Faecal water syndrome

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I’ve had a revelation!

I have a pony, unfortunately he’s pure white which is incredibly beautiful from about june to September. The rest of the year he looks like a hippo, however the worst bit has always been his sh*tty back legs and tail. It’s just gross. Trial and error tells me it’s nothing to do with grass. In fact the more turnout the better. The less hay the better (?‍♀️)
I’ve tried lots of things. Protexin being the most often recommended, gut balancer does nothing- is gut sponge worth a shout?
Today saw a post on fb about faecal water syndrome and the photos were literally him.
Obviously I’ve heard of it but just not looked into it.
I’ve never seen him expell water but his poo, whilst loose doesn’t correspond with how his back end looks so I’m thinking perhaps this is him?
In summer I wash him constantly but I’m winter it’s hard as I don’t really want his woolly coat drenched daily as he never dries.
Any recommendations please?
I’ve tried lots of gut products but here’s hoping someone comes up with one I haven’t.

Nb, he’s wormed and fec’s always good.

little_critter

Visit site
There’s another post on this running at the moment.
I recommend FW1661 by Trinity Consultants, it’s the only thing that totally cleared up my boys faecal water. Only gave him one bag of it and the problem hasn’t returned. I’d tried the usual protexin and other gut balancers and they had no effect.

here’s the other thread
https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/threads/winter-faecal-water-syndrome.813887/

meleeka

Visit site
Gut Sponge didn’t help for mine, who also has hay related issues. I’ve had success with Acid Ease and also Coligone liquid. She currently doing well on Acid Ease with a 30mls of Aloe Vera juice, in feed twice a day.

SEL

Visit site
Mine is better on fine hay than rough hay which might be why you see an improvement on turnout. It also flares up if her arthritis is causing problems.

She's on acid ease and very basic feed.

I've also spotted she isn't great at lifting her very thick tail which doesn't help.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Thanks! I’m so relieved to have maybe found a reason/answer.
I need to get him some exercise but am just too embarrassed to take him out walking

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Mine is better on fine hay than rough hay which might be why you see an improvement on turnout. It also flares up if her arthritis is causing problems.

She's on acid ease and very basic feed.

I've also spotted she isn't great at lifting her very thick tail which doesn't help.
Interesting. I’ve noticed In our new hay, which is coarse it’s worse, I’ve just started trying a new lot which is very fine and soft.
He only gets a small handful of chaff at night and a tiny, really tiny bit of veteran vitality in the morning (soaked about a mug full) to hide meds in
Tail wise I was told he probably just didn’t lift properly as it was too thick so chopped. Lot off! It’s all down his back legs still though

Last edited:

meleeka

Visit site
Interesting. I’ve noticed In our new hay, which is coarse it’s worse, I’ve just started trying a new lot which is very fine and soft.
He only gets a small handful of chaff at night and a tiny, really tiny bit of veteran vitality in the morning (soaked about a mug full) to hide meds in
Tail wise I was told he probably just didn’t lift properly as it was too thick so chopped. Lot off! It’s all down his back legs still though
Mine is also worse with course hay. I think it’s do do with colon having to work harder with course hay.

I have used waterless shampoo which worked well, with some tail conditioner to help the poo slide off.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Everyone has always said “it’s grass, you never know how much they are getting/ it’s growing)
This makes perfect sense but I have a surfaced turnout pen and when he’s in that rather than the field he’s definitely easier to muck out in the morning.

Nicnac

Visit site
Aha thanks @poiuytrewq; your thread may have found my answer. Mine has only just started this problem this year which I thought was due to EMS and soaked hay BUT I spent ages with my hay supplier this year finding coarser, low sugar hay and he's had the problem since I started feeding the new hay. Next lot I'll go back to the 'nicer' stuff. Mine is grey so feel your pain!

clairebearnz

Visit site
My old boy had this when he was on hay as his back teeth are so worn, he wasn't able to chew properly. He no longer gets hay but I'm lucky enough to have sufficient grass year round. He's also 28 with pretty awful Cushings and a host of other medical issues so we are at a manage until it no longer works stage.

SEL

Visit site
Last year I was chuffed to get coarse hay because all mine are fatties and didn't make the connection until this year's turned up - same fields but cut in a drought so very fine. She's loads better.