facilities at livery

margiegran

Visit site
Hi just wondering about peoples liveries, when i first went on to my livery we were told not to use the kitchen at all, as more people have moved on they have just assumed- rightly so- that we can boil a kettle for tea/coffee.
one of the girls rang me, they were told the kitchen is for staff only. what do people think off this:rolleyes:

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Each yard varies, not all yards offer kitchen facilities or even toilets for that matter. On my yard, I could bring my own kettle and boil it outside my stable, but I tend to bring a flask for hot water as its quicker. Its not a big deal.

MissChaos

Visit site
Hi just wondering about peoples liveries, when i first went on to my livery we were told not to use the kitchen at all, as more people have moved on they have just assumed- rightly so- that we can boil a kettle for tea/coffee.
one of the girls rang me, they were told the kitchen is for staff only. what do people think off this:rolleyes:

Why on earth 'rightly so'? You're paying to keep your horse there, not for hot drinks facilities. It's a bonus if you've got them, not some sort of right. It's not as if it was even advertised as having those available - at least some people have been told straight away not to do it. As hollyandivy123 said, their yard, their rules.

If that's your biggest yard issue, you're not doing badly.

HaffiesRock

Visit site
We don't have facilities at all. YO lives on site and tends to make us drinks when she is around, but we wouldn't help ourselves to her kitchen to make them!

margiegran

Visit site
I do think when your paying £100 a week full livery there's no harm in asking if you can boil a kettle, especially when people have had long journey straight from work. we don't expect to cook a meal!

wench

Visit site
I'd interpret the post as there is a "yard" kitchen. If you haven't been told you can t use it then people will use it

pansy

Visit site
To me it would depend on at sort of livery If I was on full then I would expect to be able to use kitchen if on DIY I'm unsure as said you could take a flask - I have provided cups & coffee in the past only to have dirty cups left everywhere no coffee left when I fancied a cup & also broken cups around yard - maybe people have been able to use in the past but the minority have spoiled it for everyone else ??

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
they have just assumed- rightly so- that we can boil a kettle for tea/coffee.One of the girls rang me, they were told the kitchen is for staff only. what do people think off this:rolleyes:

There are so many posts of this type. Why don't people ask questions BEFORE they move onto a yard. This will save loads of problems. People always assume things. Assume nothing, get a contract or at least talk to the YO & ask as many questions as you want. Why wait, move onto a yard & then moan because what you ASSUMED you could do, use, have etc isn't allowed.

catkin

Visit site
Maybe the YO wants liveries to get on with the purpose they are there for - looking after their horses - rather than using it as a yapping-shop and cafe:)

charlie76

Visit site
I'm obviously kind!! I provide my liveries with a kettle, fridge, freezer, microwave, washing machine and on tap hot water, oh I also provide tea, coffee,sugar, milk, cuppa soups and biscuits!!

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I'm obviously kind!! I provide my liveries with a kettle, fridge, freezer, microwave, washing machine and on tap hot water, oh I also provide tea, coffee,sugar, milk, cuppa soups and biscuits!!

Blimey, you ARE kind!

On the three yards I liveried on (two on full livery) we did not have the facilities for making a cuppa. On my own yard, I provide my liveries with a kettle, microwave, tea, coffee, sugar, but not milk biscuits and cuppa soups! I would provide milk but due to it being such a small yard and often only one livery is here in a day, the milk would go off. If anyone knows they are likely to be here a while then they bring their own.

Goldenstar

Visit site
It's up to the yard what they provide .
From the threads I read on here I speculate they might be trying to prevent liverys hanging talking and Errrr falling out.
Seriously though I think it's a bit mean not have somewhere you boil a kettle but if they have enough liverys it's clearly not a problem .

charlie76

Visit site
I only do part livery, they pay 80 per week for rug change, turn out, muck out, bed down, hay nets filled,Day nets put in, water changed, catch, hoof pick and wash, poo picking daily, and lib hay and clean bedding daily. Use of 60 x 20 all weather arena with lights and mirrors and amazing hacking. They also never have to lift a broom!!

hollyandivy123

Visit site
I only do part livery, they pay 80 per week for rug change, turn out, muck out, bed down, hay nets filled,Day nets put in, water changed, catch, hoof pick and wash, poo picking daily, and lib hay and clean bedding daily. Use of 60 x 20 all weather arena with lights and mirrors and amazing hacking. They also never have to lift a broom!!
just out of interest where are you?

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
We don't have a kitchen on the current yard, but we have a kettle set up in the communal tack room, and many liveries have their box of goodies. YO will PAT test the kettles as well for us.

Previous yards have had tea rooms that have had kettles provided for the liveries.

As someone else has said, ask! Although to be honest when I was looking for yards up here, most if not all, advertise if they have a livery tea room/kitchen as one of the selling points!!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I think if you were shown the tea and coffee making facilities when you were shown around the yard you could be forgiven for assuming that the kitchen was for your use, if not then you can assume it is a small kitchen designated for yard staff only, who may offer you a drink from time to time perhaps, but its not for general use.

The electrics at our stables run down from the garage and come off a plug socket - serving the whole yard, so it is not suitable for kettles etc, just lighting and clippers. We used to leave an urn of boiling water for people to use when we had DIY liveries, but didn't allow kettles.

applecart14

Visit site
There are so many posts of this type. Why don't people ask questions BEFORE they move onto a yard. .

Exactly. I took a crib sheet around with me from yard to yard. It had about 20 questions on, such as
1 is it free to use the menage
2 how much does it cost for turn out/bring in
3 how much is trailer parking

etc, etc

I wrote the answers next to the questions and got a variety of comments from the Y.O's about how efficient/sensible/practical I was. Really helped in narrowing down the field as there are loads of yards by us. Sadly my problem is always storage of my free shavings and indoor barn type stabling and horsewalker. Those three I would find hard to compromise on.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I do think when your paying £100 a week full livery there's no harm in asking if you can boil a kettle, especially when people have had long journey straight from work. we don't expect to cook a meal!

You're on full livery - they're not expecting you to need the facilities of a kitchen. Take a flask.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Most yards I have been at dont have a kitchen so most just have there own kettles and own tea and coffee, it doesnt bother me I can go hours without some sort of drink.

Forgot to add one yard I used to be a livery on yo used to charge £4 a week and supply tea, coffee, sugar and milk, the kitchen had central heating and was cleaner than most peoples houses, it was nice to go sit in a heated room when cold but its really hard to prise yourself up again and get outside once warmed up.

Last edited:

webble

Visit site

Wow that sounds like a good deal

MS123

Visit site
I guess it depends on the stables, and the type of service you use. My current stables (I'm on part-livery, but it also offers DIY) has a lovely kitchen area, and we all (liveries) chip in to get tea, coffee etc.