farm shed to stable

Orangehorse

Visit site
If you had a farm outbuilding with an earth floor that you wanted to use as a stable, what sort of flooring would you put in?

If you just put compacted stone down and then topped it with something softer - sand? - but the urine could drain through, would it eventually smell bad? The soil underneath would be clay.

Ideas please.

SuperH

Visit site
I've previously kept a horse on a hardcore floor (it was well compacted and like walking on dry dust rather than stones). It drained quite nicely and didn't smell. I had straw on top.

Is it going to be a permanent arrangement? If so I would concrete it with a slope and drainage channel.

JadeyyBabeyy

Visit site
when we put my stables up in a field we had a nice thick layer of sand and then rubber matts and shavings. never smelt

if I were to do it again tho I would prefer hardcore then sand and matts :)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We have 3 earth floors, and two concrete. We have decided to take up one of the concrete floors before the horses come in for the winter - the other isn't in use atm. The earth floors drain well and don't smell although tbf we are not on clay.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
we were on clay and just had hardcore flattened really well and put a thick shavings bed down. we semi deep littered during the week and mucked out at the weekends and it didn't smell...after about 10 years the middle of my geldings stable (where he wee'd) gradually got a bit lower but it wasn't a problem I just put more shavings to compensate..