Fast Growing Deciduous Tree NOT Poisonous to Horses??

lottiepony

Visit site
So I had to beg my uncle to let me cut down a sycamore tree which was growing in the orchard. He was not impressed as it's not very old and he spent a small fortune on moving it and a few others a few years ago. Anyway the possible 'threat' is now gone but I thought I could buy a replacement. But I need something that is quick growing as a) I don't think I could afford a big young tree and b) so it will look nice for my uncle before he dies (his words not mine hence his upset at losing the other one is that he won't be able to see it at a good size! lol!) So any suggestions? Not easy to find one that won't then be a risk to the boys that grows at a decent rate!

Fiona

Visit site
Willow is fairly quick growing or birch (though less so)

We planted three together in a circle about 1m apart if that would be an option at all??

What size was the one you took down???

Fiona

Finlib

Visit site
Willow are fast growing .
The fact that Willow does not appear in any of the toxic plant databases indicates that there is no evidence that the plants pose any sort of threat to livestock

lottiepony

Visit site
Pretty big, trunk was a good 8 inches round - hence I did have to beg. It does seem a real pity to take down a young tree but it just didn't sit well knowing what could happen.

Birch could well be an option. We've got a willow tree already elsewhere and don't think it would look right, near by is the group are 2 horse chestnuts.

Fiona

Visit site
I don't think I've ever seen a lime tree????

OP - what type of ground do you have, because that makes a difference.

Willows like damp, as do poplars. Birch less so.

Fiona

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
We have a large Lime tree in the paddock...it has a nice shape and would balance out horse chestnuts. I've never heard of lime trees being toxic.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Lime would prob be the best at ticking your uncles boxes OP.

Willow does like the damp, but also - if not in right place - then branches can splinter off if too dry or branches not trimmed, allowing limbs to get heavy. Its sharp if bitten into by foraging equines. Not toxic tho, just splintery.

Birch is pretty, but not 'that' long lasting - it can be a bit like sheep (tries to die lol) on occasions.

If you could wait, then horse chestnut and similar, would prob do the trick.

lottiepony

Visit site
Thanks for the replies everyone. Do indeed like the lime - funnily enough there's lots of them in a local park just never knew that they were what they were!
Ground wise we're fairly heavy clay although part of the orchard is quite damp but think that would be due to a drainage issue!
Following on anyone able to suggest best place to find a lime tree??

Shoei

Visit site
We have a lot of lime trees at home.... they smell lovely when in flower and the bees love them... it makes the best honey!!!!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Birch is extremely hardy. I pulled some up that was in the wrong place brought it home left it lying for a few weeks then got round to sticking it back in the ground and they all grew and are about 20ft tall now aged about 10 yrs.

Last edited:

millikins

Visit site
Your only problem with lime is that if the horses share the grazing with it they may well eat it :) I have a large lime overhanging my paddock, anything in reach is eaten. They also love the poplar leaves when they fall in the autumn.

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
So I had to beg my uncle to let me cut down a sycamore tree which was growing in the orchard. He was not impressed as it's not very old and he spent a small fortune on moving it and a few others a few years ago. Anyway the possible 'threat' is now gone but I thought I could buy a replacement. But I need something that is quick growing as a) I don't think I could afford a big young tree and b) so it will look nice for my uncle before he dies (his words not mine hence his upset at losing the other one is that he won't be able to see it at a good size! lol!) So any suggestions? Not easy to find one that won't then be a risk to the boys that grows at a decent rate!
We are in this position - a hundred year old sycamore tree we have is being cut down tomorrow along with another

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
Your only problem with lime is that if the horses share the grazing with it they may well eat it :) I have a large lime overhanging my paddock, anything in reach is eaten. They also love the poplar leaves when they fall in the autumn.

I put a heras fence in front of the tree so horses cannot eat it.

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
This online company has a range:

https://www.mailordertrees.co.uk/collections/tilia-lime-trees

I like the one on special offer at the moment - the 'Winter Orange' one ... I buy all my trees online now (Blackmoor are brilliant for fruit trees) and they've all arrived in great condition and lovely specimens.

I second mail order trees, lovely company with lovely trees, we bought about 16 of thees to go in the field in a nice long line they go amazing colours in the Autum https://www.mailordertrees.co.uk/products/malus-tschonoskii-crab-apple-tree-1

Kat

Visit site
An apple tree? You can make crumble/pie with the good apples and the horses can have the windfalls.

If it is an orchard it should be a fruit tree.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
An apple tree? You can make crumble/pie with the good apples and the horses can have the windfalls.

If it is an orchard it should be a fruit tree.

Ohhh...... be careful with horses and windfalls! Not only is there the potential of a choke if they pick up something, but also, if the apples decay a bit and horses pick those up, they could cause colic as they will ferment inside the stomach.

Personally I would not let horses anywhere near pasture where there was the possibility of windfalls.

Sorry OP don't know what to suggest TBH, but I'd have a look around and see what other sorts of trees grow in the immediate vicinity, and have a think about it. If you've cut down a sycamore recently, then it just might be a case of letting the other trees and vegetation in the area grow into the gap. Yes it might look awful now, hence the Uncle's shock and horror, but give it the summer's growth and it won't look quite so awful, honestly!!

Better that than plant something which isn't right and which turns out to be a PITA long term.

Pen

Visit site
Aspen is attractive, native to UK and quick growing and apparently if you get male trees they don't shed seeds. They do send up suckers which need cutting unless you want a forest- we started with one and now have loads.