Farriers formula

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I prefer the Progressive Earth Pro Hoof, it threw out some really good quality horn. However, horse does not like it very much so it needs hiding in tasty feed. She now does not eat a bucket meal, but I will sometimes "treat" with Formula 4 Feet, which seems quite similar to Farrier's Formula in that it is pelleted, she will eat that no problem and thinks it is delicious.

Reactions: TPO

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
equimins adv. complete (if want a pellet)/pro hoof/forageplus/equivita.

Red I think F4F and FF are the same formulation but I can't remember the history on that/someone left/there was a fall out or something??!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I used it for one horse for years but it didn't seem to do tonnes of good. I think it has iron in it which I would avoid now. I am really impressed with pro earth mineral supp-they both look fab on it and feet are excellent-though they have great horn already. I used equimmins last year but their coats are awesome this year and will continue with the pro earth plus vit e in the winter.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i used to use f4f for my cushings mare and it made a difference, her feet were very brittle and condition improved greatly. i stopped feeding it and within a couple of months had the same brittle feet, put her back on it and feet improved again so kept her on it for the rest of her life. i didnt mention the feed to my farrier and the first time he asked me what i was feeding her as her feet were so good and strong. might not work for everyone but did for mine...

paddy555

Visit site
Anyone use/rate it? I’m after something to improve hooves that are becoming brittle.

I use equimins advanced complete, powder not pellets. If you are in an area with very little rainfall as we are ATM then you could try either letting them stand in a stream or a hosepipe for a few minutes. That would help with brittle feet. Horses grazing get moisture in their feet from dew in the mornings but of course it is so dry now and there is little dew.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
CT we are googling the same stuff at the moment lol! I will follow with interest as I am feeding the Naf biotin plus but wondered if I could use something better not been using it long though.

Gift Horse

Visit site
My horse does well on Pro Hoof. He had poor flat feet when I bought him. I used to have him shod with dbl clips on the fronts to help.
The Pro Hoof has definitely improved his hooves. He has it with some salt, in a small handful of soaked grass nuts - he loves this Meagre ration!
His white feet are rock hard now and I keep him barefoot.
41864DF4-42F9-4380-B90E-E0DCC6A96A25.jpeg

be positive

Visit site
I have one here on it, he is very fussy and will not eat the others we have tried, it definitely helps keep his feet stronger, even if it is not the best spec so far it is the only option he will consider so we are sticking with it.

meleeka

Visit site
I used it for my Cushings mare who had really soft soles and it worked really well. I tried Forumla4feet first but that didn’t do a lot. I only stopped feeding it because she stopped eating feeds with it in.

Surbie

Visit site
I've been trying the forage plus balancer for feet, cobbus is refusing to eat it except at less than half rations, even after building up slowly, which isn't quite the point. And a bugger since I've bought 2 expensive bags of it.

His hoof wall is currently not good on the fronts since we had the wet spell and he was out 24/7. His feet were amazing last year so the falling apart was a bit of a panicky moment.

I've since been recommended HoofMaker as a supplement specifically for feet.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
CT we are googling the same stuff at the moment lol! I will follow with interest as I am feeding the Naf biotin plus but wondered if I could use something better not been using it long though.

Dunno where in Herts you are, we’ve probably seen each other in feed shops!

Re biotin, there seems to be a good amount in rosehips. I feed them like sweets to my boy and round my area, there are lots ready to pick. Think I’ll take a bucket and go foraging this week. For an extremely fussy horse, he absolutely loves these.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
So, on balance, the Progressive Earth Pro Hoof seems to be winning. As long as there’s enough fast fibre in his feed, he’ll eat most things.

Bloody hell, I’m having an expensive month. 🤑😞

Gift Horse

Visit site
So, on balance, the Progressive Earth Pro Hoof seems to be winning. As long as there’s enough fast fibre in his feed, he’ll eat most things.

It is expensive, but if ever I take my horse off it he gets niggles, mud-fever for example. I keep my horses pretty cheaply at home out 24/7, so the Pro hoof is my extravagance 😂
I might give the Equimins a try - he refused to eat the forage plus balancer.

Goldenstar

Visit site
PE profeet made not a jot of difference to my horses.
I used FF for years but now I use forage plus performance balancers that certainly boosts growth of feet and hair here .
But the key word is here it will vary according to your land and what the horse is eating .

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Haven't used FF for years as no need currently, but had great results in the past. Have tried other alternatives, but FF was the most effective. Its just blooming expensive.

holeymoley

Visit site
Formula 4 feet has been brilliant throughout my guy's laminitic episode. Nice strong hooves growing down and it's also packed with vitamins and everything else he needs.

tda

Visit site
I have tried ProHoof for my mare, is taking a very very long time to get her to eat it (and she eats anything 🙄) do think it is helping tho

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Dunno where in Herts you are, we’ve probably seen each other in feed shops!

Re biotin, there seems to be a good amount in rosehips. I feed them like sweets to my boy and round my area, there are lots ready to pick. Think I’ll take a bucket and go foraging this week. For an extremely fussy horse, he absolutely loves these.

I am on the edge of Hatfield almost st Albans so go Tittmus mainly, thanks for letting me know about rosehips will have to look if we have any, I am also having an expensive month and now have 2 insurance claims running on one horse and neither can be ridden.

Ceriann

Visit site

Mine has pro hoof - took her barefoot over 3 months ago. She’ll eat it now in chaff but initially needed some soaked nuts to make it tasty. Farrier is very happy with her progress (flat footed TB type feet). Not anywhere near rick crunching but nowhere near as bad as we expected her to be on transition.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I am on the edge of Hatfield almost st Albans so go Tittmus mainly, thanks for letting me know about rosehips will have to look if we have any, I am also having an expensive month and now have 2 insurance claims running on one horse and neither can be ridden.

Blimey, the OH does regular trips to custody there! You know that big building behind Aldi, is it an animal laboratory or something?

I work in St Albans, just finished for the summer on Friday. I'm Watford way, I tend to use T C Feeds or Edgewarebury yard shop if I only need bedding.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Ha ha was at Tittmus today funnily enough! We are going to TC feeds on Friday it's a day out for us as we don't go often.

I have never been to Edgwarebury will check that out, I don't Watford very well only been shopping there.

I really haven't heard about the building near Aldi I will investigate and let you know.

villager

Visit site
I use it for my 20 year old mare who had Laminitis & consequently diagnosed
With Cushings. I’d heard really good reviews in the past but given the price and a horse with healthy hooves , never invested in it. Now that she has had a good recovery from Lami,back to regular work, Ill follow the Ferriers advice and provide it for the rest of the ol’ grey mares life. Her feet are back to normal, no pads needed for hacking out . I believe it’s worth it if your horse has questionable hooves.

Led

Visit site
My vet recommended Vetiquinol Kerabol Biotin over the high street brands. Has worked wonders and there is good science behind it. Vetiquinol do lots of other products too and they are just that bit different but all seem to be really top notch.