Eye looks odd

setterlover

Visit site
As they were in most of the day waiting for the vet I decided to put them out overnight and have done so since.
It seems to be working out well .They have got the pole barn open so can come back to shelter if they want and I do put haylege out there so there is food if they choose to come in and shelter.
Have ordered a UV mask for him ( if we ever get any sun,,)
The eye does look better and where there was a little light discharge / watering that appears to have stopped it's also less visible I think comparing it to the photos I have taken.
( I think I will photograph every week for comparison as it's often hard to remember what you saw)
I feel much less stressed over it now.
All we need now is some better weather!!!!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I'm really pleased things are looking good, and fascinated about what drug your vet may have injected as I can't find a reference to the study online. I have found a smaller study using Interferon AlphaB, which is hailed as ground breaking and will possibly transfer into human medicine, as it was used against eye tumours in horses first. Could you possibly take a look at your bill and let us know what the drug is?

I hope the progress continues.

setterlover

Visit site
I must admit I will be interested to know the name of the drug but didn't concentrate on what he said. He logged into something on his phone to show me the study I think he said 9 were only injected he also rang another vet to discuss the dosage and frequency of usage.
He said it had also been used after surgery to help prevent grow back but they found use on its own was as effective as it helped the immune system to fight back whereas surgery can promote cell growth as the body tries to repair the incision site.
I offered to throw away the packaging but he cleared it up and took it with him!
I usually get the bill after about 2 weeks so will make a note of it when it comes.
To be honest I was a bit overwhelmed as I was expecting to encouraged to go for surgery.

Last edited:

ycbm

Visit site
I must admit I will be interested to know the name of the drug but didn't concentrate on what he said. He logged into something on his phone to show me the study I think he said 9 were only injected he also rang another vet to discuss the dosage and frequency of usage.
He said it had also been used after surgery to help prevent grow back but they found use on its own was as effective as it helped the immune system to fight back whereas surgery can promote cell growth as the body tries to repair the incision site.
I offered to throw away the packaging but he cleared it up and took it with him!
I usually get the bill after about 2 weeks so will make a note of it when it comes.
To be honest I was a bit overwhelmed as I was expecting to encouraged to go for surgery.

I'm so pleased for you both that something new and effective is available.

ycbm

Visit site
The drug he used was mitomycin
This what I have found about it .
Mitomycin affects how DNA is made in cancer cells, causing cell death. Since
cancer cells tend to divide faster and with less error-correcting than healthy cells, they are more sensitive to this damage. This cell damage slows or stops the growth of cancer cells

Very interesting, thank you. From googling it that's an antibiotic but more usually used for cancer in humans. I hope it works well for you.

Ricedance

Visit site
I had a tumor lasered off my oldie a few years ago on his tail and used micromycin after for 7 days on the rough wound if that makes sense. It’s never come back (spindle cell carinoma) it’s very good stuff!

setterlover

Visit site
Vet was here today to do second lot of treatment. Two weeks after the first treatment .He says the tumour has shrunk considerably after 1 treatment .
He injected it again and when he was sedated and you pulled back the third eyelid you can see it is a lot smaller.
I have photographs of it before treatment and one taken one week after treatment one taken today. He wants me to photograph it every week (when I can) and send him a message with the set of photographs on 1st April (when I get back from holiday)off next week Cruising the Mediterranean for a couple of weeks escaping the grotty weather!
Lovely friend moving in to look after the animals.

setterlover

Visit site
Lower image shot original photo top shot eye photographed this morning .
Definitely looks different perhaps less solid .
Have to WhatsApp the vet on 1/4 with the shots I have taken so far plus one taken on 1/4 to assess next visit.
Away at the weekend (off to the Mediterranean to escape this dreadful weather and recharge for a couple of weeks) lovely friend moving in to care for the animals.She has the vet on speed dial in case any big changes( his suggestion)
As he was only injected a week ago there is a little swelling at the bottom of the eye past injection that gradually disappeared after 2 weeks
IMG_20240314_082525~2.jpgIMG_20240103_103257~2.jpg