Extra Tooth!!

MissGee

Visit site
As the title suggests. My mare has an extra tooth on the left at the top.

It's never really caused much of a problem, I have to have the dentist vist every 4 to 5 months to keep on top of it and he uses the power tools to get it burred as low as possible which has previously been fine. She's 13 years old and a good established show jumper, jumped up to fox comfortably.

However, I have recently decided to start diversifying with her, obviously she's a good jumper and I've recently found out she's very brave XC so decided it would be nice to do a bit of eventing with her.

Dressage - here lies the problem.... she goes nicely SJ but isn't round enough for a good dressage test. My dentist says its becuase of the extra tooth catching the bit...

Removal isn't an option apparently as it's too close to her eye and brain!

So just wondered if anyone else had had a similar problem or had any suggestions for any type of bit which may interfere less. She's currently ridden in a Neue Schule Universal bit for SJ and I school/hack her in a loose ring snaffle.

Or - do I just give up on the idea of eventing/dressage and just stick to jumping her?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

marioforever

Visit site
My mare has an extra tooth, which sometimes got in the way of her french link bit. I now ride her in a straight bar happy mouth as it dosent hang down in the mouth so far, and she seems more comfortable in it. If your horse needs something stronger, then you can get mullen mouth bits in all sorts of metal and in nylon. I think its just a case of trial and error! Good luck

MissGee

Visit site
Thank you, I've tried her in happy mouth straight bar but she didn't seem any better in that, albeit no worse eiether. I kinda gathered it was trial and error but I've trialled lots and seem to be running out of options :-(

How often does your mare see the dentist?