Farrier Prices...BEWARE MANY QUESTIONS!!

xRobyn

Visit site
£30 for a trim, but he doesn't come to my area any more except for me. I've had far too much experience with paying less and getting an unreliable farrier who I would be waiting to call and cancel, rather than actually have him come down! last straws where when his apprentice elbowed Phil in the ribs and they cancelled on me when I stated I was very worried about Phil having lami(!!) He's had it before, so surely if I can't rely on him for that, what can I?

New farrier comes on time, has never left me waiting, rolls the toes nicely and managed to come down within two days of my first ever call to him. Never had shoes so wouldn't know the price.

Fantasy_World

Visit site
My farrier is very reliable :) and I am in Staffordshire
I pay £20 for a trim.
Used to be £60 for full set and £35-£40 for fronts and back feet trimmed.
I have 4 horses, ranging in size with one having almost heavy horse sized feet ( he's a cross) and a youngster that has pony size feet at the moment.
I pay the same price for trimming on all of them and don't get any discount for having 4 done at the same time.
When my horses were shod (as all barefoot now) they were hot shod. 3 out of the 4 were shod btw, as youngster always been bare and hope to stay that way.
Have also known other farriers in the area who charge £65 for full set hot shod and around £40 for fronts and trims and £15 for a trim. Although that was a time ago and they may have increased their prices now.

SpottyTB

Visit site
Full set; £65
Half and trim £35
Trim; £20
Lost shoe £5
Shoe come off but found £0

He's always 10 mins early, very firm but fair with our nags and he does a fantastic job!

And to the person who said "does he have the facility for you to go to him?"

Most farriers have a forge at home or around that they make shoes in (all apprentice farriers need at least 4hours in the forge a week- or so my OH tells me) so I'm guessing qualified farriers will have somewhere to make shoes/shoeing area.

I do agree though, a call out of £20 is quite steep. Only got another year until my OH is qualified, then I'll be bottem of the list to be done but free;p

fidleyspromise

Visit site
What do you pay? £70 for a full set and £30 for a trim

Does the price get affected if you have just one horse at home and have the farrier out vs on a yard and more than one at a time? Nope, they're at different stages on my yard so he puts several in together from that general area

Do you pay more for evening/weekend shoeing? No - same
Hot/cold shoeing prices affected? Hot shoeing only

Prices in Hampshire?? No idea, I'm NE Scotland :D but your prices seem average and are less than mine (have you noticed EVERYTHING is more expensive?!!)

Answers as above

Ellies_mum2

Visit site
We pay £15 a trim. £55 a full set of shoes hot shod and £50 if he refits the old shoes back on. £1 per road nail and £5 call out which we take turns in paying. Last time he came out he did 1 new set of shoes and 1 refit and 6 trims. He can be a grumpy sod but he is rarely late, does a good job and is patient with the youngsters.

Unfortunately he is retiring and moving to Wales :( Need to find another farrier soon :(

celia

Visit site
We pay £30 for a trim and sometimes an extra £5 for travel if he's not in the area. More expensive than most but he takes his time and does a really good job. Still far cheaper than shoes, especially as they're done every 8-12 weeks (depending on time of year), and their feet look fab. :)

brucethegypsycob

Visit site
£54 full hot shoe set for heavy gypsy cob. £15 for trim on unshod 2yr old. My farrier is wonderful with the horses - they go all dozy and sleepy when he does their feet! Plus he runs my welsh cob at the shows which is fab. He`s worth every penny.

monkeybum13

Visit site
I think it's £64 for full set, road nails and lots of gossip ;)

Price unaffected by time of day/week and other horses. Farrier lives in the next village so is always available for an issues ie shoe pulled off.

We're in South Glos / Bristol.

Ella19

Visit site
£20 trim can't remember shoeing cost but think it's £47 for fronts and trim backs and £65 for full set. Love my farrier though and would never swap! Thats Surrey/West Sussex border.

Edited to add that is regardless of time of day or weekends (his choice!). He only shoes my horse at my yard but he's a friend from college otherwise I think it would be reasonable to charge more especially if he's only coming out to trim my horse!

NU ABO

Visit site
I'm paying £15 every 6-7weeks for my barefoot boy to be trimmed up

Mum's paying £55 for a fullset every 5 weeks for her boy

We don't pay any other fees, only the work that needs doing
Mum only has hot shoeing done

He mostly good, but soetimes he does things a bit too fast I think, especially when he trims up my boys feet. I haven't actually been there for it (I work most of the time he comes over to do it).
Also he has too many apprentices, I understand they need to do hands-on experience, but he could at least ask whether you'd be okay for the apprentices to be your horses feet.

But he knows mum's TB's slightly deformed foot very well, so changing might not be a wise idea.

I'm planning to make sure I'm there next time he does my boys feet and I'm checking how well he does them.

Ibblebibble

Visit site
£23 for a trim, you book a day and a time with his wife and farrier turns up, you can book a set of visits 6 months in advance if you're organised! he's fantastic with the horses, never raises his voice and certainly wouldn't hit one of them.

JessandCharlie

Visit site
My farrier said the other day that, because of the weather, he's going through a rasp every 3 days. They cost him £15-20 each to replace, which may also contribute to the price increase. We're about 10 mins from you OP, and our farrier charges £70 per set, plus stud holes and £20 for a trim.

Their feet are, however, brilliant and he is a very quiet, reliable and punctual guy, so we don't mind paying more than some others charge :)

J&C

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
£65 for a full set of hot shod on a large fuzzy & also a trim on a smaller fuzzy, usually every 6 weeks, tho can be 4 or 5 weeks if feet/shoes require it more soon.

Comes out emergency occasions when shoe off/loose happens, but this is rare (not the coming out, but any shoe probs :D ) Has even been known to meet me at very silly-o'clock in the morning before a show or event in the old days.
Always on time :)
Lovely lovely chap.

I provide him with coffee + biscuits or cake, hard standing concrete - or a light airy box if weather is bad.

He does have different charges as to where he goes and who owners are.
I know I have a very good deal from him compared to others, but he has been coming for well more than 25 yrs to me :)

Horsehead

Visit site
Paid £65 in Essex for full set, good farrier sorted out my mares feet which were overgrown when I got her. Thoroughbred feet but his shoes would last a good solid 6 weeks, moved yards out of his area and got their farrier to do her feet, £50 a full set, her feet started falling apart after 3 weeks and she's lost both back shoes so old farrier recommended me someone who is coming to fix her feet. I'm not saying where I am, but needless to day I'm not happy.