fascinating. Horses sleep better on straw

Vetwrap

Visit site
Interesting! I know that my boys sleep well on straw. I have also found that they have less disturbance in their beds if the beds are deeper. If the beds are shallower, then they tend to have churned it up more.

If the beds are deeper, they tend to stand "eating and processing" and then settle down. The paradox is that although there is more bedding going into the stable, there is less coming out in the morning! They do also have rubber mats.

Has anyone else found this?

orangepony

Visit site
I read this with interest; as I remember reading about rates of recumbency on straw bedding in an old study that formed part of my background reading for undergrad dissertation.
I would be particularly interested to see whether any futher research into bedding particle size would link bedding particle sizes to lateral recumbency (REM sleep linked) duration.

Interesting article.

Thank you

kerilli

Visit site
very interesting... but i've never known a horse to eat a shavings bed! i have 1 mare who is a total pig, and is the only horse i've ever known to eat cardboard bedding (after a night with no food, on vet's instructions - due to have stomach 'scope the next morning - she decided it's edible, and now walks into the stable and starts grabbing mouthfuls of it and bolting it down, she's such a pig) and even she hasn't touched shavings once...

PorkChop

Visit site
Interesting - however I was very surprised that the horses were routinely eating shavings. I bed mine on miscanthus and have never seen them eating their bedding. I do love to see a proper straw bed, but stopped using it when I struggled to find the quality, straw nowadays always seems very short.

siennamum

Visit site
really......

P1000814.jpg

sorry it had to be done. He has started to have proper banks even on a day bed, I hasten to add.

Festive_Felicitations

Visit site
Siennamum - brilliant pic! But gees what a position!

Interesting study, thanks for the link. Beau seems to crash out quite well on shavings, (or sand, or grass), I don't think I've ever seen a straw bed here!

I wonder if the eating the bedding bit is realted to them putting their heads down to 'graze' as a sort of habitual action. Assuming they were fed in a manger/haynet not on the floor.

Off topic - but does anyone else think the stables in the article look terribly claustraphobic and clinical with the high brick walls?

cptrayes

Visit site
really......

P1000814.jpg

sorry it had to be done. He has started to have proper banks even on a day bed, I hasten to add.

Is your horse sleeping there because he is trying not to sleep on bare mats in the middle? Or does he just like hugging the wall??

I'm another who has never seen any horse eat shavings.

siennamum

Visit site
I have no idea what my horse is doing there. He has a semi deep litter bed, which is usually deeper and better banked than that. He only came in that day because everyone else was in and 5 minutes after going in he was fast asleep. He would prefer to live in all the time, will plant himself in his stable and refuse to leave, and goes to sleep in his stable within minutes of going in there. he is perfectly chilled and happy in his field - just Loves sleeping in his stable, on straw:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php...50229107714130&set=t.535976198&type=3&theater

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
CS will eat new clean shavings! i have to be ever so quick to mix the new and old together(he wont bother with it once mixed) but he will happily grab and chomp huge mouthfuls straight out the bale!!!!!

Orangehorse

Visit site
That was interesting. Horses are quite happy to chew on wood fencing and eat the bark off trees, so I can see why they might have a nibble at shavings, especially if they are new and clean.

I don't mind mine eating a bit of straw. He doesn't pig it, but he will eat some.

BeckyD

Visit site
Interesting! I must admit you can't beat a lovely straw bed.

My last horse, Ronnie, would happily munch clean shavings (the Bedmax ones in particular). Having said that, his view on life in general was that if you chew long enough, anything is edible. I once had to retrieve a leadrope that had disappeared down almost to the clip. He also ate a haynet including the metal rings, and several haynets not including the metal rings. I don't think many horses would eat the things he did, and he's the only horse I've seen eat shavings.

siennamum

Visit site
I think we should have a thread of just horses in silly sleeping poses. Your horse has far more luxurious surroundings than mine vetwrap. Mine would probs like big banks as a pillow.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Then there is the "resting on your lip tripod" position!

She is now on straw, never ate shavings, but loved to scrape and roll in them - doesn't so much on straw...
DSC00127.jpg

Last edited: