Farrier Costs

roxy007

Visit site
Hi - wondered what you should expect to pay for two sets of shoes. One set is heart bars. Also if the horses are not out of the field between shoeings and there is no wear or damage to the shoes would your farriers trim and refit or charge for a new set.

Also if farrier can't attend for another few weeks which is almost 14 fourteen weeks since last shoeing is it likely to cause problems for our horses

madeleine1

Visit site
£110 to £130 and yes my farrier would refit unwarn shoes and charge less.

yes well my horses feet would have over grown and the shoes would come of at 9 weeks

dumpling

Visit site
I think the latest figures ive heard are £65 average for a full set. Not sure for heart bars perhaps £80 ish. It depends on your farrier though.

My farrier will happily trim the hoof and reuse the old shoe if it's not too worn.

14 weeks is a long time and I personally wouldn't leave it that long, I'd go 7 weeks at the most and that's with my boy that has exceptional feet. Leaving it so long can have lots of problems for the horse, the 2 major ones that spring to mind are lack of balance as hooves would be too long. The second one is deterioration of hoof quality as shoes are likely to fall off as will be attached to the walls of thr hooves that are too long and could possible break part of the hoof off with it.

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
£70 for a normal set of shoes. around £70 for a pair of heart bars plus £35 for a pair of hinds. 14 weeks between shoeings is NOT normal. mine are done every 6 weeks. some horses may go 8 weeks but as your horse requires heartbars then they should be done minimum of every 8 weeks otherwise you are just wasting your time (and your farriers) going down the remedial route. if you want to go that long between appointments then barefoot could be they way to go. 14 weeks between shoeing will result in probs.

Snowysadude

Visit site
I think 14 weeks for both but the one in heart bars especially will be very detrimental to their feet. Heart bars plus normal hinds are usually £100ish around here (although I got my last set of bars for £90 :D), a normal set is £70 so in this area I would be expecting to pay between £170 and £200. I would however not be happy at all waiting 14 weeks, its highly likely they will loose the shoes anyway and any good work the heart bars are doing would be undone :).

Carlosmum

Visit site
14 weeks is defo to long. when i first had my boy I found myself going this sort of time & almost ruined his feet. Now he struggle with laminitis, because of my mistake. If you farrier is putting you off find another ... 9 weeks is my absolute max & I always txt the farrier a good couple of weeks before i need him.

Miss L Toe

Visit site
Hi - wondered what you should expect to pay for two sets of shoes. One set is heart bars. Also if the horses are not out of the field between shoeings and there is no wear or damage to the shoes would your farriers trim and refit or charge for a new set.

Also if farrier can't attend for another few weeks which is almost 14 fourteen weeks since last shoeing is it likely to cause problems for our horses
Of course it would damage the horse is they were left fourteen weeks, the hooves grow and will distort the conformation, straining tendons and ligaments.
They need to have new shoes fitted any time from 4 to 8 weeks, the farrier should be advising you if you don't know these things.
If horses are not being worked they usually don't need shoes.

Escada2004

Visit site
I pay £66 a set for normal shoes, not sure about heartbars but a friend of mine has them and i think they are about £90 a time for heartbar fronts and normal backs. Mine are shod every six weeks and i never let them go over as you can get all sorts of problems, tendons, ligaments and unbalancing plus ruin the feet themselves! Surely the easiest thing to do is book them in for their next set when the farrier comes each time, thats what i do? The at least you are booked in and if need be you can always change the date, if he cant change it then stick with what you have. I understand that when you get a new horse its hard to judge how long inbetween shoeings you need but when you have had the horse for a couple of shoeings you can generally tell how long they will go without any problems occuring?

dornrose

Visit site
I wouldn't go more than eight weeks between shoeing, I usually get him out every 6 weeks he charges around £65 and he will do refits, which are slightly cheaper.