Fall, Broken Collarbone & Now Operation :( - experiences?

Hoofprints101

Visit site
Hi all,

Coming here for a little bit of a moan but I also have some questions to ask.

I'll start with the questions for those who are uninterested in the back story.

1. Has anyone else had to have a metal plate with screws put in, and if so your experiences
2. How long was your recovery period?
3. Have you had it removed with a second surgery?
4. Has is impeded riding at all?

I'll be grateful for any responses!

*warning - small novel*

So, 4 weeks ago I was out on a hack with a friend and we were cantering back on our way home, (the irony was that we were going to school that day, but the good weather drew us out) and when doing so my boy's front right leg went down a hole and we basically had a rotational fall with him flipping over and I going flying. I remember seeing the ground and then being on the floor - I am almost certain that I didn't loose conciousness, but it all just happened so quickly. I was lying there with my boy (Blue) next too me and I immediately sat up [despite my friend, saying I was to stay put] - it was a horrible moment Blue's leg was at the most awkward angle and he was lying on his side with my reins over his head. Normally he's a bit scatty and doesn't lie down (just rolls and then immediately jumps up); thinking this was soon to happen I moved up by his head to avoid being stood on if he was to get up. My friend is ringing for an ambulance as I hadn't even noticed my shoulder was sore at this point, just very worried about Blue and insisting on calling the vet instead. All in all it was a scary few minutes as Blue's eyes started to close while he was still lying on the floor and I seriously feared that the worst was happening in front of me.
With the ambulance called and on it's way I was sitting at Blue's head and although breathing he was still lying down and eyes shut.
Thankfully after a few minutes his eyes darted open and he jumped up ridiculously quick (good job I had moved) - I've never been so happy so far in my life.

But with him up, I put my right arm back and soon realised that my shoulder was very sore, and soon shock came over me; I was sitting on the floor in the forest resting back on a fallen log - it was a very serial experience; my sight completely went and also did my hearing, but I knew very fully that I was awake and sitting.
Not too much later three lovely paramedics found me and did the obvious checks and looked at my shoulder to which I had an unsightly new lump, and with that they said it was almost defiantly a broken clavicle, I wasn't too disheartened as I knew collarbone breaks where very common and I know lots of horsey friends who have had them.

My poor friend had to walk the horses in hand back to our yard while I was whisked away in the clean ambulance which I subsequently turned a shade of mud.

Anyways, after I had the x-ray it was clear to see that I had a very obvious break so I was given a sling and told to rest have painkillers and book in an appointment with the fracture clinic.
The vet was called out immediately to give Blue a check over and remarkable he came out completely unscathed, with the vet saying if he hadn't been told of the fall he wouldn't have even known - in regards to the frightening few minutes to where he basically passed out the vet said it sounded as though he had winded himself as he had hit the ground. (so so please that Blue was OK)

Few days later I attended my first fracture clinic appointment to which the doctor said that - like with a lot of clavicle breaks they just leave it in a sling and the bone should realign and mend itself, I thought great few weeks and I'll be back riding!

However, yesterday, 4 weeks later, I had my second fracture clinic appointment and had another x-ray which showed basically no improvement and my bone had barely moved to rejoin itself and therefore he has suggested that the only real option is an operation with a metal plate put in to realign my collarbone, fixed with 3 screws either side.

The operation is only 1 hour long and I just have to stay one night, but I'm feeling rather ominous about it - I know that in recent history they would metal plate the majority of collarbone breaks without a second thought, however they are more reluctant to do so in present times, so it is not uncommon, but I was wondering if anyone else has had an experiences with the metal plate put in?

I am a little anxious :(

Sorry that it is such a long post and congratulations for making it to the end! I'm having to type this all with my left hand, so I wont say how long it has taken me!

EllenJay

Visit site
Wow - that sounds like a horrible fall. Pleased you and Blue are relatively unscathed, it could have been far worse.

I have no advice re the shoulder, but fingers crossed that if will heal quickly.

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
Gosh, what an awful fall, I'm so sorry, but glad that you and Blue are not too badly injured.
I'm afraid I've got no advice, just wanted to say get well soon, and hope it doesn't hurt too much! xxx

JackInABox

Visit site
Ouch that fall sounds horrible!

