Fairfax Bridles

teddy_

Visit site
Fairfax bridles, are they worth it?

Scenarios of improved way of going or vice versa would be most appreciated ?.

I have a highly sensitive Trakehner and based on research, I think one of these bridles might make a small difference for him (and me!).

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Surprisingly and possibly a cheaper try it out version but one of the horses at work won a synthetic Fairfax bridle. It’s a grackle from the racing range. I’m not sure if they would be similar to the proper version but certainly the racehorses are liking it

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I’m a big fan, and with the horses I’ve used them on I’ve seen a marked difference in way of going. That said, I’ve also known several friends try them and see no real difference, so like with most things it really is horses for courses.

RachaelJC

Visit site
My horse loves his. He was quite tight in his poll all the time and it was recommended to me by a friend. Really noticed a difference within a fortnight from not pulling away when bridling to generally being still with his head whilst working, and concentrating more. I really wouldn't be without it.

I also have a £40 synthetic racing Fairfax bridle for working in heavy rain or lunging. Dunk it in water and it's as good as new!

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I'm very tempted, my saddle and girth are made by fairfax. The sedgewick leather is beautiful.
I don't actually need a new bridle but if I believed the marketing blurb, I'd buy one tomorrow. Sadly, from past experience, I'm a bit of a cynic now, so need a bit more evidence before commiting.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I don't actually need a new bridle but if I believed the marketing blurb, I'd buy one tomorrow. Sadly, from past experience, I'm a bit of a cynic now, so need a bit more evidence before commiting.
There are places that do ridden trials, so you can try before you buy. Freedom Saddlery (NE Wales) is one.

I'd highly recommend going down that route. Steph will make sure that you are sorted with the right size, noseband etc and you can decide for yourself if it's worth investing in.

I don't have a Fairfax bridle myself, but I'd do the trial if I was thinking of buying. She advised against trialling the bridle on the same day that I was there for a saddle fit (ended up buying a Fairfax saddle, as it happens) - too many variables.

Goldenstar

Visit site
They are horribly expensive .
But I do think they are very good .
Very recently I put Skys on Blue the cob because it was dirty and Blues bridle was clean the difference was immediate ,I felt guilty that I had not thought to put it on him months ago ( hangs head ) because thinking about it he has some warning flags for nerve discomfort in his face .
I have two with a set of nose bands .I am not a fan of the cavesson it does not work with all horse but does on some .I just use the cavesson off my Albion KB bridle if I don't like fairfax on them .
For me they have been worth ever penny .
I also have a dressage saddle which I love and several girths which again work on some but not all and the Brest girth which made an astonishing difference to the horse I bought it for .

hock

Visit site
I’ve slowly changed all my bridles over to Fairfax. I bought 2 new ones after trialling and then I’ve bought second hand ones as they’ve come up for sale. I’ve been really happy with them but they do need to last for years as the price is painful. I’ve had some great bargains off eBay though.

teddy_

Visit site
What magical thing is it supposed to do?

If only it were magical... I think it's more that these bridles have extensive scientific research behind them in terms of eliminating any pressure points ergo, potentially improving the way of going for the more sensitive horse.

Having spoken to Fairfax, their response was 'try before you buy' as if the bridle is going to 'work', that would more or less be immediate.

Needless to say, nothing replaces good training (for horse and rider) however, if something helps... why not :)?

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
If only it were magical... I think it's more that these bridles have extensive scientific research behind them in terms of eliminating any pressure points ergo, potentially improving the way of going for the more sensitive horse.

Having spoken to Fairfax, their response was 'try before you buy' as if the bridle is going to 'work', that would more or less be immediate.

Needless to say, nothing replaces good training (for horse and rider) however, if something helps... why not :)?

Thanks teddy_eq for that.

Yes exactly... why not and whilst these innovators are creating good quality stuff we should at least check it out.

What I don't understand from the so-called research is that the standards they use is not at all the BHS/classical way of fitting standard tack. It shows tack that is overtightened, cranked, and restrictive - which I understand because that is the norm in competition - can't ride a horse unless it's blood vessels are cut off.

What would be nice to see as comparators are correctly fitted standard tack - loose enough for movement of the jaw, poll and breathing tubes. Very poor science in my opinion. However, some horses appear that they are unrideable unless straps are tight enough to at least shrink it's face, so maybe such bridles are a Godsend for them.