Fal Or Premier Equine?

gryff

Visit site
I've always been massive PE fan, but the last two rugs that I've bought have been awful. The flyrug cut my girl's chest to pieces after just 2 hours of wearing it and the no fill turnout that I bought rubbed the withers of both my horses after a day wearing them. I'll never buy any more now. I've even sold my previously perfectly adequate Buster rugs and upgraded to a Rambo Duo 😁.

Last edited:

Beausmate

Visit site
I have two PE rugs from years ago, back when they were new on the market. Fal used to be very good, but I could never afford them back then.

So, if both of them are pants these days, any recommendations for something else?

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Rambo are the best really. I’ve got a very expensive liner system Rambo I’ve had for 3 years and it’s been worn most days by the same horse. However it’s not a 50g it’s a no fill with liners. These days I probably wouldn’t buy another tho as I tend to buy shires or gallop and just replace if broken/dirty.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I've got the HW Rhino rugs with liners. Not quite as eye wateringly expensive as the Rambos but just as good for layering. Rugs never need commercial cleaning, liners fit well, don't rub and are a real breeze to get in the machine and dry in a day.

Doublethyme

Visit site
PE have dropped in quality in my opinion from the early ones so I've stopped buying and gone back to Horseware. However I would disagree on FAL. Their latest relaunch of rugs are really nice and beautifully made. Certainly ones I will be considering when I need to change any.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
PE have dropped in quality in my opinion from the early ones so I've stopped buying and gone back to Horseware. However I would disagree on FAL. Their latest relaunch of rugs are really nice and beautifully made. Certainly ones I will be considering when I need to change any.

If you haven’t actually used one on a horse I wonder how you can be so confident they are beautifully made! The last one I bought looked great and very cleverly thought out. Didn’t last a season and my horses don’t wreck rugs!

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Definitely not fal. The only rug in years to have rubbed my horse on his shoulders. I rrally like the amigo ones. Cheap and light. I'd love Rambo, but my purse doesn't like the prices!

Louby

Visit site
If I was to spend FAL/PE money, then I would go for Rambo. Ive one thats at least 10 yrs old and is still going strong, was used on a rug wrecker too. As others have said FAL used to be fab but I think they stopped making them over here and they were made in China or somewhere that way :) and the quality dropped but the price didnt! The only PE Ive had didnt fit well, although I did love their old style fly rugs. For cheaper makes then I rate Shires and mid price Weatherbeeta.

zaminda

Visit site
I have several FAL's, they are all great, including the one I bought second hand for £40. The Rambos we have are all much smaller than they used to be, and the quality isn't where it was. That said, the amigos are now good for the money. I think a lot of it is luck of the draw if you get a good one, which when you are spending a lot of money is disappointing.

jenni999

Visit site
I have a chunky ISH and PE are just too small at the front these days, as are most other makes. I've discovered Big Horse Shop which fit well and don't rub.

southerncomfort

Visit site
Rambo are the best really. I’ve got a very expensive liner system Rambo I’ve had for 3 years and it’s been worn most days by the same horse. However it’s not a 50g it’s a no fill with liners. These days I probably wouldn’t buy another tho as I tend to buy shires or gallop and just replace if broken/dirty.

Agree with this. I like all the Horseware ranges of rugs but nowadays rugs at the lower end of the market are really decent quality. It makes better financial sense to me to buy cheaper and replace as and when needed. Most of my rugs are Shires. I've had them three years and they are still going strong.

Embo

Visit site
I bought the Falpro liner system last year and I really like it. Fits my horse really well, really good quality. I was really impressed and really rate it.

I liked it so much, when my horse came in soaked through one rainy day wearing his old 0g rain sheet, I decided to replace it with a Falpro.

I bought it a few months ago when it was on offer. Started using it in September and was very impressed. Until yesterday, I got a text from the yard saying B had come in and had broken his rug.

I arrived to find that the webbing straps holding the chest surcingles had worn/frayed and split, so the surcingles had fallen off. There is no damage at all the the rug and the stitching is intact. I don't believe he's caught the rug on anything as the whole front panel would show some sort of stress. I think the metal hardware has been rubbing and essentially cut the webbing.

These rugs do come with a warranty, so I've emailed Falpro this morning, so will see what they come back with.

I've otherwise been really happy with these rugs, so I'm quite disappointed - but I will await their response before I get really upset!

Beausmate

Visit site
I've found the quality of Shires has gone down recently. I bought a rug from the Big Horse Shop and found it wasn't deep enough for my cob, it leaked and he tore it within a month. It is now an expensive spare, having been repaired and reproofed. I bought him a Horseware rug and chest extender and it's been brilliant so far. But it's not the right weight for what I want.

Even the Horseware stuff is made in China now.

Carrots&Mints

Visit site
I bought a FAL rug from hoys last year, full neck heavy weight. Odd things keep happening, no sooner had my horse gone out in the field, the rug fell off and was semi destroyed, paid to get it fixed by reputable repairer at home, put it on the same horse, came in again wrecked! Not put it back on since, doesn't happen with any other rug other than the FAL :| and no im not being blonde or stupid, it just doesn't want to stay on the horse!!! (I know, even im laughing at my comments as I know how ridiculous I sound but its true!!)

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Or any other 50gm turnouts that can take a liner?

TIA.

Fal every time the original ones- I find PE not in the same class and would never buy one

Don't like Rambo for my big chested horse and the Only other rug I would buy is a Shires - so it is Fal and Shires for me

Abbeygale

Visit site
I have used PE for many years, but have gradually moved away from them. Even the LW rugs are ridiculously heavy when wet, and I find that they slip back on the withers on all my horses.

My older mare has Horseware rugs - the Amigo's fit her best, with a Rhino being a close second. My younger mare is now in Weatherbeeta rugs and doing well in them. the Horseware on my younger mare just never quite sat right - possibly because of the more upright cut in the neck which didn't suit her larger shoulders.

Beausmate

Visit site
I've taken your advice and left both the Fal and PE on the shelf :D

I've bought a Bucas Irish and i'm hoping it fits the fat tart better than the big idiot's fits him! Poor old sod looks like he is wearing a mini skirt in it, but I've had it for years and it hasn't fallen apart or leaked yet...

alwaysbroke

Visit site
Was going to suggest Bucas, I have been really impressed with the Power Turnouts, used to have PE but really do not like the new rugs they are selling, unfortunately my 10 yr old plus ones have given up the ghost

Doublethyme

Visit site
If you haven’t actually used one on a horse I wonder how you can be so confident they are beautifully made! The last one I bought looked great and very cleverly thought out. Didn’t last a season and my horses don’t wreck rugs!

My sister, niece and friend are all using them and are very pleased. Including on a renowned rug wrecking warmblood. I'm keeping an open mind but can only form an opinion on what I have seen.