Fashion Tips for the Discerning Horsey Woman

fiwen30

Visit site
Oh crikey this is making me laugh! I'm so glad I'm 1 of 2 on my yard, as today I was decked out in too small jods, covered in brown against their pale blue (and showing off too much bum), a mostly clean polo shirt and my old faithful bright purple yard fleece. I'm not sure when it was last washed, but it gives my car that 'homey' stable smell!

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Am currently at work.......I am an art teacher.........

I seem to be wearing (Long day) grey asda trousers with a fetching blue and brown asda top, they are accented with a layer of modroc residue, smeared felt tip and smudged pencil. The look is finished with an air of desperation that only a teacher three working weeks from GCSE (or even Ofsted) can achieve.

later i will add the horse **** !!

huskydamage

Visit site
LOL at this thread :)
I seem to always end up with some smelly, oversized, holey jumper that gets worn to death. Last 'old faithful' was cruelly kidnapped and destroyed by a vengeful (and probably fed up of the stench) family member who chucked it on the fire.
But haha I've got a new one one now, a navy fishing jumper with about 3 holes in it and it's wool so great at collecting hair and hay, and then dropping it all round the house :p

Annagain

Visit site
I have taken to tucking my jods into my socks. This not only keeps them up inside my wellies, but looks fetching with an ancient pair of trainers when shopping after visiting Miss. My socks NEVER match.

You say this as if it's unusual. Is this not totally normal?

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I have fashioned a trendy new top from an empty Alfa-A bag which I wore today over my friend's son's outgrown fleece so when I clipped hairy pony the hair only stuck to the sleeves and not the body.

Spotsrock

Visit site
[QUOTE

My top trump though is also having streaks of baby snot down my fleece and the other week in a major supermarket I was even sporting a large circular milk wet patch in my left boob area (yes I'm b feeding!) that I only noticed once I'd come out the store. Lovely![/QUOTE]

This is standard at present!

Cowpony

Visit site
I am currently rocking a beautiful white fur coat, aka a fleece that I have inadvisedly groomed my heavily moulting mare in.

Hexx

Visit site
I did go to the Chinese takeaway yesterday wearing a combination of work and yard stuff. So, black silky shirt, flowing black and white knee-length skirt, multi-coloured socks and joddy boots - topped off with my highly fluorescent yellow outsize fleece which has fetching reflective strips all over. My hair still sported the pen that was used to put it up on a bun to keep my hair out my eyes!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
My yard look involves putting yard clothes on top of work clothes. Today, I am wearing two pairs of trousers, one clearly tucked up by the knees (into compression stockings, super sexy!) plus work dress hanging down and an oversize sweatshirt covering me almost to the knees. Sexy!

The tumble dryer has hay in the filter every time. Every pocket contains handfuls of hay and pony nuts. I'm covered in horse/dog hair.

The perfect accessory! :D www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32074610

I took my phone apart the other day and gave it a full muck out. It had so much hair and hay bits in it, I'm surprised it still worked! :eek:

Oh dear, I have to do this regularly! :redface3:

suffolkmare

Visit site
Fab thread! I favour the Equi-skank look too! But when I was at the supermarket earlier I noticed several smart jods, clean boots and new looking joules sweatshirts...they just can't have REAL horses, can they??

Mike007

Visit site
Fab thread! I favour the Equi-skank look too! But when I was at the supermarket earlier I noticed several smart jods, clean boots and new looking joules sweatshirts...they just can't have REAL horses, can they??
No ,that is the "Phoney Pony" look and definately not to be confused with the trendy Equi-Skank. You can easily tell by looking at their fingernails.

suffolkmare

Visit site
Haha! Amazingly I do actually have fingernails at the moment, though I nearly ripped a thumbnail when my daft lovesick (for the mare in his paddock) gelding pushed me into the stable door. My nails are unpainted, uneven, unfiled, but scrubbed clean before tea!

Nosey

Visit site
Tee hee-good thread & how appropriate is the term equi skank!!!! Hopping my early morning stables gear qualifies me for membership??!! Primark fleecy brightly coloured bottoms that I've usually slept in. Fleece top that is now over 30 yrs old (good old musto!) flowery knee socks pulled up to hold fleecy slob pants down & tea cosy hat which hubby says makes me look like a gnome! All winter this look was under wraps & not seen in daylight hours! Neighbours now in for a treat! Not ventured to any public places dressed like this but my day horse get up has stunk out many a local shop queue!

Last edited:

Mynyddcymro

Visit site
Love this thread! Nosey - I'm so pleased I'm not the only primark fleecey trouser buyer! I sport a pair of grey fleece bottoms covered in scarf wearing polar bears every morning - they are excellent! I work in a bank and my colleagues were moaning about the local farmers not taking their wellies off when they come in (its a pretty distinctive smell when they hit the 30 degree blowers we've got going because we're all nesh) and I piped up that I'd never take my wellies off whether it's the bank, supermarket or even the doctors. I live in my wellies!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I work in a bank and my colleagues were moaning about the local farmers not taking their wellies off when they come in (its a pretty distinctive smell when they hit the 30 degree blowers we've got going because we're all nesh)

Probably smell even worse if they came in in their socks.

Gazen

Visit site
Hmm. My breeches used to be balck and my fleece used to be dark purple. They are now covered and brown and white hairs courtesy of the spring moult. I also decided to spend some time chilling out in the stable this morning with the TB. She likes chucking her hay around. This morning she decided to pick the entire pile of hay up with her head and deposit it on my head, so covered from head to toe in grass seeds. I am sure there are a couple stuck in my bra.....
I don't even want to talk about my yard coat. Oh well it is nearly that time of year to put it on a double wash and put it way until October.

Firefly9410

Visit site
I love this thread! Today I am wearing a ten year old white ish work shirt with mud brown cuffs, a fluffy cardigan my mum bought me, some holey pin stripe trousers that are too short in the leg so when I ride look like they are trying to get away from my horse wee smelling jodhpur boots, topped off with a grubby coat and no make up. I was feeling scruffy but my socks match, I am minus hay or horse hair, and the clothes were clean on this morning. So, by the standards of this thread I now know I am in fact a supermodel :D Thanks!

Madam Min

Visit site
Currently lazing about watching the racing wearing a Primarni hoodie+a 20 year old plus threadbare pair of Loveson jods! Usual yard attire ranges from ancient jods to tracky bottoms+a range of t shirt's/jumpers. Regularly sported when doing the Friday big shop at the supermarket where I usually bump into a horsey mate so the two of us scare of the customers!! I reckon my horsey clothes are a lot cleaner than the faded skanky Pj's you sometimes see on parade! 😉

Visit site
Reading this I think I am looking pretty tidy in muddy walking boots, half wet half chaps, navy Ornella Prosperi waterproofs and a grey and white Horseware Newmarket fleece - all covered in variations of anti biotics, bute, ice tight, honey - you name it, I'm wearing it! Bloody horses! Who'd have 'em?!?

springtime1331

Visit site
I seem to live in tagg riding over trousers, polo shirts and horseware fleeces, matching socks (proud of that one) and suede boots I wear to stop the car getting too muddy. All seems pretty good, but I can't do much about the hay, hair and general smell. I used to have a colleague who walked behind me picking hay out of my hair, which was great.

Hanson

Visit site
Roll on spring, love the light long days, but miss the dark where I could pull on a pair of my OH jogging bottoms over tights / dress when getting to yard in evening after work.
Also agree that day light makes you aware of dirt!
Went to super market on way home and realised I was leaving trail of hair in aisles from two moulting horses of various shades....paid and fled!!!

How is it though I can tolerate yard 'diet' but can't stand city dirt? Is there a difference?

Nudibranch

Visit site
Hmm, in a slight trend reversal last week I only needed to check over and feed one night after work and really couldn't be bothered to change before my shower so I tramped up the field in a silk shift dress, knee length cardigan and sheer tights, with woolly socks and wellies over the top, and my filthy jacket undone as it was mild. Unfortunately little horse decided to wipe his face on me after his dinner...

Beausmate

Visit site
Today our model is wearing the latest in evening attire for the Equestrian Field. A lovely Mole Valley hoodie, in gorgeous faded green, with a very fine hole pattern on the pocket, worn over a complimentary faded T-shirt in a lovely brown, continuing the holey theme; flowing navy joggers - something new for this season, as they have no actual holes, as do the contrasting pink socks, overlaid with a hair-speckled green fleece, sporting a fetching suede trim that darkens from it's original beige, into a vivid mud orange, and desert camo waterproof overtrousers. This fabulous ensemble is finished with green neoprene wellies, to compliment the fleece, a black woolly hat and purple and grey work gloves. A delicate hay/poo/herballs combo perfectly sets off this fascinating piece.

EmmaB

Visit site
Well I hurriedly shoved on the only clean pair of jods I could find for work the other morning (work on a yard) only to realise once I got home that they had a giant hole in the front of the crotch. And I had bright turquoise pants on. So at least I was clean but er..rather revealing!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Laughing at Nudibranch!

I had to attend a function at work one evening in the summer, so I went home, got changed into my poshest long dress, did loads of makeup as I had to sit on the stage and be stared at by hundreds of parents, put my purple jod boots back on and drove back to the yard to turn out the horse. Boy, did I stomp across that field! Not a happy bunny, it was boiling and the stage is like a sauna in summer!