extra protections for paws ??

ladyearl

vvv
Hi there. Do any of you use any special products to help protect your dog's pads? My dog has started doing cani cross with a friend and came back with a cut pad at the weekend, which is a shame because they were going to try a fun run at the weekend. To be honest the cut could have happened at any time as these things do happen but it did get me wondering about a little extra protection for her. She does a lot of paw to ground time with me aside from her cani cross stuff so just want to do the best by her. She's also a crazy collie so for every mile I walk she usually hoons an extra five!

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Mine have never needed them to date but a lot of sibe people use cordura booties when running on rough ground - they're a lot cheaper, expandable and don't spin unlike the expensive rubberised dog boots you can get.

http://www.culpeppers.co.uk/catalogue/?_Culpep=51406187A5hcBedgNCI&cat=booties or join Musher's Exchange on Facebook and request some, there's a few people who make them for £1 a boot plus postage.

suzysparkle

Visit site
Boots have their uses, but cordura (which is the only thing suitable on non snow that doesn't cost a fortune) wears out really fast. We have a big box of booties (did a mass order from the US) as they are handy to have. We have only ever used them if a dog has worn a nail down to the quick (happens with the hard driving dogs and we are not blessed with nice surfaces up here) or if we are at a rally and find ourselves faced with a surface we feel we need boots for (if it's really bad we don't run).
The best answer is fit feet - ie conditioning. Her feet will toughen up and unless she's doing really long distances she shouldn't really need boots. However, if she's running on really hard / abrasive surfaces then yes use boots but don't expect them to last beyond a couple of runs. The boots we have are like the ones in blackcob's link. If you are handy with a sewing machine they are very easy to make. It's just a cordura (1000 denier if possible) rectangle with a velcro fastening tab. You do need to watch them for rubs though!
Bear in mind my experience is with dogs bred to have good feet designed for this sort of thing. However, our collie has never had foot issues from running in harness - and he does all the miles our siberians do (and he does pull hard!!). He has cut his pads a few times when husband takes him mountain biking though - he now wears boots for this!!! It's because he runs v fast downhill and does 'handbrake turns'. No point not taking him though - he gets most upset if you don't!!

suzysparkle

Visit site
Here's some of ours wearing selective booting at a rally (it was the first of the season and rough in places). They were the fastest in their class that day :)
booties.jpg

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Sorry, I should have specified - at £1 per boot they are very definitely disposable. :p As above they shouldn't be needed for long with correct conditioning and work.

ladyearl

vvv
It's interesting that you have all come back with boots. I am going to try and get her a boot to wear till this cut heals but I was thinking more about a cream or salve that can help keeps the pads supple but still tough. Have found Musher's secret and was wondering about that. thanks for replies though!

suzysparkle

Visit site
I've never come across anyone using paw wax in the UK. It's more to help prevent snow / ice sticking to their fur and also to provide protection against salt if you are walking on salted surfaces. We have never had issues with snow / ice build -up but I know it can be an issue. If you weren't keen on boots then probably no harm in trying it but I'd give her a bit more time to allow her feet to naturally adapt to the different work. I know the stuff you mean and I'm sure it's really expensive over here. Is she running a lot on asphalt??

ladyearl

vvv
No not really more rough surfaces. She's just started and as it's a bit hot during summer I think it will be autumn before they really get going. Will hang back a bit on buying it for now as it is expensive. Someone suggested rubbing in some vaseline help keeps pads supple so maybe try that.