Family argument over names.

Fools Motto

Visit site
Went to see the pup today. She is divine, and will be coming home within the next 10 days or so. YAY. (She is a bedlington/whippet, x bedlington/whippet/collie/saluki!)
She has got a slightly rough coated, charcoal black/grey in colour.
Thought we had some firm favourite names;
Thistle
Twig
Fen
Whisp

Plus we had some others on 'the list', like Swift, Willow, River, and Raisin.
But, OH is complaining. I'm not sure if any of the names will grow on him, or shouild I ignore him, and just name her anyway. He wants to be able to shout it out without feeling awkward!
Can I please have some more ideas! Our current spaniel is Rosie.
Thanks in advance.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Twiglet/Twig for short.

I made a terrible mistake 9 years ago, allowing a dog to be named by family vote, and I've lived with the consequences (as has the dog) ever since, so whatever you choose, make it something that you like!

Fools Motto

Visit site
OH hasn't really 'liked' anything I've suggested. (nor the kids vote) but has said Kali isn't bad, and didn't say anything to the suggestion of Pip or Folly.
This is what it was like when ''we'' named our children!! When he didn't say anything, I went with it. I named our old whippet x - I don't think he had a say!! lol
I think I'll end up just going with it again.... after all, it's not like he trains the dog, he might occassionally walk it/them, but only because he knows to share some chores. I'll have them at work with me, so it's unlikely he'll walk both on his own for a while!

Schollym

Visit site
Went to see the pup today. She is divine, and will be coming home within the next 10 days or so. YAY. (She is a bedlington/whippet, x bedlington/whippet/collie/saluki!)
She has got a slightly rough coated, charcoal black/grey in colour.
Thought we had some firm favourite names;
Thistle
Twig
Fen
Whisp

Plus we had some others on 'the list', like Swift, Willow, River, and Raisin.
But, OH is complaining. I'm not sure if any of the names will grow on him, or shouild I ignore him, and just name her anyway. He wants to be able to shout it out without feeling awkward!
Can I please have some more ideas! Our current spaniel is Rosie.
Thanks in advance.
Sounds like a Shadow!

Fools Motto

Visit site
Shadow is indeed lovely, but we've had a Shadow before, she was a brilliant dog who we still talk about now.
OH has just said his favourite name is Quiver. I did have that on a list if we were getting a pure whippet, but this little pickle is far from pure!!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I like Quill. Short and different.

I wondered if it had a different meaning as a name other than a feather for writing, although she does look like a little feather, I looked it up...

"
What does the name Quill mean?
Quill or Quille is an anglicised version of the Irish surname " Ó Cuill" Coll, Coill, and O'Coill (Ó Coill), all of which mean wood, forest or shrub Hazel Tree. The Coill clan are believed to be a bardic family from Munster, particularly Kerry and Cork. The Irish surname has also been Anglicised as Woods.
"

Karran

Visit site
I understand his thoughts! There's a reason I call her Mrs Spaniel instead of her real name on here but unfortunately she knew her name when she arrives and now I'm stuck with it!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Fen. Easy, simple, good strong one syllable for recall training. We've stuck with the one syllable rule for recall purposes: Jake, Brig, Zak, Bear. Zak is especially useful, short and sharp for the naughty one.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Twiglet/Twig for short.

I made a terrible mistake 9 years ago, allowing a dog to be named by family vote, and I've lived with the consequences (as has the dog) ever since, so whatever you choose, make it something that you like!

Me too! I wish I had called her my own favourite name - or at least one that suits her. Daisy is a lovely name but she is a big, hairy, scruffy, bearded, black dog. She is not a Daisy!

Merrymoles

Visit site
Our dog was called Blue when we got her and she is so NOT a Blue.

Could've been worse though - I used to meet a nice Scotsman who walked his daughter's little scrap of a dog when she was at work and it was called Tinkerbelle! He soon trained her to come to "Tink"

I'm glad Twig seems to be winning!