Fab Feb has Begun...

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Ace jumping lesson today. Funny how you can hear the same things over and over and one day you actually properly understand what they mean! I have been endlessly told: "Look up, look beyond the fence, look for the next fence, look where you are going." But I never do it! I try but it just did not quite register. But today the RI said "on the approach to the first, look at the 2nd, on the approach the 2nd, look towards the third" etc. And DO NOT LOOK AT THE FENCES. Don't try to see a stride or anything. Just look for the lines and ride point to point or curving lines beyond the fences. And suddenly it just clicked and transformed everything. I had so much more time and mental head-space and it all felt so much more organised. Hurrah. Dressage lesson next.....

Ambers Echo

Visit site
It was a private lesson. Have now also had a dressage lesson which was pretty good though I could tell Amber and I were both rusty after a few days off. I really like my instructor. I kept hearing about her for years bit she hardly ever had spaces so it took a while before I could start using her. Dressage is my weakest phase so I am hoping for big improvements there this year.

Next week a group AE clinic and a pre-season camp!

Fiona

Visit site
Wonderful....

I have lots of group jumping lessons, but not found one instructor that suits completely to go to myself.

Trying a new one on 21st though :)

Fiona

Ambers Echo

Visit site
I am very happy at the moment with my regular dressage and jumping instructors. I use other people from time to time but I think the consistency of regular lessons with the same person is great. But you're right - you need to find the right person!

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Group Arena Eventing clinic at Somerford today as Fab Feb continues.....

I am feeling a strange mixture of frustration with myself and pride: Pride because I jumped lines I would never have considered not so long ago and frustrated because I rode like a muppet! Poor Amber. The RI said she is such an honest, genuine horse but even she can't jump fences if she does not know where she is going.

I was trying my best but I am just not that good! We were doing lines she said you'd only find on BE100 courses. The size of the jumps is fine but the thinking & planning ahead to link technically challenging fences together is where I struggle. Especially when it is something like a related distance from a big table to a skinny as Amber jumps everything so massive that getting her back in balance and straight for a skinny is hard work. RI told me that the corner on the BE90 at Aston Le Walls is huge so made me practice corners. Then told me she was only winding me up and it's small really. So hopefully after that the BE90 course won't look so bad!!

I bought some official pics so I am looking forward to seeing those. Next up: SJ and XC schooling at a pre-season BE training day.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
fantastic Feb indeed. Don't forget to enjoy yourself.

I did enjoy it and I am buzzing now. I just want to run before I can walk. And I hate feeling like I am letting Amber down. I need to recognise that I am only as good as I am and that has to be good enough for now.

Alibear

Visit site
Well done and don't be hard on yourself, the speed and amount at which you have to think and plan as you go up the levels is really challenging. I only got it for a few short months but I still remember the struggle to get there, it was such an eye opener. Well done for getting on that road, it will be awesome when it all clicks.

alexomahony

Visit site
Really enjoying this thread and very envious of your fab feb! Amber sounds amazing, and as do you. Remember we're not training over these lines as often as we'd probably like, the season hasn't started yet and i'm sure you've probably had quite a chilled time over winter.

All these sessions are about helping you get your eye in ready for the season. If you're only main worry is planning ahead and thinking about the line and looking where you're going, you're on to a winner :)

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Thanks Ali and Alex. Very helpful and reassuring!

BE training day yesterday with Richard Carruthers and Dag Albert. I was challenged again - especially as I was riding with 2 people much more skilled than me, and the trainers don't know me so I think they thought I was better than I actually am. We did not jump anything big but it was all quite technical and it was all about finding your line and holding your horse on it even over spooky or weird looking fences. So we were doing things like a treble on a curve or a skinny to a corner or a skinny with a water tray under it. It was another step up but we did our best and got there in the end.....

Nice, easy hack planned for today to let her loosen up a bit after working very hard the past 2 days. It's SUNNY!!

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Fab Feb continues.... final SJ lesson before Aston le Walls. Jumped a 90+ course to give me some confidence over that height. Shared the lesson with Katie and Baby-Pony who followed me over the same course! What an awesome pony she is. Full of confidence and cruised the jumps effortlessly. It all felt relaxed and easy today. Hurray. Just need to make sure I ride exactly the same when competing: just focusing on the canter rhythm and looking ahead.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Official pics are here.....

These jumps were quite big but they also were linked together in some fairly challenging lines. So happy with how Amber is going. She is just full of confidence at the moment and helping me out over and over again!

52925254_2169149339831802_5431031766934618112_n.jpg

52607922_2169149539831782_937598778125320192_n.jpg

52793009_2169149726498430_3176685574513754112_n.jpg
52567638_2169151533164916_889624190997495808_n.jpg
52896802_2169153199831416_559828882291687424_n.jpg

Bernster

Visit site
Ooh look at those PROPER jumps 😎. You’re both doing fab.

I’m rubbish when I’m riding a more challenging set of jumps (although in my case that’s probably half the size!) as my riding goes to pot!

I’m hoping I can do a Marvellous March as Feb has been a no go due to getting his flu jabs sorted.

alexomahony

Visit site
These are amazing!!! She looks great and you look great - love how much each photo show you are properly focused on where you're going after the fence.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Ooh look at those PROPER jumps 😎. You’re both doing fab.

I’m rubbish when I’m riding a more challenging set of jumps (although in my case that’s probably half the size!) as my riding goes to pot!

I’m hoping I can do a Marvellous March as Feb has been a no go due to getting his flu jabs sorted.

Thanks, I am very pleased with her and we got there in the end but my riding weas also shocking earlier on in the session! When the jumps scare me I stare at them, don't look or think ahead, get tense, over-ride or under-ride etc. It is hard to ride well when you are also jumping at the limit of what you can actually do.

You didn't see the photos of the out-takes!! ;)

Have fun in Marvellous March!

Ambers Echo

Visit site
These are amazing!!! She looks great and you look great - love how much each photo show you are properly focused on where you're going after the fence.

Thanks! Looking ahead is what my RI has been saying for months. I can hear her voice bellowing "LOOKING AHEAD" as I approach but at the last moment I start staring into the jump because it scares me. And then we land and Amber has no idea where we are going next :rolleyes:

But the last few sessions I have been FINALLY looking ahead better both XC and SJ and it has made soooo much difference.