Failed vetting :(

charlieee76

New User
Visit site
Hey, a very promising horse failed their vetting this morning :( Just wondering if anyone could give me success stories or how they found their dream partner- back to square one with my search. Thank you!

gallopingby

Visit site
The clue sometimes is in the understanding of the vetting and why it ‘failed’ but…..buying and selling is time consuming and very stressful. Maybe consider using a well established and respected ‘dealer’ you’ll have to pay more probably but could save you a few £1000s on failed vettings in the long run. I bought my last one unseen but with a 5 stage vetting and full history, wasn’t cheap though. Sometimes the right horse will just find you.

Cowpony

Visit site
I bought mine last summer. Wasn't cheap, flew through the vetting. Diagnosed with arthritis in a spinal joint last month. Absolutely gutted. We're now rehabbing after a SI injection, but I may have an unrideable horse at the end of it. I had 3 fail the vet before I found her, so thought I was fated to get this one......

Sorry OP, you probably wanted a more positive response. I've decided that if she doesn't come right I will PTS and I won't be buying another. I still have my 21 year old I can potter about on, but she has hock arthritis, so won't last forever either. It's such a minefield I look at other people riding their horses and wonder how they managed to get an unbroken one.

MisterD

New User
Visit site
I agree it is a minefield. When I was looking for ponies for the children I seemed to travel round the country getting ponies vetted with a view to buy, and the only outcome was telling owners what was wrong with their ponies, spending money on vettings, and becoming poorer each time! It was worth plugging away and one passed in the end, and was the best pony ever!! Worth plugging away, but you definitely don't know what could happen anytime thereafter! A bit like a car passing its MOT - only as good as the day it passed!

Melody Grey

Visit site
Horses for courses- depends what you wanted the horse for and what the failings were. Are they irreconcilable or worth giving some thought to?

94lunagem

Visit site
Horses for courses- depends what you wanted the horse for and what the failings were. Are they irreconcilable or worth giving some thought to?
I’ll second this.

I bought one who technically failed a vetting due to a distended joint capsule at his hock. My insurers excluded it which was fair enough, but it never changed/affected him in the 15+ years I had him. Plenty else did go wrong, but not that!

Clovercr58

Visit site
We bought our horse after she failed the vetting. The owners were convinced she had donked herself in the field as lameness was acute so we took her on a 6 week loan and then re vetted. She then passed with flying colours and we purchased. I think it depends on why he/she has failed

jules9203

www.pensdellequestrian.org.uk
If I'm buying from an owner that has had the horse for a few years I don't get it vetted but I do see the horses vet history. Having said that I don't insure mine either. I know of horses that have gone on and competed successfully after failing a vetting. Depends on what you want to do and why the horse failed.

charlieee76

New User
Visit site
Hey, thank you all for your replies. He failed on a suspected suspensory issue due to his action in trot (toe dragging, lack of true impulsion, not pushing through, going short, lameness etc) and for puffy hocks that brought up bone chip suspicions. I'm wanting a low level allrounder to eventually affiliate and the vet said that he wouldn't hold up to the workload and I would to call him out again in 4 months. Such a shame as he was lovely horse :(

Wishfilly

Visit site
I think it sounds really sensible to walk away. When I was looking, I walked away from one on a borderline vetting, and one where I found something dodgy about the pony online (by googling the registered name).

Maybe they would have been amazing ponies, but my pony is also great and has had very few issues over nearly 4 years now.

This might sound a bit "woo", but sometimes it's meant to be, and sometimes it isn't, and the right horse for you is out there!

Timelyattraction

Visit site
Hey, thank you all for your replies. He failed on a suspected suspensory issue due to his action in trot (toe dragging, lack of true impulsion, not pushing through, going short, lameness etc) and for puffy hocks that brought up bone chip suspicions. I'm wanting a low level allrounder to eventually affiliate and the vet said that he wouldn't hold up to the workload and I would to call him out again in 4 months. Such a shame as he was lovely horse :(
Definitely walk aways. I am going through suspensory issues with my new horse which is what my comment above was in regards to and its a long slog with a not very good prognosis

nutjob

Visit site
He failed on a suspected suspensory issue due to his action in trot (toe dragging, lack of true impulsion, not pushing through, going short, lameness etc) and for puffy hocks that brought up bone chip suspicions.
I'd definitely walk away from this. I've had 3 with suspensory issues, 2 weren't suitable to live as a pet and had to be PTS one is still very mildly lame one year on. I'm also looking for another horse atm, I haven't had a vet failure yet but have had one where the seller pulled out at the last minute on the evening of the vetting.

94lunagem

Visit site
From what you describe you are sensible walking away.

The right one for you is out there, don’t give up.

Melody Grey

Visit site
It would be easy to say scan the suspensories and x- ray the hocks, not that expensive in the grand scheme of things….though the lack of impulsion and action would imply another problem if it’s not those already listed. That’s a shame, better luck next time!

hock

Visit site
I don’t vet or insure. I would like to see trotting up though and turning on concrete tightly both ways, ideally gentle lung on a hard surface. But I’m buying youngsters and they’re well put together. I am always encouraging for buyers to have a vetting though and ride and visit as many times as they like. I also give everyone access to my dentist, vet records, farrier and back person etc. I’ve sold 9 horses in three years and all have vetted fine and have been bought by the first to view (apart from one who is hidden out the back).

