Failed the vet so the search is back on

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
Vet is coming next week for jabs and teeth. Tempted to get front feet and hocks xrayed while we’re at it...

To what end with the front feet? If it shows anything, the farrier/vet will say shoes, Bute, boxrest, none of which will help and all of which will hinder progress. It doesn't matter if x-rays show bruising or navicular changes - the only way to tackle it is barefoot. Get your diet right, get the horse moving (boots & pads if needed) and don't trim yet. You cannot trim a good foot - you have to grow it. If you trim to try and create what appears to be the correct angle, you will simply drive force onto an area of the foot that isn't ready for it. Video the horse walking and see if it's landing heel first. That is the first job to do - then you'll know what you're dealing with.

ihatework

Visit site
Vet is coming next week for jabs and teeth. Tempted to get front feet and hocks xrayed while we’re at it...

I’d be tempted to hold fire.
You have knowingly bought a vet failure, so presumably accept a level of risk with the intention of riding/rehabbing sound.

I’d be inclined to save your money and see how the horse is moving in 3 months time.

catembi

Visit site
For my own interest, to see if there’s anything going on! Summer arrived with a defect in the hoof wall, so I xrayed in case it was seedy toe. Very clean X-ray, so I could then concentrate on growing out the defect. Which grew out perfectly b/f despite everyone on the yard where she was at the time saying that it wouldn’t without shoes!

I have been to a Nic Barker workshop and do quite a lot of research reading, and I know that shoeing is the worst thing for navicular! Good diet, walking on the road, judicious trimming and in 9 months or so we will have hopefully grown a better hoof...!

Last edited:

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
His front feet seem to have been trimmed back rather drastically sometime between when the pics of him on the dealer's website were taken and the ones you took of him at home. It looks like a rather enthusiastic o_O farrier trim to me, which could have left him a bit sore.

As a matter of interest, how croup high is he? The ad mentions that he is currently croup high, and suggests that he may yet grow another 2" to balance up.

tabithakat64

Visit site
You look very well matched, sometimes it's worth having a horse that you have confidence in above all else.

Big fat dun cob only ever scared me when trying to walk out in hand post box rest and there's a lot to be said for having a horse that you don't immediately want to get off.

catembi

Visit site
He is quite croup high. This is my first QH and I asked the vet whether in her experience he was likely to level up and she said yes...and fill out.

I went to watch a western riding comp and was reminded by the post above saying that they are bred going downhill. I am completely ignorant of western riding but to me it looked like noses near the ground and about to trip over their reins...

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
His front feet seem to have been trimmed back rather drastically sometime between when the pics of him on the dealer's website were taken and the ones you took of him at home. It looks like a rather enthusiastic o_O farrier trim to me, which could have left him a bit sore./QUOTE]

That was my first thought.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Congrats on your new horse- he looks absolutely lovely.

I’ve just bought a non-box-ticking horse based on a feeling, I can’t tell you what a difference it’s made to my life to have a horse that I really enjoy being around.

If it was me, because I have a tendency to want to know everything, I’d probably X-ray feet to see what is going on and test for type 1.

It’s really not an uncommon thing and with proper understanding and the correct diet and exercise in place, they can have very few symptoms.

NinjaPony

Visit site
I think x rays are a good idea. I had front feet and hocks done when my Connie wasn’t quite right in a similar way to yours. They showed slight navicular changes in the front feet and a bit of arthritis in the hocks. Hocks have been treated and are now very carefully managed, ditto front feet, and he is sound, happy and moving better than ever! It just means I know what I’m dealing with.

catembi

Visit site
Well, the vet is coming on Wednesday and the farrier is coming on Tuesday, so the plan is to discuss with both and see where we are.

FWIW, I hacked 15 minutes up the road for a ‘getting started’ lesson with a 4 star eventer yesterday. Bit of flatwork, few trotting poles and a few cross poles and not a lame step. Nor a short step or a pottery one. The best thing is that it was howling an absolute gale, there was so much to look at, dengie sack blowing across the field, galloping horses, a digger in action, banging gate, etc etc and he didn’t spook once! 😄

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
The best thing is that it was howling an absolute gale, there was so much to look at, dengie sack blowing across the field, galloping horses, a digger in action, banging gate, etc etc and he didn’t spook once! 😄

Brilliant! I was watching a horse having tack tried on then being loaded back into the trailer yesterday, in a howling wind tunnel, with black plastic wrapping flapping in several areas around him. My horse would have had his mind BLOWN at that. I was in admiration. It's so important to have a horse you can trust.