fancy dress class

tinycharlie

Visit site
Hi my daughter would like to do a fancy dress class with her pony on Sunday, shes 13 and I've had someone say she shouldn't do it as shes too old, will get laughed at and it will be embarrassing for her.
Could I have your thoughts on this, is she too old? Shes keen to do it, plus her pony is only 12-1hh and the same person is always saying shes too big/tall to do ridden showing. It's only a local pony club show with several novelty classes that shes going to do.

eggs

Visit site
Of course she should do it. I used to love doing fancy dress classes when I was a young teenager (many, many years ago I'm afraid) as you were guaranteed a rosette!

tinycharlie

Visit site
Thanks guys we've got a newmarket fleece for him so thinking of dressing her up as a jockey lol
She is getting a little big for him, tall really but hes built like a tank lol and it won't be long before she gets something bigger so she should enjoy him while she can.

sasquatch

Visit site
Go for it!

Don't listen to what one person says, you will know yourself when she is too tall for him and if she wants to have fun and dress up for local shows then what's the harm really going to be? worst that will happen is you have a funny costume, go out and have a laugh with everyone else in funny costumes, and come home again :D

ironhorse

Visit site
They are lovely!
If you wanted to do something a bit different she'd make a super squaw on her paint horse! Usual tack but a nice coloured saddle blanket, take his noseband off, feathers here and there, and I'm sure you can make her a nice red indian costume! It's meant to be fun - ignore people who try to interfere!
would much rather see a happy little girl on a pony she knows and loves than an over horsed, worried teenager!

tinycharlie

Visit site
Great idea ironhorse
We've just had the offer to borrow proper racing colours for the show! :) shes got white jods so she'll look the part

Wizzkid

Visit site
A load of adults from my yard went to fancy dress on Sunday with some Shetlands! It was a laugh. Don't listen to other people hope she has fun X

Dave's Mam

Visit site
They are lovely!
If you wanted to do something a bit different she'd make a super squaw on her paint horse! Usual tack but a nice coloured saddle blanket, take his noseband off, feathers here and there, and I'm sure you can make her a nice red indian costume! It's meant to be fun - ignore people who try to interfere!
would much rather see a happy little girl on a pony she knows and loves than an over horsed, worried teenager!

EXACTLY!
They look fab.

tinycharlie

Visit site
Thanks for all your lovely supportive comments
We're thinking of doing best turned out, can anyone offer any advice on what she should wear and pointers for a good result :)

Hes much less hairy now lol :)

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
At our RC show there were two young women in their late teens in the fancy dress class, and they both did rather well, much to the chagrin of the family who had obviously spent a fortune on getting the outfits for their young children :D The difference was that the two young women had put the effort in themselves, were obviously a bit nervous of being too old and "showing themselves up". The little children had obviously had no input themselves into the outfits, most fancy dress judges will (should) ask the riders what input they have had in getting ready, which should give a bit of an edge to the older children :)

Mari

Visit site
Best turned out needs to be immaculate! That doesn't mean everything new. It means ultra clean. Supple gleaming tack. Gleaming pony. Gleaming rider - soles of shoes ( & pony's feet) super clean. Everything absolutely right for the type of pony you have so plaited if plaited type, natural if native type. Also they must look good as a partnership, happy partnership & free moving but not sloppy. Good Luck. I used to bring my young horse & my young son & pony out in Best Turned Out classes as it was fun.

tinycharlie

Visit site
Had a great day today :)
She did her fancy dress and loved it , she didn't win but did get a rosette and 3 others including a first in a novelty class :)
The one that won fancy dress was a teenager on her pony and they were dressed as punk rockers lol
Got very wet in the afternoon but it was a fantastic day and my daughter came away beaming and with more confidence
Charlie was an angel all day bless him x
Also may have found him some loanees who might loan him from his current yard so that we can get a mother/daughter share horse.