Famous stallions' quirks

itroteverywhere

Visit site
Just out of interest/ for amusement purposes really :cool:
So... do you know any famous stallions who have quirks or certain characteristics that they pass onto their offspring?

I know a couple of horses by Donnerhall and they are all very ticklish!
Dimaggio offspring are lovely across the board in my experience.
Can think of a couple non-famous examples but will see if I can think of any others...

Last edited:

tonitot

Visit site
Most horses by One Cool Cat are scatty and a bit bad tempered, I've known and ridden a few, they're all the same! Horses by Kheyleyf are normally very cheeky and bitey but I like them :) despite one kicking me in the head lol :p Horses by Alke are normally lovely :)

kerilli

Visit site
Just out of interest/ for amusement purposes really :cool:
So... do you know any famous stallions who have quirks or certain characteristics that they pass onto their offspring?

I know a couple of horses by Donnerhall and they are all very ticklish!
Dimaggio offspring are lovely across the board in my experience.
Can think of a couple non-famous examples but will see if I can think of any others...

Just to prove that there's always an exception, my homebred DiMaggio filly (out of a truly exceptional mare) was a totally work-shy, physically useless, complete piece of rubbish. She was pretty, and nicely put together, but that's all I could say about her. Honestly the only horse I have ever totally given up with, I couldn't even ask her to trot a circle or walk up the road. Not even any good as a field ornament. Broke my heart, that one, talk about a disappointment!

I have an Alderbrook mare who is wonderfully kind, probably the sweetest horse I've ever known. A friend knew Alderbrook and said he wouldn't ever hurt anyone, to the point where if he really didn't want to do something he would lie down rather than fight! (I'd always thought that was extreme obstinacy but I guess it's also the ultimately passive way of getting out of doing something without hurting himself or anyone else!)

I have a Fleetwater Opposition homebred who is quite challenging, and, like a lot of his apparently, really likes 'waving to the crowds'.

We'll see about the Jumbo homebred, so far she has a divine temperament, nothing fazes her at all. Hope she stays that way!

TheMule

Visit site
Abergwiffy- who has been the bravest, boldest and maddest creature I've ever come across- apparently pretty common for them!

Cruising- lazy sod except when he's being sharp as nails!

Fleetwater Opposition beasties who are all the same- exceptionally faithful when they trust you but total nightmares when they dont and very quick to hold a grudge. Tact is your only hope.

4faults

Visit site
Haha I have to agree with the Ramiro Z as I am currently on my third mare of his lines.

My Broadstone Landmark boy is kind with an amazing personality, very cheeky and loveable.

Does anyone have experience with Concorde babies?

Romax

Visit site
Horses by Donnerschlag have (or the 4 I ride regularly :p) amazing work ethics and are quick learners, tending to be calm under saddle. No matter what mare we've used he has a very strong stamp.

TarrSteps

Visit site
But then I had a first generation Ramiro who was a bit of a dope. :) There are so many variables for temperament, it's very hard to generalise about more than tendencies. What has interested me most working for big breeders, is to see how the offspring differ, not just to see how they are similar!

I am most curious about what I would call quirks, like horses sucking their tongues, or having a particular odd like or dislike or reaction. I have met a few by one stallion who are all tricky to get on, as is, apparently, the horse himself. I know another that passes on his poor neck conformation, which makes the horses tricky in the hand and inclined to panic when the rider takes a hold.

Sportznight

Visit site
Most horses by One Cool Cat are scatty and a bit bad tempered, I've known and ridden a few, they're all the same!

He was a complete shite as a yearling! But then a lot of Storm Cat's are!

Montjeu fillies - stress heads, as are King's Best fillies (would take a Montjeu filly over a King's Best any day!)

Gone West mares - delightfully sweet and kind natured!
Pleasant Colony - big boned/framed horses with generous natures.

springtime13

Visit site
My Jumbo baby was the most backward thinking, nappy horse I've ever dealth with. He reversed into cars, ditches, fences and was very unpredictable. My Libro baby is hot but safe and I've heard this from others.

kerilli

Visit site
My Jumbo baby was the most backward thinking, nappy horse I've ever dealth with. He reversed into cars, ditches, fences and was very unpredictable.

