Failing a 2 stage vetting

WeeEmLooty

New User
Visit site
We thought we had found a perfect second pony for my son. He test rode her and we saw her being jumped by the seller over high jumps and she looked fantastic. We paid a deposit and as she was fairly expensive we arranged a 2 stage vetting. After the flexion test the vet noticed lameness in the right hind leg and gave a score of 8/10 . Then during the trotting around in a circle noticed lameness on fore right and gave the score of 5/10. The pony was only 7 years old and vet recommended we renegotiate price or walk away. The seller refused to renegotiate so we walked away, got our deposit back etc. I am wondering if we did the right thing. After researching people say vetting is only a snap shot of that day and can pass a vetting another day. We are fairly new to horses and didn't have a vetting on the first pony we bought. The sort of pony we are looking for seems to be impossible to find at the moment or out of budget which has left we wondering. Any advice welcome. Thank you ?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Failing after flexion test is one area that is very grey to me. If I really liked the pony, I would pay a different vet to simply go do a flexion to see what they think. Some vets really ram the leg up, some not so much.

With no certification, you would simply pay a visit fee and examine horse. You are not looking for diagnostics.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Failing after flexion test is one area that is very grey to me. If I really liked the pony, I would pay a different vet to simply go do a flexion to see what they think. Some vets really ram the leg up, some not so much.

With no certification, you would simply pay a visit fee and examine horse. You are not looking for diagnostics.

I like this idea but be aware that you might be in a very grey area for insurance, because you have a failed vetting. Even if the pony passes the second set of flexions, I doubt the insurer will cover for lameness for at least a year if you disclose it, which you ought to.

I wouldn't personally buy a horse which failed on a hind flexion and also in front on a hard circle. 5/10 is a high score to ignore for lameness on a circle.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I might not have worried too much about the hind lameness if I was present for the vetting and thought the vet had been over-enthusiastic about the flexion but the front leg lameness, which sounds quite severe would have put me off. If your son wants to jump, you need a sound pony. You have probably avoided a large vet bill down the line. There will be another more suitable pony for your son.

WeeEmLooty

New User
Visit site
Thank you for your reply. The flexion tests do seem to be quite controversial. As the vet found lameness in 2 legs with moderate and severe lameness it has worried us. if it was a small amount in 1 leg it would have been different Perhaps a revetting is the only answer.

SO1

Visit site
Absolutely you did the right especially for expensive pony who you want to jump and as it is only 7.

When I bought my pony as a 5 year old he passed a flexion no problem, he even passed a flexion after he fell over on the road and hurt his hock, vet said he was very surprised when he came to check him afterwards. He probably would not pass one now as he is 19 but a young pony that you want for competitive riding you need to be as sound as possible, very different to perhaps if you are wanting a light hack.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i would only do a 2 stage vetting for an older cheaper horse mainly to check heart and eyes as i can check for lameness myself, but if you are paying a lot of money for a pony who is going to jump i would suggest a 5 stage vetting so you can be as sure as possible it will stay sound. as you say it only means its a test which covers that day but i would get bloods taken as well so you can check if its had bute etc

Carrottom

Visit site
I agree with others that you were right to walk away. After all, this why you had the pony vetted.