I broke my collar bone two years ago, I had the same thing of waiting a few weeks to see if it healed but then had a plate and six screws put in as it hadn't moved at all. I wasn't even kept in over night from my surgery, however I was back in the next day as I had a muscle spasm in my neck from the position I'd been in during the operation. It was painful but easily sorted with diazepam. I took about two weeks afterwards to get back up to the yard, and was riding (walk only in the school and still in my sling!) after four weeks. I didn't trot or canter until about six weeks, and then jumping and hacking were a few weeks after that. By about eight weeks after the surgery I was riding and doing yard jobs as normal. My plate has been left in, it doesn't cause any problems and I don't notice it any more. I have a lump where the plate is, a barely noticable scar and a small numb section around it. I have lots of photos and x-rays of it healing and of the scar, I'd be happy to show you if you want to see, you might find it reassuring to see how well it's healed. Glad to hear Blue is ok and I hope you feel better soon!

Hoofprints101

Visit site
Thank you EquiiEquestrian556! Again, a very lovely person.

Me too! I've already had to skip a few events - hoping it won't put a dampener on competing this summer

Hoofprints101

Visit site
Thanks for responding to the post JackInABox - yes you've installed more confidence into me!

Sounds great that you've not had any subsequent issues with it, and riding again hasn't really been a problem.

If I could see the pictures that would be fantastic - google images wasn't too helpful

Sukistokes2

Visit site
I hope you heal up really quickly and are back in Blues saddle before you know it. I am very glad your lad was ok. I had a similar fall, however I landed on my head, knocked myself out, gave myself two black eyes, a broken nose and a very sore neck, which still gives me gib years later. My pony of the time , Star , was fine.

Dizzydancer

Visit site
Hi

My OH had a similar experience except off a mountain bike, I am a physio and from seeing te first X-ray doubted any self healing but Dr was keen to let it be so I ensured we had lots of check ups weekly, by week 3 Dr admitted I was right and actually the swelling had reduced and the bone was threatening to come out of his skin (lovely).
He had the op ( it was in several pieces and needed a small graft to allow for the plate, he has 6 screws in total) he was off work 8 weeks in total so only 5 weeks after the op he is an engineer and had to be careful of heavy lifting until 8 weeks post op. He was riding a bike again within 4-5weeks post op took a bit longer before mountaib biking but more due to the concussion through arms so not same as riding a horse.
He had full range within 2 weeks post op and was out of the sling within days- personally I would say it is a much better outcome. He has no issues with it now the sensation is only lost around scar tissue (post op for a few months he lost sensation down to below his nipple and top of arm but had no movement issue). Due to nature of his he hasn't had the plate out as that is what gives it the support now, at his year check up they said to leave it as no issues- if he had it out I think it was a Few days off work then back to it. Obviously the biggest risk is coming off again on that side as now it would break either side of te plate and be a mess to put back together!!
But overall from seeing lots of people who are left to heal naturally (including his sister in law who had very similar injury and mechanism of injury) compared to him I would actually say the op is better ( it's just a pain they drag it out instead of doing straight away)
Feel free to PM if you have any questions/ sorry that was an essay!

Hoofprints101

Visit site
Thank you too Sukistokes2! - and oh my! That sounds awful! Can physio help with your neck at all?

Ahh horses! They're tough animals on the whole.

Hoofprints101

Visit site
Thank you DizzyDancer, not at all, fellow essay writers are welcome.

Ahh interesting to hear about your OH, I too also am in the situation with my bone excessively point out of my skin - however thankfully mine is a clean break. Glad that he and his sister in law have had a seemly complete recovery.

Yes, the issue of breaking it again with a plate in is a little daunting and something that the doctor said was something that may need to be considered.

I too agree that it's been a pain waiting 4 weeks to have the op anyway.

Yes I will PM you if that is ok! :)

Doormouse

Visit site
My mother broke her collarbone and it was pretty bad. They sent her home in a sling and said they would monitor the healing. Eventually after 9 months they finally agreed it wasn't going to heal and plated it!

She was pretty sore post op and also had bad neck pain from the position she was in during the op but otherwise she was back going again very quickly and hasn't had a moments bother from it since.
Take arnica before and after op, the bruising was the worst bit.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Hi all,

Coming here for a little bit of a moan but I also have some questions to ask.

I'll start with the questions for those who are uninterested in the back story.

1. Has anyone else had to have a metal plate with screws put in, and if so your experiences
2. How long was your recovery period?
3. Have you had it removed with a second surgery?
4. Has is impeded riding at all?

I'll be grateful for any responses!

