Farriers Dogs?

feisty_filly

Visit site
im just wondering what everyones oppinions on them are?
my hubbies a farrier and he takes my dog to work with him but if hes aware that no dogs are aloud on the yard hes working on he will keep her in the van. however i know alot of farriers that dont do this and just let the dogs out wherever they are, so... whats your oppinion? are you more lenient with the farriers dogs if there is a no dog ruel on the yard? or do you ask them to keep them in the van?
just currious realy :D

mymare

Visit site
I keep mine on a farm and there are no other people there apart from the man who rents the farmhouse from the estate. He has dogs and I have my dog who always comes with me. My only problem with other people's dogs is when they crap everywhere and it's not picked up. I have to say he always takes a shovel with him and clears up their mess, as do I after my dog. Just makes it cleaner and more pleasant for everyone. However, a farrier I used many moons ago used to bring his JR with him, it peed on everything and crapped everywhere, he never once apologised or attempted to clear up his mess. I would probably have been more assertive (was just a teenager at the time) but my main fear was that Mr Grumpy Farrier (he was always in a mood about something, if and when he bothered to turn up) would tell me to get stuffed and find another farrier. I wouldn't have minded so much if there hadn't been such a shortage of them.

If people let their dogs out, it's just common courtesy to clear up their mess behind them.

Booboos

Visit site
I don't mind as long as the dogs are friendly (keep my horses at home), but I do keep my dogs out of the way of the farrier for his own safety. I did find it odd with one farrier who brought a very unruly dog with him. The dog was friendly but too friendly if you see what I mean. It would run under the horse's belly, very close to their back legs, etc. and all this while the farrier was trying to shoe.

BonneMaman

Visit site
I think a farrier should respect a "no dogs" rule. This could be for various reasons including another dog on the yard that is very territorial - no one wants a dog fight on their hands, small children that could get hurt or bitten and quite frankly dog crap - farrier is not controlling the dog so is not going to see if the dog relieves itself somewhere.

Damnation

Visit site
They should respect no dog rules.
If the yard allows dogs they should be well behaved and the farrier should pick up if the dog poos.
My pet hate is when people bring dogs to yards, let the dogs loose and they are hyper and unruly. Get under the horses feet etc. Not all horses are tolerant of dogs so its more of a safety thing for the dogs too, so nobody get injured. If your dog is young/hyper/etc. It should be on a lead.

Last edited:

WGS

Visit site
I found it annoying when the saddler just let her wondering terrier out without asking, which then went missing around the farm and was found in a horses field. I dont mind, if they dont wander and also if they ask is its ok first!

mollichop

Visit site
My farriers dog runs around with my dogs, it's nice and they don't get in the way of shoeing (although mine catch the foot as it's being cut off so have to shift them :rolleyes:).

He always asks first though if it's o.k. The only thing that would bother me is if he were to wee on the hay/straw bales (the dog - not the farrier :D)

Ranyhyn

Visit site
I just love dogs, so personally I don't mind it when they are coming to do my horse (my farrier doesn't bring his dog to work so it doesnt matter) but I think they should always ask out of courtesy first before letting them out.

Last edited:

HashRouge

Visit site
I hate it :eek:
I don't mind if the farrier asks, but I hate the fact that they will just turn up and let their dogs out without checking that it's okay with the people who are out and about on the yard. My mare is fine with dogs, but I'm wary of dogs I don't know and would rather they stayed in the car than tear up and down the yard. I don't mind the ones that are very well behaved and calm, but most of the farriers I know seem to have hyperactive dogs that race around everywhere! A friend once had the farrier up to her horse and he pulled his van onto the yard and parked right behind where my mare was tied up, very close to her bum and, before I had a chance to shift her, he opened the car door and his dog barreled out into my mare's hind quarters. She was so surprised she nearly fell over! I was furious, and he didn't even apologise!

BigRed

Visit site
I USED to have a farrier who bought two enormous dogs with him and he used to just open the door and let them go where they wanted, they happily crapped on my lawn - seemingly every time he came to our house. He seemed to think it was par for the course, and not a problem. It used to really upset me. Thankfully he is no longer my farrier.

marmalade76

Visit site
Farriers' dogs do annoy me, there is one farrier (not mine) that comes to our yard with two dogs. He lets them out to do as they please, which includes p*ssing and $h*ting on my hay!!! :mad: :mad: As the yard does not belong to me, I can't stop him from letting his dogs out. The only thing we can do is to keep the sides of the stack high rather than having 'steps' up into it. My own farrier does not let his dog out without asking if it's OK first.

Last edited:

Teddybully

Visit site
Had a new farrier once who turned up on his fist visit and let his dog out without so much as asking, he hadn't even seen me at this point. it jumped over the fence into my garden and was lucky not to be savaged by my very territorial dog. When I actually got out to the yard to see him he had the nerve to warn me that my dogs weren't secure in my garden as his dog had just jumped into it! Strange that, in two years mine haven't jumped out yet he knows best and has the nerve to warn ME. He got a mouthful, didn't like him and no longer my farrier. Just ridiculous not to ask.

Cop-Pop

Visit site
Farriers' dogs do annoy me, there is one farrier (not mine) that comes to our yard with two dogs. He lets them out to do as they please, which includes p*ssing and $h*ting on my hay!!! :mad: :mad: As the yard does not belong to me, I can't stop him from letting his dogs out. The only thing we can do is to keep the sides of the stack high rather than having 'steps' up into it. My own farrier does not let his dog out without asking if it's OK first.

I wonder if thats the farrier I used - he arrived, the dogs were let out despite me asking him not to and they then toileted all over the yard :mad: Suprisingly I didn't use him again.

jinglejoys

Visit site
I'm so glad I'm not the only one!I dred having one call.They always come with dogs that bounce about all over the place darting around under the belly and feet.I'm always worried my mules will kick them and it made me tense which of coarse made the mule tense.
I've no wish to stop them bringing a dog I like it but I do wish they'd keep them under control

feisty_filly

Visit site
thanks guys
i know my hubbie always asks weather the dog can come out, just out of concideration, he will also try his best to pick up her mess.

i ust to be live in yard groom and i know a lot dont ask which did annoy me as my dog and another dog lived on the yard and they wer very territorial, never attacked, just spent the whole time growling and barking and genrally makeing loads of noise! so i do know where alot of you are comeing from.

i just wonderd as i know there are a few yards that hubbie goes to that liverys arnt aloud dogs on but our dog is aloud out (as yo knows she doesnt run about, pee on straw or get in the way) so was just curious on other peoples oppinions.