Fat eye :(

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Im absolutely gutted at this! Bubbles came in this morning looking like he’d been smacked in the head with a shovel.
If it were summer I’d be clutching at straws hoping it was flies.
Having had a horse with Uvietis before I’ve always said if I ever had another diagnosed it would be pts there and then and that i’d never try and treat it again as it’s such a bloody awful disease.
So now im hoping and praying for a nice little ulcer or something (what else is there?)
The big worry is that about a month ago I got him in in the dark and thought his eye looked odd but went back out in daylight to get a proper look and it was fine but in hindsight it probably was swollen and just randomly went down which is how our other horse started out.
He’s always suffered slightly gunky weepy eyes in summer.
The vet is obviously coming later. She said 2 bute in the meantime.
? for my sad littlest ponio 28CF1ECE-E2A7-4C58-852D-861D749CF47A.jpeg

nutjob

Visit site
One of mine stuck his head in a hedge and got poked in the eye by a thorn. It looked shocking but resolved very quickly in just a few days with antibiotic drops. Good luck hope it's something simple.

PurBee

Visit site
My mare had a similar thing once, no idea how she did it. It was weeping a lot. I presumed a twig in the eye accident.
Online researches suggested wet soggy tea bags…there’s something in tea thats cleansing and anti-inflammatory, cooling too. I tried that and next day she was much better.

Fingers crossed yours resolves rapidly.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
My mare had a similar thing once, no idea how she did it. It was weeping a lot. I presumed a twig in the eye accident.
Online researches suggested wet soggy tea bags…there’s something in tea thats cleansing and anti-inflammatory, cooling too. I tried that and next day she was much better.

Fingers crossed yours resolves rapidly.
It’s tannins in tea that’s soothing for sore eyes. Supposed to be amazing for fly irritation etc.

Thank you all! Funny, usually people have fat eye horses and everyone’s saying “vet it’s serious” etc but your all doing a great job of “it’s probably nothing” god, I hope so!

Cowpony

Visit site
Mine had uveitis a couple of years ago, so when she had an eye like that I called the vet straight away. Or at least, as soon as the office opened as I didn't want an out of hours charge for the sake of half an hour ;). While waiting for the vet I bathed the eye with cold water and it did get very slightly better, but still far from open. The vet said best not to take chances with eyes, but found nothing and could only suggest she'd got something in there just before I arrived in the field and and I'd successfully washed it out. By the evening it was much better, so she stayed in that night and went out with a fly mask for the next few days.

My current loan pony gets gunky half-closed eyes quite regularly and tea definitely does the trick.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Mine had uveitis a couple of years ago, so when she had an eye like that I called the vet straight away. Or at least, as soon as the office opened as I didn't want an out of hours charge for the sake of half an hour ;). While waiting for the vet I bathed the eye with cold water and it did get very slightly better, but still far from open. The vet said best not to take chances with eyes, but found nothing and could only suggest she'd got something in there just before I arrived in the field and and I'd successfully washed it out. By the evening it was much better, so she stayed in that night and went out with a fly mask for the next few days.

My current loan pony gets gunky half-closed eyes quite regularly and tea definitely does the trick.
Did the first one ever get uveitis again? I’m not sure if a complete one off attack is possible? If so maybe I am panicking over nothing. ?

Annagain

Visit site
Archie had something similar a while back. It turned out he'd just given himself a bang. I was worried about the weeping but the vet said it can happen if the swelling puts pressure on the structures around they eye as the fluid it works its way to the tear ducts as the point of least resistance.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Mine had something that looked like that. He had banged his head and there was bleeding inside the eye. It waa serious and he was hospitalised for a couple of days to allow them to monitor and constantly medicate but he made a full recovery. Vet did say some increased risk of uvetis after eye injury but a couple if years on, no problems.

So while the initial injury was dramatic and serious, long term it wasn't an issue.

Illustration with drama loving tb.

FB_IMG_1644596836639.jpg

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Poor little sausage is safely installed in horspital.
He has a thorn sticking straight into his eyeball. It’s been scanned and they just called. They are about to try removing it but said they can’t tell at this stage how big it is and what damage has been done. Apparently there is a chance his eye may burst during the process ?

I left him happily woo’ing all the nurses with his cuteness though so he seemed a bit less miserable at least.

Hallo2012

Visit site
Poor little sausage is safely installed in horspital.
He has a thorn sticking straight into his eyeball. It’s been scanned and they just called. They are about to try removing it but said they can’t tell at this stage how big it is and what damage has been done. Apparently there is a chance his eye may burst during the process ?

I left him happily woo’ing all the nurses with his cuteness though so he seemed a bit less miserable at least.

ouch poor boy, fingers crossed

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
Gosh, that is so unlucky to have had uveitis AND then this too! Poor horse and poor you as well. Our appy is a uveitis sufferer and it can be a nightmare, do feel for you.

Hope all goes well with the thorn removal, best wishes for a speedy recovery.