False sole

guisbrogal

community.webshots.com
Sorry to be a numpty again but vet has told me that because he has dug so much of Ellie's foot away that she may develop a 'false sole'.

Can anyone tell me exactly what this is and will it cause any problems?
confused.gif

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Absolutely no idea, but I once scared myself to death (when I was very young) by finding a hole in neddies sole although underneath there was no infection, just more sole (following a gap). PF had a huge hole carved out of her foot when a foot infection got into her pedal bone but vets didn't say anything about a 'false sole'. Will follow this thread with great interest
smile.gif

brightmount

Visit site
I have a barefoot horse and false sole is a term that figures a lot. It's the crumbly outer layer of sole that covers the "live" sole, and when a horse goes barefoot it needs to exfoliate, which is why you shouldn't apply products like Keratex to the sole of a newly barefoot horse. Sometimes it comes off in a large lump, exposing a lovely concave sole underneath. More often it exfoliates gradually, aided by slightly abrasive hoof pads and conditioning in the sand school. Shod horses retain their false sole as there is no contact with the ground to abrade it.

This is a bit off topic, but I would interpret your vet's comment as meaning false sole will form like a scab or scar before the live sole grows back.

Patches

Visit site
Thanks for that Lynwood.

So is false sole the white soft bits that crumble away sometimes as you pick the feet out?

Patches

Visit site
Thought as much, perfectly normal then and happens to all horses. (well happens to all of mine although I will admit, more so to Patches than the others).

kirstiegrogan

Visit site
No idea but my mare had just got her sole off her back foot taken off because of an abcess shes getting shoes on
but no sorry havnt got a clue