*warning - small novel*

So, 4 weeks ago I was out on a hack with a friend and we were cantering back on our way home, (the irony was that we were going to school that day, but the good weather drew us out) and when doing so my boy's front right leg went down a hole and we basically had a rotational fall with him flipping over and I going flying. I remember seeing the ground and then being on the floor - I am almost certain that I didn't loose conciousness, but it all just happened so quickly. I was lying there with my boy (Blue) next too me and I immediately sat up [despite my friend, saying I was to stay put] - it was a horrible moment Blue's leg was at the most awkward angle and he was lying on his side with my reins over his head. Normally he's a bit scatty and doesn't lie down (just rolls and then immediately jumps up); thinking this was soon to happen I moved up by his head to avoid being stood on if he was to get up. My friend is ringing for an ambulance as I hadn't even noticed my shoulder was sore at this point, just very worried about Blue and insisting on calling the vet instead. All in all it was a scary few minutes as Blue's eyes started to close while he was still lying on the floor and I seriously feared that the worst was happening in front of me.
With the ambulance called and on it's way I was sitting at Blue's head and although breathing he was still lying down and eyes shut.
Thankfully after a few minutes his eyes darted open and he jumped up ridiculously quick (good job I had moved) - I've never been so happy so far in my life.

But with him up, I put my right arm back and soon realised that my shoulder was very sore, and soon shock came over me; I was sitting on the floor in the forest resting back on a fallen log - it was a very serial experience; my sight completely went and also did my hearing, but I knew very fully that I was awake and sitting.
Not too much later three lovely paramedics found me and did the obvious checks and looked at my shoulder to which I had an unsightly new lump, and with that they said it was almost defiantly a broken clavicle, I wasn't too disheartened as I knew collarbone breaks where very common and I know lots of horsey friends who have had them.

My poor friend had to walk the horses in hand back to our yard while I was whisked away in the clean ambulance which I subsequently turned a shade of mud.

Anyways, after I had the x-ray it was clear to see that I had a very obvious break so I was given a sling and told to rest have painkillers and book in an appointment with the fracture clinic.
The vet was called out immediately to give Blue a check over and remarkable he came out completely unscathed, with the vet saying if he hadn't been told of the fall he wouldn't have even known - in regards to the frightening few minutes to where he basically passed out the vet said it sounded as though he had winded himself as he had hit the ground. (so so please that Blue was OK)

Few days later I attended my first fracture clinic appointment to which the doctor said that - like with a lot of clavicle breaks they just leave it in a sling and the bone should realign and mend itself, I thought great few weeks and I'll be back riding!

However, yesterday, 4 weeks later, I had my second fracture clinic appointment and had another x-ray which showed basically no improvement and my bone had barely moved to rejoin itself and therefore he has suggested that the only real option is an operation with a metal plate put in to realign my collarbone, fixed with 3 screws either side.

The operation is only 1 hour long and I just have to stay one night, but I'm feeling rather ominous about it - I know that in recent history they would metal plate the majority of collarbone breaks without a second thought, however they are more reluctant to do so in present times, so it is not uncommon, but I was wondering if anyone else has had an experiences with the metal plate put in?

I am a little anxious :(

Sorry that it is such a long post and congratulations for making it to the end! I'm having to type this all with my left hand, so I wont say how long it has taken me!

I broke my clavicle and shoulder blade in the 80's it was left and did not heal properly, now everything on the left side is sloping and all bra straps and t shits slide off and weaker.

Sorry for the gloom but it is the other side of the coin - hope you heal well

horserugsnot4u

Visit site
I had an operation on a 'shattered' collarbone (so the consultant said). Took quite a while to piece back together and had plate and screws in, which you could see the outline of under the skin. I was in two nights as it actually hurt more on the second day. I was advised not to ride whilst the plate was in as a further accident could cause much more serious damage - because of the collarbone being 'reinforced' and held in place. Ten months later I had the plate out, done in a day with no overnight stay. I had Physio but I can't remember if it was after the op to fit the plate or after it was removed. Everything works fine now, collarbone is a bit lumpy and I have lost a little bit of feeling near the top of my arm (probably to do with bone fragments damaging a nerve as it was over a week after the accident before it was plated). Very occasional mild discomfort but nothing more than that. Good luck with your op.

Hoofprints101

Visit site
Cor! 9 months what a time to wait!

