Faithful old lorries?

now_loves_mares

Visit site
I guess I'm cheating a bit. I had an Old Old T-reg D Series (Florry the lorry) that was mahoosive. 4 horse but aluminium body so good payload. 24ft body. It had 4 gears, which meant really only 2 gears to play with; and no power steering. It was slow and smelly and I loved it. Eventually the body was swapped onto an A Reg Cargo. Called Les. (As in LesCargo, geddit?). This did me for years - an amazing 5 gears, plus power steering. And now I've just put the same body onto a positively brand new (1998 ;) ) Eurocargo. Although we shortened it and rather smartened it up a bit!

So it's still the same body :p BUT - Florry, the original D-series, is still being used as my Dad turned it into a cement lorry so it now has a second life. Although he is about to upgrade the cement lorry to the A-reg cargo. We're all about modernity here :D

Boysy

Visit site
*coughs*

My Daisy Dodge 5.6ton is now 28yrs old and chugging along fine and dandy..........just passed another MOT bless her, she isn't pretty but she does the job, i just can't part with her, so what if she needs a snifter up the trumpet to start every now and again - LOL!

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
I guess I'm cheating a bit. I had an Old Old T-reg D Series (Florry the lorry) that was mahoosive. 4 horse but aluminium body so good payload. 24ft body. It had 4 gears, which meant really only 2 gears to play with; and no power steering. It was slow and smelly and I loved it. Eventually the body was swapped onto an A Reg Cargo. Called Les. (As in LesCargo, geddit?). This did me for years - an amazing 5 gears, plus power steering.

Haha yes I had an old D series and like you say the joy at having a 5th gear & power steering when we got a Roadrunner was immeasurable!

Carefreegirl

Visit site
Not mine but a few years ago a friend bought a B reg little lorry that we called the ice-cream van - It was shocking and I personally wouldn't of put a sheep in it let alone a horse !
Anyway, she sold it and off it went. An hour later an AA van appeared round the corner (you could only see the front half of his van) The driver looked around then pulled forward with a lurch and as the tow strap took up the slack the lorry 'leapt' round the corner.
The YO came out and said 'thought you'd got rid of that eyesore ?'

It was a very funny sight - though not for my friend :D
She sold it for scrap in the end.

Clava

Visit site
Here's The Falcon.
P1060307-1-1.jpg

asterid

Visit site
Another one for the VW Club. A 1984 VW coachbuilt LT35. Had a wonderful new paint job by me last year! Looks great actually!

Mechanic, said it was in really good nick when he saw it last.

I love her, even if we do sit next to 40k + lorries at BSJA!

Its not what you come in, but what you bring out of it :)

Bobbly

Visit site
Last Saturday we bought at auction a Volvo FL4 1988 330k kms wooden sided hunting style box for £2600. T&T till June next year it started first time when we went to fetch it. OH is intending to refurbish it from top to toe (well tyre maybe). Reliable? we shall see........

Llanali

Visit site
Delightful Douglas sailed through his test today :) but he needs a new battery- old one isnf holding charge very well. Anyone know what battery he needs?? Dodge e reg, I know it's a 12v car but god knows what type!!

However he is now sadly on the market- hopefully his new owner will keep his name so he can stay on the dream d team!

Tooty1

Visit site
Hi

Following this thread, I take it then that age would not put you off when buying a lorry? I am a first time buyer, so what should I be considering if the box is 'aged'? Any help/ advice would be much appreciated :)

Zerotolerance

Visit site
Years ago I used to have a fabulous old Bedford TK that was first registered in 1977, although it was manufactured in 1973, but originally being an army lorry sat in a hanger for 4 years before being registered. I see from the DVLA vehicle check that it's still going so someone out there must still have it! Would love to know it's still okay. Wonderful sturdy lorry with a wooden container - max speed about 55 flat out but pulled like a dream through mud and up hills (good old army gearing!) Does anyone still have PUC320R?
I now have a 1994 Scania Oakley 6 horse - so at 18 a spring chicken by comparison! However, it used to be Nick Skeltons - does that get any extra points?

Llanali

Visit site
Age doesn't bother me- my dodge has full service history and has been looked after which I'd say was more important. It's not exactly speedy but it is more reliable than the s reg iveco we have, is easy to work on due to its bonnet and access through the cab hatch. It fits Massey ferguson parts too!! The more I think about doug the less I want to sell him. He's been my friend in long trips :)

PoshDonkey

Visit site
Llanali, re the battery - we replaced the one in Dora The Explorer last year, can't remember what type, but we went to our local motor spares shop and told them what it was for,they checked and supplied it for us. Not too expensive either ;).

I think once you should keep Douglas - once you've named them they're part of the family, a bit like not naming farm animals lol!

Llanali

Visit site
I want to but have got to get a 3.5t instead :(
I adore him. We had such fun at stay away shows. Pricing him is sooo difficult- he's priceless to me but not in reality!! Please do pm me how much te battery was! Thanks

Llanali

Visit site
Max the merc- love it!

The guys at vosa rolled their eyes this morning and told us Douglas was "unique to see and hear" but did all the right things and was sound in all the right places. I don't know why they think he won't pass when he always does!!

PoshDonkey

Visit site
Sorry Llanali, I'm away from home just now so don't have access to receipts and things for a few days.

When I get home I have to book Dora in for test, last year the tester was thrilled to see her as he used to work with Dodge 50's so I hope he does the test again this year! We optimistic for a respray before next show season - she's still wearing her original conversion livery from a very long time ago.

Llanali

Visit site
Our tester was surprised to see one still running!!! :( miserable. He was really happy though, just says her rusty patch on her bumper added character! No rust where it counts- so I think the bumper is a beauty blemish lol