Farrier overtrims your horse... do you get rid?

fuze

Visit site
Say you've had the farrier out for your (unshod) horse. Used him for the past 6mths or so, no issues. He comes out one rainy afternoon, when pone is due a tidy up, and seems to take more off than usual. Neddy isn't hopping lame, but seems hobbly and is tripping an awful lot on stones. He wasn't at all hobbly before farrier came, he's been hobbly for 5 days after farrier's been, and his feet look visibly short.

Do you change farriers?

For the record, farrier knows we do a fair amount of roadwork and so usually leaves them on the slightly longer side due to wear. Cobby keeps them down fairly well himself, and normally only needs shaping and tidying. Is one-off forgivable, or do you get shot?

zaminda

Visit site
Considering that my friends horse has been crippled by her farrier of 8 years, and he appears to have brought on laminitis (vet says) then I would get rid. I would rather have my horses done more often as they have been left a bit longer than have the horse lame. My vets farrier crippled one of mine a few years ago, she was lame for 6 weeks, so it is something I am rather pedantic about.

BBH

Visit site
Only get rid after you have secured a new one.

You don't upset them in my neck of the woods as they are so booked up.

I have the opposite problem as I'd like mine to take a little more off.

Equilibrium Ireland

Visit site
Yes, and have done. My, at the time 10 month pregnant mare was left in agony and pony feet after previous long term farrier scalped her. It was horrific. I went flipping crazy. Previously bare and no problems her whole life. Now I keep fronts on her at all times. She just has never been the same. Pretty much a mechanical founder. I've never bred her back. Kept her in makeshift pads until 2 1/2 months later when she could finally get shoes. Yeah, I know but she go pour ins and is happy now and comfortable. Yes vet looked at her too.

Terri

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
If had been fine for the previous 6 months I would speak to the farrier and let him know he has been footy and arrange for less to be taken off less time.

Whilst working out how tidy we wanted F's feet to be the trimmer did prob do a bit too much one time (even though it wasn't a lot!) I didn't sack her :eek: I let her know and less was done next time.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Well no I think I'd say what the problem was and suggest perhaps not taking too much off. Any farrier who respects his customers would be happy to take that on board...

Mine told me to **** off and mind my own business so we haven't spoken since.

Equilibrium Ireland

Visit site
LOL Tallyho. What's the difference between God and a farrier? God knows he's not a farrier. That just sprung to mind when I read your post!

Terri

mandwhy

Visit site
I'd tell the farrier and see how receptive they were to discussing it and being more careful next time. If they tried to pass the buck or deny they had chopped off too much, then I would think about finding someone else. I would never change farrier without trialling a new one first either.

We are only human, after all, it's whether we learn from our mistakes that matters.

kellybee

Visit site
I'd ring him and ask him to come back out, explain the situation, let him see for himself and tell him why you think the horse is lame. He may be able to provide your horse with some sort of support.

Oberon

Visit site
The best farriers and trimmers in the world have all had a 'wrong place, wrong time' experience with a horse and left them sore once.

Sometimes it is genuinely unavoidable without the benefit of hindsight.

A horse may not be 100% before the trim and the trim itself just pushes them over the edge into being sore.

I have seen the most sympathetic and gentle trim leave a horse sore afterwards :confused:.

The success is when the professional learns from this and adapts the trim next time.
But they can only do this when they are given some feedback and informed about what happened.

I wouldn't sack a farrier/trimmer for a one time blip - but I would if it became a regular occurrence or if my feedback fell on deaf ears :).

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I have to say I have been surprised at the number of people who have said they would sack instantly without discussion!

tallyho!

Visit site
LOL Tallyho. What's the difference between God and a farrier? God knows he's not a farrier. That just sprung to mind when I read your post!

Terri

Lol... sums it up nicely for a few around here.

There are two or three I respect out of however many there are around here. If anything happened to my trimmer, I'd still be reluctant to call... you just don't get the same level of care.

elijahasgal

Visit site
Depends on their attitude
Have gone through one or two over years, the last was I believe in part because he was doing a foal of mine, always asked him to trim to ensure legs straight. got him out the day before grading, he said yes legs straight. Quietly simmered the next day when the comment was pidgeon toed. When I spoke about it, he started justifying himself, that he was considering only feet, and straightening leg could cause lameness.....Ummmmm you tell me your concerns and ultimatly let me, the owner decide.....
Next time he was due it was wet, and decided he wasnt coming, only phoning me to say after I had waited in low cloud for an hour. The next (3 weeks later) I made mistake, and called, and legged it there, on phone on and off whole way to keep him informed. He went when i got there and was bringing horses down to him. For shod horses I think its a loss, for trims, well I have got someone younger and better...... who is willing to listen and work with me, and discuss

fuze

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I'll have a chat with him and see how that goes. I'm just horrifically frustrated by it. I've been trying my damned to work some weight off him lately... thanks to farrier having a bad day, I guess we're going to have to hold off for a while :(

tallyho!

Visit site
Well, I shouldn't go about promoting trimming your own horses (no legal standing to say you can or you can't) but why don't you learn how to do it yourself?

Most established and working barefoot horses need very little taking off as they self-trim on the most part. Riders rasps are alright but normal ones will do.