Yes, apparently the operate sitting up, and a couple of people have mentioned neck issues because of this, I'm glad that she not had a problem since :)

I will definitely bare in mind the arnica! - thank you

Llee94

Visit site
I broke mine about 2 years ago in a rotational fall. They wouldn't plate it even though I begged them to. I snapped it in the July and by March the next year it still hadn't completely healed! I had a scan (CT I think) and it also showed a broken shoulder blade and shoulder that they hadn't picked up in the 8 months since the fall which also hadn't healed. They kept telling me I had frozen shoulder but it felt like someone was sticking a knife in my shoulder so I knew there was something wrong but they wouldn't listen.
I have been having problems with it ever since. I can't lie on my left side in bed as it is so painful, my body protector pushes down on the lump and is very uncomfortable when competing, it now hunches forwards slightly and I have to make a real effort to push it back when riding so that I don't look like I am leaning forward.
If I were you, I would be pushing for having it plated. Don't take no for an answer like I did. Biggest mistake I ever made!
Also get some physio - hospital should refer you to one. Mine was great and gave me some really good exercises to help improve strength and posture. Unfortunately it didn't work as well as it could off because of all the missed fractures.

Hoofprints101

Visit site
Not at all, its good to hear all aspects.

I'm sorry yours wants as successful - does this affect your riding?

Perhaps having the op really is the best option?

Hoofprints101

Visit site
'thankfully' mines a rather clean despite on the larger size break so I'm hoping that it will be a pretty speedy to fix.

Yes, I've been told that an further accident with the plate in can be rather nasty - did this mean that you where unable to ride for the 10 months?

Also glad to hear that you're working and functional again now. Thank you for replying :)

flaxen

Visit site
I had the exact same type of fall in october with my pony but he was seriously injured in the fall ( unknown to anybody til ct scan in december ) and i lost him in february due to his injury. I also damaged my collar bone as I was catapulted over his head and landed shoulder first. 6 mths down the line mine still hasnt mended, ive dislocated mine off my sternum and because its not in line its not mending but ive also damaged my supporting ligaments and joint capsule at my humerus, so my ball and socket joint isnt supported and is twisting in the joint. Having been on major pain killers ( drs suspect they have given me ulcers ) its still very painful and physio makes it worse and ive lost strength in it. I have a lovely big lump at top of my sternum where my collarbone sticks out due to it being detached and when I do move I can feel it grating and have a dent at my shoulder end that I can put my fingers in. Im struggling to get them to listen to me and screwing it back into alignment isnt very successful!

Hoofprints101

Visit site
Gosh Llee94! collarbone and shoulder blade, similar to HGA-12's accident?

Sounds like an awful and painful annoyance that you've got to deal with now :( - yes I was worried about competing when I'd have to wear a body protector, as right now even having a bra on my right shoulder is painful.

With all the informative responses on this post I definitely have a more optimistic view about having the plate and op - I knew it is really the best option, but its just the thought of it that's been off putting.

Yes, I do think that some physio after would be a good call. - such a shame that they missed the second fracture!

Hoofprints101

Visit site
I'm so sorry flaxen for the loss of your pony, that is truly terrible! - perhaps maybe I should ask for further investigations into looking at my boy? Currently he has had 2 weeks in the field, and then my instructor sat on him and said that she thought he was rather tight over his shoulders, so I am going to have his back and that checked soon regardless.

Your injury and lack of recovery sounds extremely painful and I'm very sorry to hear that :( - would perhaps going to another or private doctor help? For further opinions? It seems that you're in absolute agony.

Llee94

Visit site
It was pretty bad. Heard it all snap as I hit the floor but like you, I didn't realise I had broken anything until after I had checked that my horse was okay. I obviously provided a lovely soft cushion for her to land on! Mum tried to get me to walk the half mile back to the trailer but I didn't make it and it was so embarrassing when the ambulance came as there was a PC camp going on while I was schooling and they saw it all happen!
My hat also had a dent inside in it from where my head hit the floor but it looked fine from the outside. I had a lovely huge forehead bruise for about two weeks! I don't remember hitting my head as all the focus was on my collar bone. It was only once I saw the bruise that I thought to check my hat and saw the damage. I would recommend replacing your hat if you haven't already as it may look fine but have underlying damage.
Day to day it isn't too bad and feels relatively normal until something rests on it like my handbag. It aches a bit after exercise and riding but I have learnt to cope with it. Body protector wise, I have just learnt to ignore the pain when wearing one. I also use KT tape to strap it up and I find that really helps to support it when riding. Again, that is something the physio can show you how to do.

Hoofprints101

Visit site
Llee94, us crazy horse people - so unselfish aren't we when it comes to them, haha!

