Farrier issues...

conniegirl

Visit site
I’m actually quite offended to be accused of playing Russian roulette with my horses health. Mine live out 24/7 with access to stables 24/7. Living out is what horses were designed to do and I believe that their hooves are also designed to cope with changes in moisture through the year. Mine are all barefoot and feet picked out daily. I’ve never had a laminitis that wasn’t caused by undiagnosed Cushings and none of mine have ever had any bacterial issues such as thrush. They all have lovely hooves and I’m pretty certain that shutting them in at night isn’t going to improve their health one bit and is more likely to cause harm.

wasn't me doing the accusing!
in 30 years of keeping native ponies I've never had a case of laminitis in a pony that didn't arrive already suffering from it. I've also never had a case of thrush or white line disease. Mine live out 24/7 in summer and in at night in winter. I've had barefoot, normal shod and shod with racing plates and mixtures of both (Shod in summer, barefoot in winter).
The only horses I have known who have had thrush are those that are stabled a lot but I think that was more down to the fact that thier owners were crap at bothering to pick out feet or mucking out.

meleeka

Visit site
wasn't me doing the accusing!
in 30 years of keeping native ponies I've never had a case of laminitis in a pony that didn't arrive already suffering from it. I've also never had a case of thrush or white line disease. Mine live out 24/7 in summer and in at night in winter. I've had barefoot, normal shod and shod with racing plates and mixtures of both (Shod in summer, barefoot in winter).
The only horses I have known who have had thrush are those that are stabled a lot but I think that was more down to the fact that thier owners were crap at bothering to pick out feet or mucking out.

Sorry, i quoted you to agree with you, but forgot to actually say that above. 😀