PolarSkye

Visit site
I'd ring farrier and say horse is lame . . . what I did next would depend on the response. If farrier wasn't straight round (or as soon as possible) to check horse out and discuss possible options, etc., then I'd be looking for another farrier.

We had something similar at our yard . . . farrier badly shod a livery's horse - horse was lame immediately after shoeing - farrier did some adjustments there and then but horse was still lame a week later. Farrier did text owner and ask after horse - when told horse was STILL lame, farrier gave no response. Farrier has now been fired. Within a day of new farrier seeing to the horse, horse was sound - could have been coincidence, but . . .

P

amandap

Visit site
I have to say I have been surprised at the number of people who have said they would sack instantly without discussion!
Yes, surely it's better to discuss and ask questions and take it from there.

However, I am shocked at TH's farriers response. I sincerely hope you have a different one now TH? :D

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
We had something similar at our yard . . . farrier badly shod a livery's horse - horse was lame immediately after shoeing - farrier did some adjustments there and then but horse was still lame a week later. Farrier did text owner and ask after horse - when told horse was STILL lame, farrier gave no response. Farrier has now been fired. Within a day of new farrier seeing to the horse, horse was sound - could have been coincidence, but . . .

P

I'm actually amazed by the amount of people I know who put up with this. My last horse had nailbind/ hopping lame three times with one particular farrier and I saw so many others on the yard have lame horses after he'd shod them. Plus that farrier always had in his head that the horse MUST be shod in a particular way. That way didn't suit the horse and he was always short in front. Farrier wouldn't listen to me so I asked someone else (a remedial farrier) to come out and assess. New farrier came out, was shocked at how short the horse had been shod, switched him to NB shoes and horse walked out instantly sound. I had that horse for another couple of years after switching farriers and he never had nailbind again, was never lame after shoeing, and was generally a different horse under that farrier.

In the OP's case I would call the farrier, discuss it with him and see what he proposes to do about it. If he isn't bothered or it happens again, then find someone else. Though most farriers in my area are so booked up and busy that they'd be unlikely to take on a client who only wants a little trim and tidy up for one horse.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
First time it happens say to them he was a bit lame after trimming and to leave them a little longer perhaps :)

If its continuous get another farrier or learn to tidy them yourself :)

PolarSkye

Visit site
Though most farriers in my area are so booked up and busy that they'd be unlikely to take on a client who only wants a little trim and tidy up for one horse.

I can see the sense in this attitude where the farrier is visiting a yard just for one horse . . . but surely so much of the horsey world revolves around word-of-mouth and reliable, flexible farriers seem to be like gold dust . . . so a small job on a large yard (we have 30-odd) might net more customers (as in the above example . . . unhappy livery asked me about my farrier and now uses him).

P

Rollin

Visit site
One of my mare's had laminits 20 months ago, we have not been able to get her right. The farrier was not doing a correct trim, in spite of being told for 18 months to trim the toes.

I have had huge problems finding a farrier. Finally a new one visited just over a week ago - the mare was trotting within 24 hours.

Another mare was 'pottery' lame for four months lots of vet visits. Finally took her to see the Professor in Nantes Vet Hospital, he put wedges on the exterior of her hoofs, strapping them on with tape. He gave written instructions to the farrier and the mare was sound within four weeks. This mare should have done an endurance class which cost me a lot of money but was withdrawn because she was not sound.

I have a filly who pecks on hard ground. I was going to get her x-rayed, till I realised she only did this after trimming. Last time she was lame for a week. My new farrier is coming tomorrow I am sure he will do a better job.

I think there are many poor farriers around but how do you judge?

amandap

Visit site
I'm actually amazed by the amount of people I know who put up with this. My last horse had nailbind/ hopping lame three times with one particular farrier and I saw so many others on the yard have lame horses after he'd shod them. Plus that farrier always had in his head that the horse MUST be shod in a particular way.
Yes, me too but it also amazes me that there are calls for sue the trimmer but no one ever thinks of suing or even reporting their farrier. They have a regulatory body but no one seems to use it. What assurance is that? :confused:

PolarSkye

Visit site
Yes, me too but it also amazes me that there are calls for sue the trimmer but no one ever thinks of suing or even reporting their farrier. They have a regulatory body but no one seems to use it. What assurance is that? :confused:

Is that maybe because people feel that the farrier community is a fairly closed one and stroppy owners will be shunned?

Just a thought.

P

fuze

Visit site
Well, I shouldn't go about promoting trimming your own horses (no legal standing to say you can or you can't) but why don't you learn how to do it yourself?

Most established and working barefoot horses need very little taking off as they self-trim on the most part. Riders rasps are alright but normal ones will do.

I had debated a rider's rasp, just haven't got round to ordering one! Do you trim your own, out of interest?

I'm reluctant to call the farrier back out, because he's not fully lame. He's just a bit doddery / stumbly. If he was hopping lame I'd be straight on the phone, but knowing my luck farrier will show up and he'll look like nothing's wrong :rolleyes:

tallyho!

Visit site
Yes, surely it's better to discuss and ask questions and take it from there.

However, I am shocked at TH's farriers response. I sincerely hope you have a different one now TH? :D

Yes I found an EPAUK trimmer and she practically saved Malt's life! Wouldn't have anyone else now. I'd be devastated if she moved.