Extreme Photosensitivity

maree t

Visit site
Hi , we have a coloured Irish horse that has developed horrible oedema type swellngs on all his white bits . We have had him a year and no problems before The vet thinks it is a combination of a lot of good grass and then a couple of hot days now hs summer coat is through He has advised keeping him in and on hay for a few days He does appear to be getting better but have never dealt with this before .
He could do with being on the grass but worried now that it is too much .
any advice to stop this happening again .

WellyBaggins

Visit site
A blood test to check liver function would not be a bad idea as it can be linked to liver problems but not always so don't panic, my chestnut horse has a blaze and 4 white socks, he is very photosensitive but no liver issues, he has to be covered up, he wears a fly mask and leg wraps from first thing until last thing but I live onsite so it is easy for me, can he wear a fly rug, etc? If not keeping him in when sunny may be the best option good luck!

dianchi

Visit site
A blood test to check liver function would not be a bad idea as it can be linked to liver problems but not always so don't panic, my chestnut horse has a blaze and 4 white socks, he is very photosensitive but no liver issues, he has to be covered up, he wears a fly mask and leg wraps from first thing until last thing but I live onsite so it is easy for me, can he wear a fly rug, etc? If not keeping him in when sunny may be the best option good luck!

Welly Baggins, what leg wraps do you use at the moment? I struggle to find any that don't over heat her legs

AengusOg

Visit site
It can also be linked to a plant called St. Johns Wort which, if ingested causes photosensitivity and the symptoms you describe.

You'll probably find that the affected skin will become like paper, and will slough off, leaving new pink skin and hair underneath.

maree t

Visit site
Quick update, we stabled him during the day and put him on a different paddock overnight, we gave him turmeric treats to help with the inflammation. He was fine and looking well just fed up at being in . I took a chance today as it is very overcast and expected to rain and left him out . Just been to check and noticed it has come back very mildly on one shoulder and leg . The skin all looks fine and healthy apart from his nose where it has scabbed up a bit . Is the poor sod going to have to have a uv rug on all the time ? I am worried about trying to but wraps on aswell as he is a fairly hairy type . I think I will get the vet to run a blood test next time he is out aswell just to put my mid at rest .