Falling Off?

Visit site
I've recently started loaning a tricky horse, the first two months went by with a little difficulty however I've fallen off three out of the past five times I've ridden. It's really beginning to knock my confidence and I'm getting rather frustrated!!

Just so you know, i have had experience riding and loaning horses but I still class my self as a novice. The horse is difficult but I know I can do it and my instructor (whom I have a lesson from once every few weeks) seems to be happy with my progress.

I don't know why i keep making these mistakes and it's beginning to knock my confidence and frustrate me.

mytwofriends

Visit site
I agree with the above, three out of five times is a lot. My confidence would be knocked in that case too. You mention you consider yourself a novice. Is a tricky horse the best way forward?

BSL

Visit site
sometimes it takes a while to learn how to sit a tricky horse , only you know whether you want to "take the time". Make sure you have good equipment, saddle, hat, back protector, safe stirrups, and strengthen those leg and core muscles, You can do it, its up to you whether you want to persevere. No one, worth their salt, will judge you, if its not for you;.

ozpoz

Visit site
What made you fall off? Is he comfortable in his tack? Did you fall off for the same reason each time? In what way is he difficult?

I find it always helps to know the reason why - then you can progress knowing what you have to work with.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
It would be worth you having some lessons on a mechanical horse to establish an independent seat, so that you have a better chance of staying on, no matter what the horse does. But tbh, if he is badly behaved and *throwing* you off, as opposed to you falling off in response to something he did, I recommend putting an end to the loan. Why should you risk injury for a horse that isn't yours?

neddy man

Visit site
again, how and why do you fall,and how many hours a week do you ride,is this alone or with others, and how long a gap between lessons ,is a few weeks every 3rd or 10th ? your answers will help us to give you good advice,dont worry we wont eat you .

bluewhippet

Visit site
When i got my first horse 4 year's ago, I rode every week, and fell of at least 12 times in the first six months! I was a reasonably experienced rider and new to horse owning, and I think my muscles needed to develop and I had to rediscover my balance. Plus, he was a very spooky, prancy arab, highly skilled at dropping a shoulder or doing a stop from flat gallop because of some weird twig he didn't like.

Since then, I have never fallen off: my balance and tone is much better and I can anticipate him and his antics!

Might be the same for you in a shorter time scale!