Farrier concern

Cassy

Visit site
In the area I live it is hard to find a farrier, especially when you have a heavy horse to shoe. My problem is that the farrier is not very nice to my horses. I don't know what to do! Non of my horse are difficult to shoe and I am concerned about how he treats them when I am not there, as I can't always be around. When I am there he shouts at them for leaning or moving an inch so what happens when I am not there?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Make sure you only make an appointment for when you can be there. And in the meantime look for a new farrier if you really do not like this one.

Eaglestone

Visit site
My Farrier has never been anything but kind to my horse(s) and, in fact, can be heard to talk 'silly' to them
blush.gif

I have only ever used one other Farrier in 17 years, when I moved out of the area for a month ... and he kicked my horse and I never used him again ..

I also would never have my horses shod, without me being present, although I know I could trust my Farrier.

Cassy

Visit site
I have put feelers out for farriers in the area but as I said they are few and far between and usually ask why you want to change and don't like other farriers being "called". They seem to stick together! So if I were to say "my present farrier isn't very nice to my horses" they probably wouldn't consider taking me on.

OWLIE185

Visit site
You should alway be there when the farrier shoes your horse as their insurance only covers them if there is someone handling the horse.

Phone up the farriers registration council and ask them to send you a list of all the farriers in your County. Also ask them if there are any newly qualified ones in your county as they are very much more likely to be accepting new clients.