviour was so obviously related to her season's the vets were happy to injection straight off. If I remember correctly the swelling sometimes didn't appear for a day or two, then a couple of days of bad swelling, then slowly went down. About a week! A much happier girl all round. Hope it works as well for you if you go down that route!

Ani2013

Visit site
My mare had improvax about 3 years ago. She had no reaction and it’s been brilliant. In fact she’s never come into season again properly. As I never wanted to breed from her, I am very happy. My daughters warm blood had it and had a bad reaction and swelling on the injection site which took a good week to settle.

Muddywellies

Visit site
I used it on my mare and it worked really well for us! Big swelling at point of injection but nothing concerning. It really helped her :)
Same as this. Came up like a football and very very sore for a while needing lots of bute. Don't underestimate how horrid the reaction can be. But, it worked a treat for a good 12 to 18 months.