Eye saga

DressageCob

Visit site
The people who read the weekend plans threads will already about my little cob’s eye woes but I thought I’d start my own thread.

The story starts almost 2 weeks ago, when my little cob came in from the field with an angry eye. Since you can’t mess around with eyes, I got the vet out, who found an ulcer the size of a 50p piece.

Since I’m lucky my vets have a decent equine hospital, he was taken straight in and a lavage system was put in place on his eyelid to blast the poorly eye with antibiotics, a lubricant and a serum, on a pump system every hour.

074C6C2D-52E3-48D9-8CB6-99B13F1C6F18.jpeg
903FE94B-6B7E-4FB9-A01C-351BD628D4F9.jpeg
9C4F7FF8-C22D-4E2B-9875-BAE1ECC18A4A.jpeg

The eye didn’t make any progress at all, despite the aggressive treatment. So the practice got their ophthalmologist to have a look (although he was a small animal vet). It was spotted that the cornea was turning cone shaped and so he was rushed to Leahurst to their ophthalmology guys.

DA80A7F9-B585-4CED-AC56-B8044C9D0289.jpeg

When he arrived you could see his eye sinking and it was noted that the cornea wasn’t as solid as it could be. He was put on drops every 15 minutes through the lavage system (thank heavens for vet students). That was the Tuesday.

On Wednesday I received a call that the eye was on the verge of collapse. The cornea was melting into a jelly-like consistency and I was told to prepare for the eye being removed. But first we would try a steroid, an unusual treatment for an eye ulcer.

The day after there had been stabilisation if not marginal improvement. But Albert’s mood had dropped and he was looking like he might colic. As a result of his low mood he was prescribed regular hand grazing. 24/7 stabling is tough on a horse who lives out in a herd normally.

55282DD9-00B3-486F-AC84-DAF2710EC81F.jpeg

The eye removal was delayed given the marginal improvement. It was also discovered that Albert doesn’t seem to make tears and so there was concern as to the condition of his other eye. So drops to lubricate that eye were commenced and a guardian fly mask required.

Since then it seems that each day the steroid is applied, there is marginal improvement the day after. But not enough.

It was decided to send Albert up to Penrith for corneal collagen cross linking, a new procedure for horses. We went today. The place was in an industrial estate and not very horsebox friendlh, but easy to find. We were shown to a stable with no bedding which looked very new.

The vet explained that Albert’s eye is very poor indeed. It seems that his body has attacked the eye rather than the ulcer and so it is melting. But, the hope was this treatment would work. It involves removing some of the jelly (melted cornea) and then using riboflavin and UV-A light to spur the collagen strands to form bonds across the cornea, solidifying it again.

By the end of the 2 hour treatment Albert’s eye was solid, albeit still a bit saggy at the bottom.

We will know in the next 4-7 days whether it worked. So fingers crossed. If not I think we’ve exhausted all options and it will have been an expensive experiment but the eye will be lost anyway. I know horses adapt but I’m not confident this one will. I’m really praying his eye is saved. Time will tell!

023A5A0A-825D-4BB8-BD83-FEA3F7A87A92.jpeg
439E0E67-72F5-48E1-A744-4974605DDE72.jpeg

Reacher

Visit site
You’ve really gone the extra mile and deserve some luck. Really hope the corneal collagen cross linking treatment works.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Your story makes me feel so lucky! My Draft mare had an ulcer on her eye, like you I got the vet out immediately I noticed her eye was sore (which can't have been long after she poked herself in the eye with something in the field, possibly a nettle stalk). The vet treated her at home with painkiller and ointment to put into the eye twice per day. And it cleared up.

Fingers crossed that your story and the experiment have a successful ending!

DressageCob

Visit site
Your story makes me feel so lucky! My Draft mare had an ulcer on her eye, like you I got the vet out immediately I noticed her eye was sore (which can't have been long after she poked herself in the eye with something in the field, possibly a nettle stalk). The vet treated her at home with painkiller and ointment to put into the eye twice per day. And it cleared up.

