Farrier

Supertrooper

Visit site
What do people do when they’ve got nowhere dry to do it?

Ponies due on weds, weather forecast awful and his legs are plastered in mud. I’m currently getting over flu and just can’t face doing it.

His feet look fine but he’s not been done for over eight weeks.

Sandstone1

Visit site
Maybe ring your farrier and ask if he's happy to do it. Don't think mine would be to be honest as it's not nice handling wet muddy legs. Also mud ruins the rasp. Otherwise is there's stable you can borrow so he can dry off before hand.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I travel mine to the farrier. Legs washed before going on the box, Thermatex wraps so they are dry when we get there. Dry forge to do them in.

My farrier would not be keen on wet, muddy legs and shoeing in the rain. Many of his clients come to the forge.

SpringArising

Visit site
Do you have a hose you can use to wash the worst off, then towel dry? If not I'd postpone - if barefoot eight weeks really isn't a long time, especially if they are looking OK!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Leave it for a bit longer? It won't be a problem unless the feet have particular issues.

Mine stay in the night before as farrier arrives 7.30 to 8, but the small ones go every other time, so 10 to 12 weeks.