Family friendly large dog suggestions please?

travellingpony

Visit site
I am living in the middle of nowhere in a wood in a big old house. Just me the kids and three small dogs. I posted before at the loss of my terrier but I also lost my old rotti last winter. On the long light days its not really an issue but in winter it can get really spooky down here.

I have young kids and I am not wanting anything that’s agressive perse but I am sure I will miss the big lump when the nights close in. Company on dark mornings feeding the horses etc.

This is very much the intial thought process. What breeds might fit the bill? I work from home and we have acres to run in and go to the beach each day so exercise isn’t really an issue. Trying to avoid something as highly strung as the nightmare pug though and ideally not heavy shedding like my shepherd was.

I think the rotti would have only woken up if the burglars trod on it but the big presence was nice as an only adult. Rescues don’t tend to like us because of the kids but thought I might see if anyone has any suggestions.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Another Rott? You could start one from puppyhood if you wfh. We got our two as a burglar deterrent and I'm sure they are but they are two of the softest dogs you could wish to meet. They absolutely love meeting small children when they are out and about but they might be more boisterous than you would like with young children, although I do know of one family where the Rott does as the toddler tells him but then, he also obeys the parrot!

Failing that, a Lab or Retriever are very family friendly, I grew up with Labs.

Last edited:

meleeka

Visit site
I don’t think you can beat a Rottie, for temperament or as a security measure. Of course most of them wouldn’t dream of hurting anyone but they do sound the part when they bark.

travellingpony

Visit site
My rotties have all been fab but never from a puppy always a rescue how bad are they? I have heard horror stories about them being totally hyper and destructive? Mine all came at two plus so were pretty chilled already.

Clodagh

Visit site
Boring but reliable - you can't beat a labrador. Ours do not let even friends in the house if we are not here. A good woof but soft as butter.

Shady

Visit site
Weimaraner. Amazing with children, affectionate, loyal , very funny, will hear anything at night and react but will let your friends in during the day so you don't have to worry about the postman getting bitten . I also live in the absolute middle of knowhere and when my OH used to be away more i never felt unsafe here. I'm on my second now and he is exactly the same as my first one , super lovely but with good guarding skills.

travellingpony

Visit site
Weimaraner. Amazing with children, affectionate, loyal , very funny, will hear anything at night and react but will let your friends in during the day so you don't have to worry about the postman getting bitten . I also live in the absolute middle of knowhere and when my OH used to be away more i never felt unsafe here. I'm on my second now and he is exactly the same as my first one , super lovely but with good guarding skills.

Thats just what we want no one massacred! I worked for a lady with two that forever ran off so didn't think of them!

MissTyc

Visit site
Our old Golden Retriever wouldn't allow strangers near us as kids. He played a good game. He was a big boy, solid boned and 40kg. Made everyone in the house feel safe. Miss the old lump. My baby sister used to hang off his coat before she learned to walk and he'd drag her around the house <3

travellingpony

Visit site
Its so hard if you get a puppy as you just don't know my lab was always useless he would have sat with the stranger wagging its tough to know whats best.

I guess its something hopefully that's not going to be wild in the house (I walk for about 1hr morning on the beach then three other little walks 15 mins each) they then can run outside a bit too. The garden isn't enclosed so they do keep getting walked. Also something that doesn't shed tonnes of hairs would be nice. Lots of reading to do for me.

travellingpony

Visit site
My lab did it used to be like a spaghetti western all across the wood floors. I have two others that shed really bad already. I hadn't considered a staffy at all.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Golden Retriever-mine has a huge bark but only uses it when necessary and you can't get a better companion. He's also imposing enough to make people think. Mine isnt show bred and doesnt seem to shed much in comparison to the labs/setters and the double coated smooth that I have. I find short haired dogs worse for shedding as it just gets embedded in everything, longer hair balls up and can just be put in the bin :D

Auslander

Visit site
Don't get a setter! Useless guard dogs, and they hog all the comfortable stuff!

Yes - he is indeed cooling his nether regions...he warms up the same way in the winter in front of the fire!

32105377_10157008925260730_4283238118271746048_n.jpg

travellingpony

Visit site
Golden Retriever-mine has a huge bark but only uses it when necessary and you can't get a better companion. He's also imposing enough to make people think. Mine isnt show bred and doesnt seem to shed much in comparison to the labs/setters and the double coated smooth that I have. I find short haired dogs worse for shedding as it just gets embedded in everything, longer hair balls up and can just be put in the bin :D

Thats true I maybe thinking about this all wrong !! The other three have short coats and its everywhere

travellingpony

Visit site
I haven't brought a puppy in 15 years always had a rescue just having a shock seeing how much they are! Rescues don't like us because the land isn't enclosed and I have kids

HeyMich

Visit site
If you're wanting a big dog (with a big bark) and to not worry about shedding hair, why not look at a standard poodle/poodle cross? I've not had one, so not sure what they involve, maintenance-wise. If not, I'd just go with a lab or lab cross.

travellingpony

Visit site
If you're wanting a big dog (with a big bark) and to not worry about shedding hair, why not look at a standard poodle/poodle cross? I've not had one, so not sure what they involve, maintenance-wise. If not, I'd just go with a lab or lab cross.

I'm guessing a fortune in grooming. A lab might not be a bad idea I just ruled them out for being too soft. Mine have been pathetic.

Chuckieee

Visit site
I think that a Rotti would be just what you need. You already have experience of them, they are great family dogs and good guards too.

This is very against the grain but i would not be looking to get a rescue if you have very younger children. In my mind, it just isn't worth the risk if you are aiming to get something large with guard instincts. You could always rescue one when the kids are older.

As for Staffs, some are great, amazing, family/kid friendly and worth their weight in gold. However in my personal experience, some just are not. So unless you are looking to get a bull breed from a puppy, I would think that getting a rescue bull breed just might be too risky - unless your children are old enough to look after themselves if something goes wrong.

TGM

Visit site
I'd be rather cautious about Weimaraners, there are some lovely ones, but have known a lot that are rather unpredictable and certainly wouldn't have one with children, personally.

Shady

Visit site
Thats just what we want no one massacred! I worked for a lady with two that forever ran off so didn't think of them!

Lol !!! 2????? yes, i can imagine them doing a runner together, you'd have to be a good trainer to keep 2 near the house but if your other dogs don't roam the Weim will stay near, they are a bit mad mind when young so need some good ground rules. I'm not sure i would want to rescue an adult though unless you were 100% certain of it's history, people misunderstand this breed a lot so rescues very often have some serious baggage .
I like the Boxer suggestion. My SIL has had 5, all lovely, if a tad drooly!

Aru

Visit site
You could look into rarer breeds- wire-haired vizsla/giant schnauzer if your looking low shed but relatively intimidating.
Soft coated wheaten are an option if you can stand the terrier attitude in a medium build.
Standard poodle in a non ridiculous cut also an option. They can be barkers when they mature but not the most intimidating of guard dogs. Standards are the steadiest of the poodles imo,nice dogs much nicer then a lot of the crosses get put with and the poodles don't shed.

Rottie's are pretty high shed but that are a solid reliable guard dog.You've had one before so you know what your getting into which helps!They do however have a shocking low life expectancy as a breed which is a bit tragic.

If it wasn't for she shedding issue I would 100 percent recommend a black lab however as my main pick for a family dog with some easy guarding ability. Good bark,intimidating when they want to be...but generally very soft with kids. Had some great ones growing up and no one got out of the car if they didn't know our dogs.