Family pony

:0)

Visit site
Hi everyone just a it of advice really. I bought myself a lovely 14.2 heavy cob two years ago. And since getting her my girls love her. She's turned into a lovely family pony. My youngest who's only 8 even went in a lead rein class on her this year. My little girl loved it she smiled the whole way through. But we got comments and looks because she was on a pony too big for her. I was leading her the whole time.
I cant afford to buy another pony at the minute but feel pressured that I should. My girls have a riding lesson at a riding stable every couple of week. And I always have them on lead rein or I am walking at the side of them.
We want to go to more shows as we loved it. But dreading the stares ! X

conniegirl

Visit site
Be aware that a lot of shows including local shows have a height limit of either 12hh or 12.2hhh for leadrein classes

SO1

Visit site
Your are in the wrong class you need to enter the family pony class at shows not the lead rein class. The lead rein class is a very specific class for show pony types of a certain size and look.

Family pony class would be better as you could both ride as part of that class and not judged on size conformation etc.

conniegirl

Visit site
The lead rein class is a very specific class for show pony types of a certain size and look.
Not necessarily, at a lot of local shows they are for anything on the lead rein.

even at higher level shows unless it states leadrein show pony then it is likely open to shp and m&m lr, though those now have thier own classes at most bigger shows

SO1

Visit site
Sorry not clear I meant all those versions of LR show ponies rather than just the riding pony type.

14.2 cob would not be considered a LR pony under any of the versions if that makes sense.

Not necessarily, at a lot of local shows they are for anything on the lead rein.

even at higher level shows unless it states leadrein show pony then it is likely open to shp and m&m lr, though those now have thier own classes at most bigger shows

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Sorry not clear I meant all those versions of LR show ponies rather than just the riding pony type.

14.2 cob would not be considered a LR pony under any of the versions if that makes sense.

Yes but at a local show it really doesn't matter unless there is a height restriction, most local shows are for people starting out and looking to have a bit of fun.

Fred66

Visit site
I am a huge advocate for Pony Club especially for younger ones starting out. Most children like the social aspect and certainly our pony club accommodates children sharing a pony.
I know some have had bad experiences but have a look at ones local to you and see what they offer , ours has something on most weekends whether it’s Games Rally, Pony Care / Badges, Working Rally (flat, poles, SJ), Fun/All day rallies through the summer targeted at under 12, clinics for those who are more competitive.
We aim to be inclusive

honetpot

Visit site
When my daughter was eight she was riding a 14.2. The trick is to read the show schedule and rules. Smaller shows, like I used to be involved in, know that families just have one pony that everyone rides, and try and split classes in to on and off lead rein. Have fun classes where age and height are not a problem, and neither is having all the gear. These shows are just for fun, and if you get the right one other competitors are supportive.
Some shows run to affiliated rules, where the age and height of the child are important. At the start of the season I would get all the schedules, and try and find the ones where everyone got a go. Gymkhana gets you fit, sometimes we had three children sharing one pony, best turn out, just for practice, and perhaps and inhand class.
I do think shows are missing a trick, when you have got someone there you want them to spend money, it's just the same effort if you have five or twelve entries in a class. I haven't competed for a while, it's not worth the trip for one class.