Fair rent for paddock in Surrey?

Rosie_Bee

New User
Visit site
Hello,

I'm new to the forum but am looking for some advice! I've always had my mare in full livery until now, but she's in foal following a suspensory ligament injury and a neighbour has offered to rent me their paddock while she's having time off. They've said they will accept whatever I think is a fair price in terms of monthly rent - but I've no idea - and wondered if any of you guys might have some suggestions. Its a big paddock - 9 acres - but there is no water or power or field shelter etc. I will have to bring in water, provide electric fencing (the fencing is secure, but not post and rail/suitable for horses on its own) and will probably buy a field shelter for her too. Also, there is a right of way across the bottom of the field so that bits not useable. If anyone has any idea of a fair price for a field of this nature I would be extremely grateful - I can't seem to find anything on the internet which is comparable!

Many thanks,

Rosie

Rosie_Bee

New User
Visit site
Thanks - that's a good idea - would that still work if I borrowed a pony to keep her company - would I have to x the amount by 2? Hope not!

Rosie x

OWLIE185

Visit site
Minimum value of land would be at least £7,000 per acre.
Total value of land = £63,000
Rental would be £4,200.00 per year.

Anything less than £350 per month and you have got a bargain!

You will probably need planning permission for a field shelter (moveable or not). Make sure the field has got planning permission for Equine use.

Good luck!

Archie07

Visit site
My yearling is on DIY grass livery in a field in Surrey with 3 mares and I pay £70 a month. We have electricity and water, a small yard with stabling if needed, but no man made field shelter just tree's and hedges. Hope that gives an idea.

native

Visit site
I agree it's a bit steep. I rent 9 acres in Surrey with 2 self filling troughs. Fencing is maintained by the farmer, but it's barbed wire so I use my own electric, there's plenty of natural shelter but no field shelter. For the field I pay £200 per month and I keep 5 horses on it. I do also rent 2 big boxes seperately.

Lordy100

Visit site
Amount you pay for rent will also depend on the quality of the grazing. If its been left anyone renting it on agricultural terms would pay a lesser amount.

If you have a footpath doesn't mean you can't use that part of the land, mine fields have a footpath going through.

Faro

Visit site
I think £350 a month is not just a bit steep - but VERY steep. I rent 8 acres, two stables, feed room and storage buildings for less than that in South Bucks - which isn't that far away from Surrey and is in an equally expensive part of the Home Counties. My electric is extra, but at least I have electric, and I have mains water for which there is no charge.

9 acres is a good sized field for just a mare and foal, but considering the extra work for you, and the total lack of facilities, I wouldn't be prepared to pay more than £100 per month for the whole field. (And bearing in mind that in this area it is possible to get a grass livery, with use of facilities, for £15 per horse per week).

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
depends where in surrey - the closer to london, the more valuable the grazing is essentially.

I pay £200/month for grass livery with very good facilities (arena, locked storage, secure yard, holiday cover etc. etc.) So I would have thought in the region of £80-£150 per month, depending on location and on quality of grazing.

chocolate86

Visit site
I pay £90/ month in guildford including stable. Has water, electricity and summer bouse (which has bedroom and tv room incase horses are ill or waiting for ppl) has fab grazing, small yard with jumping paddock and grass schooling area, next door farm has sand school. Also my foal is going to be half price £45 a month as he will be out at grass with a pony. I was paying £180/month for just grass and a posher, busier yard with sand school on site so can vary quite a bit.

Rosie_Bee

New User
Visit site
Thanks everyone, this is all really useful! We are just outside Guilford off the A3. The grazing looks pretty good - they had sheep on it last year and its been topped recently.

Rosie x

MizElz

Visit site
We rent 0.2 of an acre for £100 a month, for one horse....

I think our landlords are taking the piddle!
smirk.gif

rachelh101

Visit site
Where in Surrey are you? We have a mare in foal who we were thinking of sending to stud so there will be other mares and younstock company for the foal but if you are wanting a companion we may be interested in sharing
smile.gif

Rosie_Bee

New User
Visit site
Hello cyrilcyril - we are in West Clandon - just outside Guildford. Where are you? Our foal is due quite late - the end of June, but we are likely be looking for another mare and foal to pal up with when the time comes!

chocolate86

Visit site
Im in west clandon too!!Mine is coming around the end of October/early November after weening, we have a gereatric 33year old pony whos going to take him under his wing : )

rachelh101

Visit site
Oh we are due early, in February so not sure how it would work as we are new to all this breeding stuff but let me know what you think.