Failed fetlock flexion test - advice please!

sarahlowe

www.saumort.com
Hello,
I've just been to have the most delightful horse vetted. He is a 12 yr old french trotter gelding (never raced) with perfect manners.
Everything was fine apart from he went slightly lame on his right front after the flexion test. On repeating the test he was worse. The vet tested his knee alone and used hoof testers on his foot and, on finding nothing, concluded that the problem was in his fetlock. We are now waiting a week to see if he is better and hoping it could have been a twist/pull in the field.
The horse is to be used for hacking and light schooling with the slim chance of mini jumping at some point in the future.

Any thoughts/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Sarah

hellybelly6

Visit site
A lot of horses 10 or over will be sore after a flexion test. Its a good idea to wait a week and see how he is. My horse had a flexion test in 3 legs as part of a lameness examination, and he was leaping and jumping about and trotting on 3 legs each time - a different leg each time.

A month of rest later and he was just lame in the near fore. An x-ray later and he had a mediolateral foot imbalance, corretable with farriery.

If you really like this horse, an x-ray of the area could be considered. Best of luck

Marchtime

Visit site
My pony failed a hind flexion test aged 12yrs old and went on to do pony club and team jumping for many years after. I eventually got in contact with someone who bought her when she was 5yrs old and she failed on flexion then. If you're not looking for a serious competition prospect and the vet thinks it's not looking too serious then I'd proceed. Most vettings will highlight something - a flexion test isn't normally too serious.

jib1987

Visit site
Flexion tests can be tricky because it depends on the vet that does it! If they hold the leg up too high or for too long then obviously the horse is going to be sore afterwards. If the horse isn't for competing then it shouldn't be a problem.

Darkly_Dreaming_Dex

Visit site
Agree with helly- get it xrayed and if its clear, then personally i would go ahead. We had one fail on pastern/ fetlock flexion and we are waiting for the vet to xray as we will still buy the horse if there's nothing nasty brewing.