Fingers crossed that your story and the experiment have a successful ending!

The two previous ulcers Albert has had were exactly like that. We had eye drops and painkillers and within a week or so he was better. For some reason on this one his immune system has been attacking the eye instead of healing the ulcer. So unlucky. It's very rare, particularly in cases like Albert where there's no fungus or bacteria in the mix.

AandK

Visit site
Fingers cross for your boy and his eye. My 21yo lost his left eye in Feb this year due to cancer, fortunately he has coped amazingly and has been back doing everything he did prior to the op (low level eventing).

Apercrumbie

Visit site
Goodness me that is a saga - will keep fingers firmly crossed for you. If he does end up losing the eye, there are many on here who have had one-eyed horses - you may be surprised at how he adapts.

On a side note - it's just amazing the procedures that they have tried to keep the eye, science is incredible.

SEL

Visit site
Fingers crossed he keeps the eye, but don't lose hope if he has it removed. I've known quite a few operate with sight in just one eye (a number are polo ponies who have lost the sight on the mallet side after a whack or two).

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I really hope the treatment works for him and the eye is saved, it's amazing what they can do nowadays I would never have imagined such a procedure exists, one of my horses came in last year with his eye closed and very swollen so called the vet I knew it wasn't just fly eye, he had scratched it and caused an ulcer luckily after a few days of drops he was fine, they are such a worry when things go wrong please keep us updated with his progress and I will be keeping everything crossed for you.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Eep, all, fingers crossed for your lad. I think where he is now is where Hovis had his cataract op, it's the best place for eyes.

I think your local vets may be the same as mine, and my mare was in there earlier today having a weepy eye checked, as well for on going foot balance checks. Eye ok, thankfully, just a mild infection. Poorly eyes are always a worry.

Please keep us updated.

Bernster

Visit site
Oh poor boy. And poor you! Sounds a bit gruesome but agree it’s amazing what treatments they have nowadays. Hope all goes ok!

DressageCob

Visit site
Eep, all, fingers crossed for your lad. I think where he is now is where Hovis had his cataract op, it's the best place for eyes.

I think your local vets may be the same as mine, and my mare was in there earlier today having a weepy eye checked, as well for on going foot balance checks. Eye ok, thankfully, just a mild infection. Poorly eyes are always a worry.

Please keep us updated.

You’re right, it is where Hovis had his cataract done. I read a Your Horse magazine while I waited and there was an article about it, naming the vet who was in with Albert at the time.

DressageCob

Visit site
We got back to Leahurst about 8pm, Albert had a good night with plenty of poo so colic watch was uneventful.

Today Albert’s eye is largely solid, still with a droop in the bottom more solid than liquid. My Leahurst vets say the procedure has given us about a week’s worth of improvement in one day. The question is if it stays good or starts melting again. No guarantees, since it seems Albert’s immune system has been attacking the eye so far.

Albert himself is feeling grand. Both eyes were fully open when we took his mask off, for the first time since this all started. His other eye is shiny so we shall see if it stays lubricated on its own.

I struggled a bit with the hand grazing today. I was dragged around the field by a bouncing tank of a pony, while the vet was trying to update me. He’s definitely feeling good!

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Wow, what a story, really hope his improvement continues, we always say you can't take the risk with eyes and thank goodness you acted so quickly. Everything crossed for you and Albert.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Fingers crossed his eye continues to improve - you need to have a stern word with him about how it really isn't a great life choice to start attacking your own eye!

DressageCob

Visit site
Since the operation on Wednesday the eye has been stable. Some blood vessels are returning to the area and most importantly, the eye seems comfortable. Albert is holding it open (when not anticipating it being messed with!).

It’s still to early to tell if the procedure worked, but importantly it has not deteriorated yet. Tomorrow he will he examined under sedation again and I’m really hoping for good news.

He’s very happy in himself at the moment. Very chatty and dragging very students around 😄

Positive vibes, hopes and prayers to the deities of your choice please 😊

704DE51C-6EBA-4597-9C49-CC996BA7B920.jpeg