Thinking about it I’m quite proud of that record. We never make any money but we do love seeing our super horses out and about being adored! I see vettings more as protection for the seller now. They make me nervous especially if we really like the buyer and we want to sell to them. It covers our arse if anthing should go wrong in the future!

silv

Visit site
When I enquire about a horse I always ask "is there any reason you can think of why this horse won't have a clean vet certificate?" sometimes then they mention issues which may seem minor but it can save a lot of time on wasted viewings.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
When I said I would buy my horse subject to vetting the sellers said they really wouldn't bother. They had him 6 years, everything was up to date. Unfortunately I had just lost a horse to PSD and whilst know a vet couldn't pick that up if sound on the day I just wanted to have have a bit of back up. Horse passed just as they said he would. He was the first one I ever had vetted.

Birker2020

Visit site
Hey, a very promising horse failed their vetting this morning :( Just wondering if anyone could give me success stories or how they found their dream partner- back to square one with my search. Thank you!
I'm so sorry to hear that. If its in the 16.2hh - 17.1hh bracket and a gelding aged between 6-14 is there any chance you can tell me the horses name or better still where he's being sold from, it might save me a lot of money! PM and I promise on Summer and Lari's life not to disclose to a soul.

Jellymoon

Visit site
I second exploring the reputable dealer route. A really good one won’t be risking their business by selling ones that are unlikely to pass a vetting, and many will also need a clean set of X-rays. You also get the 30 day comeback from a proper dealer.
The only thing is, the good ones are generally dealing in youngsters, so depends if you are happy with that.

Birker2020

Visit site
When I enquire about a horse I always ask "is there any reason you can think of why this horse won't have a clean vet certificate?" sometimes then they mention issues which may seem minor but it can save a lot of time on wasted viewings.
I've been doing that too, that's great advice Silv

starbucker

Visit site
I had a fun time looking after 8 months ready to give up, honestly worse than buying a house as atleast dodgey plumbing is fixable... My horse found me through a friend of a friend as they wanted something bigger. Even got on a months trail and now love to pieces even if they are younger and greener than I had wanted. for reference I viewed 23 first ! The one I got was never even advertised

MagicMelon

Visit site

I had a horse who I competed most weekends BS and RC things. Went to sell him, buyers got their own vet to vet him and they failed him! Failed the flexion tests badly on 2 legs and vet informed them he wasnt sound and couldnt stand up to competing. I was so horrified I got my own vet out the same day to re-do the flexion tests, he went to town with them and he passed him no problem. So much comes down to opinion...

gallopingby

Visit site
I think flexion tests are only as good as the person doing them!! A number of factors come into play and if pulling a ‘fail’ on a flexion test l would want a second opinion.

Birker2020

Visit site
I’ll second this.

I bought one who technically failed a vetting due to a distended joint capsule at his hock. My insurers excluded it which was fair enough, but it never changed/affected him in the 15+ years I had him. Plenty else did go wrong, but not that!
But this is the problem isn't it? Could the things that went wrong have been caused by that joint capsule?

I don't think I'd have the confidence to buy a horse that could potentially be a money pit. But by the same token, it's like the uncertainties surrounding xrsys. Just because something shows on an xray doesn't mean the horse will suffer from that issue. That's why I'm in two minds about xraying a potential horse.

nutjob

Visit site
Failing on flexion is very different to failing on the OPs list

Absolutely, I know someone who bought a horse at a knock down price which had failed on flexions, she had it about 20 years and it never had a problem on the legs which failed although it was only generally a happy hacker.

However in the case of the OP the failure is described as toe dragging, lack of true impulsion, not pushing through, going short, lameness etc. This isn't a flexion test failure the horse is not moving correctly in the normal gaits. My wobbler is a toe dragger so was my horse with DSLD/ESPA both of which have / had the other characteristics described in the OP. Both dangerous to ride and incurable. I do sympathise with the OP that buying a horse is not the easiest atm as I'm also looking but I wouldn't even get to the vetting stage if the horse was toe dragging, short etc. The pain in my heart from having one euthanised at age 6, and in my bank balance having a retiree at age 4 are enough to remind me to be super careful.

Birker2020

Visit site
Absolutely, I know someone who bought a horse at a knock down price which had failed on flexions, she had it about 20 years and it never had a problem on the legs which failed although it was only generally a happy hacker.

However in the case of the OP the failure is described as toe dragging, lack of true impulsion, not pushing through, going short, lameness etc. This isn't a flexion test failure the horse is not moving correctly in the normal gaits. My wobbler is a toe dragger so was my horse with DSLD/ESPA both of which have / had the other characteristics described in the OP. Both dangerous to ride and incurable. I do sympathise with the OP that buying a horse is not the easiest atm as I'm also looking but I wouldn't even get to the vetting stage if the horse was toe dragging, short etc. The pain in my heart from having one euthanised at age 6, and in my bank balance having a retiree at age 4 are enough to remind me to be super careful.
Gosh you've been through the mill nutjob, I'm truly sorry.

I'm amazed at the poster that said she'd viewed 23 horses! Whoever it was. Sorry, forgot but did you view videos of them first?

nutjob

Visit site
Gosh you've been through the mill nutjob, I'm truly sorry.
Thanks! I've had horses for a few decades so there have been some high points as well but buying in the current climate is a nightmare. I really hope I won't get to viewing 23 before finding the right one this time but I have weeded out a few based on videos. Good luck with your search I hope you have better luck this time around!