FAO TheFarrier - Piccys of shoe

Lippyx

Essex... In my bubble, floating above reality!!
Visit site
Hi,

As promised, piccy of shoes on the mare I ride:

Shoe.jpg

The flat bit is on the out edge of the shoe and only on her hinds!

Thanks xx

Nailed

Visit site
they look like a make shift attempt at trailered heals or as said liberal extension.

you friend wasn't actually that far off when she said they were driving shoes. trailered heels are used in trotting. x

teddyt

Visit site
Lateral extensions are used for more support of the outside of the hoof or to stop the horse from bringing its limb too far under the body. Can help if the horse kicks itself. (but im not a farrier!)

scally

Visit site
One of mine has had those on before, it was to make him take his weight more evenly as he throw his balance on the inside (think it was the inside not outside) of the hoof and the hoof was collapsing there, only on the hinds.

irishdraftlover

Visit site
im not a farrier either but my horse has them to!! apparently they are known as spavin shoes-you can apparently buy them or farrier can make them as he does mine as my horse has bigger feet than the ready made ones. my vet recommended them as my horse moves very close behind and also has some degeneration in a hock joint(not a spavin) and they have helped

Peter026

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
im not a farrier either but my horse has them to!! apparently they are known as spavin shoes-you can apparently buy them or farrier can make them as he does mine as my horse has bigger feet than the ready made ones. my vet recommended them as my horse moves very close behind and also has some degeneration in a hock joint(not a spavin) and they have helped

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct, this is a Lateral extension shoe used in supporting the outside of the limb, Used for bone spavins and other hock issues.
The lateral extension will also help straighten up his movement.

TheFarrier

jamesthefarrier.co.uk
Lateral extention welded on.
Its to improve the horses foot flight, to give it lateral support (if it weak behind or brushes)

Is the horse going better now these have been fitted?