And ouch, thankfully I've only had pretty mild muscle damage in my right knee and a beautiful bruise on my shin. - at least you where able to provide further entertainment of the PC goers? eek!

In regards to hats, yes I've been on the hunt for another since the accident, looking on other posts for ideas! - further to add to my story I actually left my hat in the ambulance by accident and the paramedic returned it to my house at 10pm that evening - very nice man. Although its defiantly earned its keep so it can be retired. I am also probably going to get my saddle checked out, fingers crossed that my lovely Harry Dabbs made to measure jumping saddle is ok too!!! - my instructor and friend have been using my flat work just to do some light work on him - but I am going to get it all checked.

Yes, lots of people said its more of an achy annoyance over time, think it'll just be one of those things - I will defiantly look into the KT type. thank you!

willowblack

Visit site
Ouch! Reading these posts this time of the morning made me feel queasy!! I may just look over the fence at mine today 😉 two years ago on April 20th I had exactly the same fall cantering, I tore all of the ligaments I'm my shoulder so my shoulder dropped and collarbone stuck up. A lot!! They offered surgery that weekend but said I might manage without so being high on pain killers and wanting to get back in the saddle I went home in a sling. A week later I was back begging for surgery when I realised it wasn't going to improve. It took 8 months on a waiting list. I had weaver Dunn surgery and was back riding in 8 weeks (I rode between fall and op too) it took 12 months until my shoulder was completely unfrozen due to the time I spent waiting. And other than a great big scar on my shoulder and still not being able to lie on that side it's great. Recommend surgery x x

willowblack

Visit site
I also need to add that if only the surgeon could of sorted my confidence issues cantering too it would have been a complete success 😀 that took much longer to heal!! Maybe I should take up knitting 😋

Hoofprints101

Visit site
Willowblack, yes, reading other peoples experiences I am defiantly feeling more confident about going in for surgery - probably as soon as next week, I'm just waiting for one more phone call and then I shall be in!

I think that 8 weeks to be fully back riding is the common trend in recovery, so hopefully mine shall be no different - as already had to put off a ODE and some show jumping - I don't want to miss any more as I've already got withdrawal symptoms from not riding; I can't deal with going cold turkey!

ahh, your second post did make me giggle - but nothing a kind horse and good instructor can't fix! xx

Hoofprints101

Visit site
*just to update*

Just had a phone call from the doctors and they want me to come in tomorrow morning (on a Sunday?!) - thank you for everyone whose responded, you've instilled more hope in to me :) xx

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
Must be bad luck in our username... i posted about 2 weeks ago, actually it was two weeks ago today that I had a crashing fall whilst jumping and my horse landed on top of me! resulting in 4 breaks in the foot. Sorry to hear you are not mending well, I have broken my collarbone before but it was just a case of sling and wait for it to mend. I hope it works out well for you and you are coping with no riding! I know it's driving me insane. Leg going down a hole is my worst nightmare, so glad your horse is ok and you got away without too much damage, sounds like it was terrifying.
Keep us updated on how you get on ! I have my first fracture clinic on Tuesday.

ETA- on the subject of crazy horse people, the paramedics were putting me on the spinal board and I was leaning over saying "trot Finn up!" and trying to check he was sound! luckily he was just stiff for a week, vet says he's fine now.

muddy_grey

www.*******.com
Last year 2 friends and my brother broke their collarbones within about 3 weeks of each other.
Friend 1 - no plate then ended up with major complications and was a nightmare. Still not sorted 7 months later would have been much better if pinned at the time.
Friend 2 - They didn't want to plate (due to other health issues) but he insisted. Was a clean brake, he was back in the saddle with a month and the plate will stay in and he has no trouble with it now.
Brother - Did a proper job and it was in 6 pieces! he had to wait a few days for the op as they had to get a specialist, he spent 2 nights in hospital. He was very sore after the op but oral morphine did the job. He is a GP and had 3 weeks off work in total. Because they had to use a hook plate, he could not lift his arm above shoulder height and had to have the plate removed. Also no sport/risk of bashing it while it was in place. It took 6 months before it was healed enough to remove. Removal op was day surgery and he only had 3 days off work. As there are so many holes in the bone he is not aloud to play football for 12 weeks post op (he is not a rider) so it will be a 9 months in total, but this was a major break.

You sound like friend 2 so hopefully you will have a similar experience. Glad Blue is fine and hope you feel better soon