I've heard exactly the same from someone else with a very tricky Jumbo, hope my girl won't turn out like that.

I forgot, I have a Stonegrove Ace mare, and have been told that he was the sweetest stallion to handle, and passes that on. Sure enough, she has a lovely temperament. Was also told that he threw solid chestnut males or elegant bay fillies - yes, she's the latter, spot on.

TarrSteps, here's a good one: a friend had a mare and stallion, bred them to other horses, and to each other. Neither parent crib-bit or windsucked, nor did any of their offspring by or out of other horses, but that particular cross always produced mares and colts who did both. Hmmmm.

kerilli

Visit site
Hate to say it, k, but I know another idle Jumbo. Big strong horse, good owner, but he only does the bare minimum.

Ah yes, they're famous for being switched-off, iirc the "ride it like you stole it" came from a top 4* rider who'd been jocked-off a Jumbo horse and was giving genuine helpful advice to the new jockey.
Idle I can cope with, might even appreciate it in my dotage (!), I just don't relish the thought of a nappy hysterical bint running backwards down the road etc! Possibly had my fill of those... ;) ;)

seabsicuit2

Visit site
Would agree on Cruisings being complete lazy sods but talented when you can get it out of them!

Jumbos they say you have to 'ride it like you stole it" however that could never be said for Headley Britannia or her full brother Kingdom who were always keen and willing?

Rock Kings-light,small horses that are quite sharp and quirky, excellent jumpers

A few little traits I've picked up from race stallions over the years;-

Fantastic Lights- talented, but dont try& always seem to hold back at the finish line
Hallings, talented, but dont try & as above
Tamures- big top heavy horses with poor feet, that are thugs and not very talented
Kayf Tara- poor limbs
Oscar/midnight legends/supreme leaders- strong well made horses that try their hearts out, sane and sensible/easy

Last but not least! Beneficials, all have super balanced canters and quick athletic jumps, are very very willing,keen and courageous, tough,& brave but very sharp, sensitive and flighty stressheads! And they a lot of them seem to have exactly the same head/eye - so many of them look identical.

Saddlers wells, and a lot of his sons, consistently throw horses that look like his sire Northern Dancer, bright bay with white blaze and white socks/feet, can be quite top heavy, square , butty horses, but with gorgeous temperments.

Llanali

Visit site
The Randi filly we had= B1tch. Talented, but b1tch. A real 'I don't want to, you can't make me' with a dash of 'Hmmmmm, *bang* oh whoops, did I kick you in the face?'

I have a Ghareeb, mare now, who I ADORE, is the sweetest, unflappable thing alive- apparently that follows from him.....

glamourpuss

Visit site
Ah it's funny you should say that about the Sadlers wells lines, my young lad looks just like you say although he is a very flashy moving, pretty lad which I think comes from his dams side. His temperament is fabulous & very Sadlers Wells.

Most welcome - despite being a decent flat horse his progeny show good talent over a fence although they all seem to be built pretty downhill! They are real tryers but keep a cheeky side!

Llanali

Visit site
In my- admittedly limited- experience, Alflora horses tend to be good too....cheeky, but everything in the right place and a nice brain.

carterk3

Visit site
Had a Dutch Gold mare once who was very pretty, moved beautifully but VERY quirky. Required very tactful riding and absolutely paranoid about having her mouth touched in the first 10mins of being ridden. Any other expereinces with those bloodlines?

seabsicuit2

Visit site
Dutch gold/catherston horses are just notorious for being so quirky yet talented!!

Glamourpuss- the saddlers well's 'look' is so dominant- you seem to see that colouring/type pass down 4/5 generations, each one mirror images of one another.

carterk3

Visit site
yes unfortunately mine had to be PTS when she was 12 due to cushings and went down hill very quickly. I am sure it was brought on by the stress of sending her to stud and she just didn't cope well.