Fairfax Monoflap Saddle Issues- PLEASE HELP!

What do people think I should do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HolsteinersUK

Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I would really appreciate as many opinions as possible on the following:

I spent absolutely ages selecting a saddle for my Holsteiner youngster, I decided to go for the Fairfax Monoflap as I loved the close contact feel, the option to adjust the gullet widths (young horse) and the professional appearance of the saddle. My youngster goes well in the saddle, although it is his first saddle so have nothing to compare it with. However the wear of the saddle has been excessive. Fairfax have replaced the saddle flaps several times for me, which was great. The flaps have since worn excessively again, so I had to contact Fairfax again... gosh they hate me! Before complaining again, I did a survey of all the saddles at my yard (30 saddles!) and mine was the youngest and the most worn. The flaps were less than 10 months old at this point as well! Also, I ride in soft leather boots- so these should not be causing the issue.

So, Fairfax agreed that they would replace the wear strips one last time and then they would not touch the saddle again in the future. I accepted. When I received the saddle back, I was quite shocked at the workmanship from Fairfax as the wear strips where excessively glued and the new stitching was already coming apart (see the photos in my photo album- under profile). I have emailed the photos to Fairfax and they have taken no responsibility for this or even acknowledged the poor workmanship. They have said there is nothing more they can do for me and left me with a saddle in rather a state- it failed the tack inspection before dressage last week and I only received the saddle back from Fairfax the day before!

I have been so disappointed with their customer service as they have not accepted that there is an issue with the quality of the saddle and made me feel like I am absolutely crazy to complain to them. Also, the Fairfax representative I have spoken to on the phone actually said it was not her problem as she is in sales and when asked who I need to talk to she stated that someone would call me back... still waiting (5 days later!).

I am now stuck with a saddle that they have recently repaired, which is falling apart already. A qualified saddler who has inspected the saddle for me has mentioned that I should get trading standards involved. I am reluctant to do this as I hate complaining and all this hassle. I just want a good saddle for the price I paid and to get on to enjoy it with my youngster.

So, what on earth do I do?

Mudfukkle

Visit site
Trading standards

The more I hear about Fairfax, the less I like them!

I have a dressage saddle that must be all of 20 years old, I have just had it serviced by the maker and it is like new!

HolsteinersUK

Visit site
I have had the saddle for 2 years from new, however the panels have been replaced multiple times. The photos showing the excess wear are of panels that were 10 months old at the time. The photos of the newly replaced wear strips coming off were taken the moment the saddle was returned to me (before riding on it) after Fairfax replaced the strips due to excess wear... again.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Personally the wear in the pictures wouldn't have bothered me, however the shoddy workmanship shown in the repair would have.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
It looks like a child has glued it together, what a mess.

Is this the same company that makes the eye watering expensive dressage girth ?

Capriole

Visit site
I see they've got a FB page. Many companies appear to take more notice of complaints when they are made on their public wall ;)(Course, some will just delete you and continue to ignore you, mentioning no names, lol)

HolsteinersUK

Visit site
Yes it is- the saddle retails between £1500-£1800. They also make Thorowgood ad Kent and Masters saddles. If the saddle had not been so expensive then the wear would not have bothered me too much either. I think it has disappointed me most as I do not feel it is good value for money.

djlynwood

Visit site
The wear on the flap looks exactly like on my Kent and Masters saddles. I thought that the leather on the Fairfax was meant to be better quality. I dont mind it on my £800 saddle but would if I had paid double that.