family dog

ew1801

Visit site
im considering adding a new eddition to my family but im really stuck as to what breed to go for. I currently have a german shepherd (i love this breed) but im edging towards a smaller dog as i also have two young kids an even though my shep is brill with them she can be rather clumsy around them which has resulted in a few banged heads and grazes knees.
so can anyone recommend me a breed that will suit as a nice family dog

Ella19

Visit site
Although I'm not a huge fan staffies make great family dogs. Round us in Surrey I'm seeing at work a lot of families with cocker spaniels x poodles or cavalier spaniels x poodles. Mini schnauzers are popular at present but quite prone to yapping!

ew1801

Visit site
Although I'm not a huge fan staffies make great family dogs. Round us in Surrey I'm seeing at work a lot of families with cocker spaniels x poodles or cavalier spaniels x poodles. Mini schnauzers are popular at present but quite prone to yapping!

its funny you should say staffies because a friend of my partner has took his well breed blue staffie of to stud yesterday. he has offered me one at a reduced cost with the breeder and my partner being good friends, but im well aware with the staffie problems in kennels and even though his bitch is well breed, health tested etc im abit stand offish about buying a pup whih is fueling the problem with staffies being over bred

s4sugar

Visit site
"well breed blue staffie" is an oxymoron.
The reason these were less common a few years ago is because the colour was frowned upon. It is very easy to breed blues and a very small percentage are show quality.
For some reason they are popular with the Gumtree crowd.

ew1801

Visit site
"well breed blue staffie" is an oxymoron.
The reason these were less common a few years ago is because the colour was frowned upon. It is very easy to breed blues and a very small percentage are show quality.
For some reason they are popular with the Gumtree crowd.

yes i agree, this partiular staffie has been shown successfully but im stil wary about fueling the breeding of staffies when so many are destroyed everyday

willhegofirst

Visit site
Maybe an exception, but the best faimily dog we have had was a collie from working stock, she was totally devoted to our two boys, would protect them, play football with them and generally be there for them, yes she needed exercise and would protect any child she met. She lived to be 15 and a 1/2 and owed us nothing.

ew1801

Visit site
i have breifly looked into rescue but my problem is alot of the rescues dont rehome to a house with young children (mine or 1 and 3). Also alot of the rescues dont have history about the dogs so im a little cautious about bringing a strange adult dog around my kids.

s4sugar

Visit site
Try the breed rescues and breed clubs.
The smaller groups will take each case on it's own merits but I would not place a dog of unknown history with young children and TBH would suggest you look for an older dog from a home break up.

SeasonalSituation

Visit site
Personally dont think you can go wrong with a whippet. My little one will do anything for anyone and doesn't hurt a fly. Shes better with kids then adults and is happy to spend the day chilling on the sofa.

Daytona

Visit site
Another vote for Staffie , one of the best dogs with kids also so ate Boxers but might be a little big.

rockysmum

Visit site
i have breifly looked into rescue but my problem is alot of the rescues dont rehome to a house with young children (mine or 1 and 3). Also alot of the rescues dont have history about the dogs so im a little cautious about bringing a strange adult dog around my kids.

The rescues have puppies as well :D

Another vote for whippets and spaniels

Elle123

www.ellaporterphotography.co.uk
A spaniel, golden retriever or lab. Though saying that, although our goldie isnt very big as far as the standard goes, he's a bit on the clumsy side with us, but extremely gentle and careful with my 1 1/2yr old nephew. If I had a big enough house in the future I would pronably get another golden. However, I currently have a cocker spaniel (show strain blue roan) & I think I'm hooked. Maybe it's the spangle wiggle! Almost hypnotising!!! :D best of luck in your search. Whatever breed you go for, please go for a puppy with health tested parents and a breeder who wants to better the breed, learned the last bit the hard way. Xx

Jake10

Visit site
We got a collie x puppy when I was 4 and my sister was 2, lovely dog bit of a food thief though. The we got a rescue heinz 57 10 month old puppy when I was 6, very good with kids. She came from a small local rescue.

My current dog is a border collie x springer spaniel and so far has coped well with my cousin (just learned to crawl) when she visits.

I'm a sucker for most collie crosses (though it depends on what the cross is with) so I'm going to recommend them :p A terrier or a corgi might fit what you're after as well.

PolarSkye

Visit site
We got a collie x puppy when I was 4 and my sister was 2, lovely dog bit of a food thief though. The we got a rescue heinz 57 10 month old puppy when I was 6, very good with kids. She came from a small local rescue.

My current dog is a border collie x springer spaniel and so far has coped well with my cousin (just learned to crawl) when she visits.

I'm a sucker for most collie crosses (though it depends on what the cross is with) so I'm going to recommend them :p A terrier or a corgi might fit what you're after as well.

I'm with Jake10 on this border crosses . . . we currently have two and Daisy in particular is soft as butter with young'uns. However, as much as I love terriers, I'm not sure they are a good mix with little people . . . they can be snappy and may see fast-moving small people as a challenge/to be dominated. I could be wrong though.

P

Cop-Pop

Visit site
I always think labs and goldies make excellent family dogs. I grew up with a lab who taught me to stand and walk and tolerated everything. My goldie wasn't as good with kids but she never snapped, she would just remove herself from the situation. Yellow Dog is awesome - his first experience with a child was when a small baby hauled herself up by his chops and screamed with laughter in his face :eek: but he just washed her a bit and was fine. Sandy (goldie) is also fab with kids but as shes a bit wobbly we have to make sure they arent too rough with her. Shes quite happy to share her bed with small children tho! :D

zoelouisem

Visit site
I have to terriers people say they can be snappy ect but as with any dog it's the upbringing mine are anything but snappy they adore me daughter sleep in the bed with her, get wrapped in blankets in a dolly push chair and love it. But they do need quite a lot of exercise mine have free rein on a yard and that suits them to bits.

hogged cob

Visit site
We went through this when we lost our old lab, we got a Border Terrier and he is brilliant with our six year old daughter, she can hold his lead without
the danger of being pulled over and he just loves kids. He is small enough to take anywhere and is just a pleasure to own, he is fab. We got him when we he was 4 months old.

lizness

Visit site
I should think that you would be able to get a staffie or whippet puppy from a rescue, probably at a very reasonable price (often includes vaccinations, neutering and microchipping#) or a different puppy provided the rescues will rehome one to someone with small children. I got my lovely Winston as a 10 week old puppy from a rescue (Cayla on here)