Farrier suggestions in South Leicestershire Please.

sare_bear

Visit site
Hi.

I am desperately seeking a reliable, not outrageously expensive, but decent farrier in South Leicester. The farrier I currently use is reliable, but very expensive and to be honest not that great unless your horse has good hoof balance to start.

Can anyone recommend anyone? Preferably under the £75 mark. Has anyone used David Horton. I know he is away travelling, but is back in July. Can probably manage til then, if he is good. Need a farrier that takes the toes back, not leaves them like flippers. :eek:

Any suggestions welcome. :)

Thanks.

sare_bear

Visit site
Thanks. Shall try Guy Shieffield and hope that he is taking on new clients.
Anyone use or know David Horton?

sare_bear

Visit site
Thanks Sandylou. Can you pm me Tim's no. Do you know how much a set of shoes cost?
Have found A FB page for David, but just wandering of personal experiences.

ferniegirl

New User
Visit site
I used David Horton last year.He came to shoe my Mare,after 6 days my mare had lost a shoe.I rang David ,he told me that he would be out on the Friday to replace the shoe.Friday came He didnt turn up,so I rang and rang,No answer..Then I find out from another Farrier,2 weeks later,that David had gone on holiday for 6 months!!! I was not happy:mad::mad:
Months later, David had the Cheek to send me a txt saying he was back offering his services again..I found David Horton very arrogant ,his work Poor and his service very Poor !!!! Overall I had a very mad exspience..I would never use him again..:mad:

ferniegirl

New User
Visit site
Will PM you now. Both Dave and Tim are good!
It is so clear that Charlie 1 is David Horton..its so obvious that its him!! Have you seen all of Charlie 1 threads..their all about how Amazing ,Brillant he is..It shows you that he is clearly struggling for work..when he has to pretend tobe a happy customer leaving himself Glowing references..It really amazes me how arrogant he is!!

Visit site
ferniegirl - I don't know who you are or how I could have upset you so much.

-All horses will occasionally loose shoes, for many different reasons that are very rarely the farriers fault (trust me, lost shoes are just as much an inconvenience to us as to you.) I very rarely loose shoes and I have never had any complaints about this.

-Reliability and punctuality are very important to me, it would be impossible to run my business without them. I'm sure you can appreciate also that horses/customers/traffic can all be very unpredictable and affect my day greatly. I always endeavour to call my customers if I am more than 10 minuets late or in the very worsted scenario: if I cant make it to them (a very, very rare occurrence). Again, I can not recall ever receiving any complaints of this nature.

In your case I don't know what happened. If I did miss you on that Friday it was a genuine mistake and I can only apologise.

-I did spend 6 months abroad in the first half of 2011. I advised all of my regular clients of this at least one shoeing period before I left in person. I also sent a SMS to every customer in my phone advising them that I was leaving. There were also notices on my website and my facebook page over 2 months in advance. I gave names and numbers of other farriers who would have been able to take on new work to anyone who requested it.

-Charlie 1 certainly isn't me. To advertise in this way would be extremely unprofessional and would probably be against the Farriers Code Of Professional Conduct.

Feel free to contact me if you wish [Content removed]

Last edited by a moderator:

ferniegirl

New User
Visit site
thats very funny how you answered this thread so quickly..if your not Charlie 1 !!! do you think I was born yesterday!!! its so obvious your charlie 1 !!!

happy-appy

Visit site
I guess that you have found a farrier by now...but just for the interest of other readers I'd like to record my experience of David Horton.

David has been looking after my young lads' feet for the past year. David has done a lovely job with my young horse who was at first a little on edge with the whole business. I have found David to be really patient with the horse and has made a great job of maintaining my lad's barefoot status.

David was first referred to me by a (very particular) lady who needs not only healthy, but beautifully balanced feet for the showring. She has used David for many years for a yard full of horses, and she could not rate him highly enough.

I for one will keep using him!

Bunchy

Visit site
My farrier covers your area Simon creedy he is fab always on time and can always be got on the phone and works 7days a week too!!!!

Bunchy

Visit site
Just looking through the posts on here as my farrier has just been out today and sorted my new lame horse out and wondered if anyone else uses him on here as I am really pleased and did a search for farriers that's all

AngieandBen

Visit site
I've used Damion Williams in the past ( mine are now barefoot and self trim mostly ) he's very good and a nice guy too. His no is 07989 629123 hopefully it will be the same no!

Country lady

New User
Visit site
Hi , I used David Horton for trimming my horse for just over a year and he was good. My horse never had any issues. Just please note he never shod my horse so I can't comment how good he was/is in shoeing.

Before Davids holiday to Oz for 6 months he gave me notice and a long list of farriers whom I could contact. I believe he did the same for all of his clients. One of them was Luke Massie, one lady knew him and told me he was trained by one of the best farriers around. So I called him and he has been my horses farrier 5 years now :) I moved yards twice too and he is brilliant.

He now shoes my horse in the summer only as I do more hacking on the road and the shoes I'm not kidding never come off unless he takes them off! He also is very knowledgeable about lameness being horse owner himself. My horse has lovely feet and plenty of heel thank to him.
I strongly recommend Luke Massie!

I was willing to come back to David Horton, he even came back to do it but with price increase so that and Luke being brilliant decided against using him.

I used Stephen Blacksmith when we were in the North of Leics too before. He was OK but not sure if still operating.

Last edited: