Fast fibre allen&page

bz88

Visit site
Hi I have good doer on forever diet who also is ulcer prone. Spoken to the vet today and apart what he’s already getting which is soaked hay, thunderbrook chaff, pink powder senior, mint, salt and equinutritive no more nerves(not spooky but worrier) she suggested swap to pink powder normal and add brewers yeast and add fast fibre mash. He’s on very poor grazing at the moment and that’s only field we have(yo said he doesn’t need grass which in theory is true) so I hay him every day.
I can’t offer ad-lib on field as he’s sharing it with other pony who also is fatty and owner doesn’t want them to have too much, if it was up to me I’d ad-lib him due to lack of grass.
He’s unhappy, very very hangry and becoming a bit of the handful bringing from the field not much for me as I put him in his place but for other lady I share chores with. Vet suggested a little fast fibre to keep his tummy full for longer. Can I have your knowledgeable lot opinion on that? I of course don’t want him to get fat as he looks great at the moment. He’s ridden 4-5 X per week.
Many thanks

meleeka

Visit site
Phone Allen & Page and ask them directly. I’m assuming Thunderbrooks chaff is low in sugar/starch. Could you just feed more of that?

I found FF conditioning, although it is low calorie, so I’d hesitate in adding it. It contains unmollassed sugar beet which you could just feed instead and would be cheaper, but could also be conditioning. A KG of chaff would take him longer to eat than a KG of FF.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I would make sure he eats a good amount of hay before he goes out or bring him in at lunchtime to hay and feed or just bring in earlier so his not hungry and irritable.

I really can't see how feeding him fast fibre will make any difference to him being on a sparse field all day without forage, but I suppose giving him a feed with a bit of substantial fibre may make a difference give it a try and see its not expensive.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
My pony had ulcers 2+ years ago. After Gastroguard jabs and Sucralfate on vet’s instructions for 3 months he had N.A.F. GastriAid plus Fast Fibre, salt and hay. He is out in the day in winter and at night in summer.

Now he has N.A.F. Pink Powder Senior, hay, salt and Fast Fibre. The FF is really a suitable carrier for the PP and salt.
He has never looked better.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
I have one who needs weight management but had ulcers. She is on three small feeds a day; two Dengie meadow grass with added oily herbs, one Fast Fibre with protexin Acid Ease. I find the Fast Fibre really easy to mix supplements into and all the horses I have fed it to absolutely love it. I feed small amounts though. She gets a mix of straw and hay too.