Fat horse help!

ihatework

Visit site
OK I own a retired horse that lives with a friend of mine as a companion.

He is 16yo, 7/8th TB, 16.2hh

He has always been a good doer - evented off chaff and balancer!!!

Since fully retiring over 2 years ago he has gradually piled on the pounds, but he really is now obese to the point it's a little concerning. I joked the other day that he'd give the HOYs riding horses a run for their money weight wise!

He lives out 24/7
He doesn't wear a rug
He has zero hard feed
Grazing is 2 acres between 2 horses, green - but grass is short and in no way lush
He gets additional hay once a day (equivalent of 2-3 small bale slices)

Friend is already having to bring her horse out of the paddock to give hard feed and extra forage.

I'm extremely reluctant to reduce his current level of grass & hay intake just because I really do believe they need something going through their system

It's not practical to soak the hay given current set up, I'm really anti-muzzles too.

Is there a miracle trick I'm overlooking??!
*shoot me now* but I have to say I'm considering just sticking my head in the sand, but then if he came down with lammi I'd never forgive myself!

amandap

Visit site
Reduce time on grass and feed soaked and rinsed hay. Increase exercize, walking out or ponying at walk. When the grass is longer get him used to a muzzle.
Any chance of taping off a track? He could go on it part of the day and keep it narrow 12ft ish except for feeding area.

MissChaos

Visit site
Sorry if this sounds like I'm teaching anyone to suck eggs - but if he's doing that well and given all those circumstances, have you had him blood tested?

starryeyed

Visit site
^ I was going to suggest this too. We have a horse who despite being ridden daily, fed very tiny amounts of very soaked hay with most of his turnout being in a menage in order to try to control his weight - he'd been HUGE since we got him, and ended up having laminitis on several occasions, as hard as we tried to get the weight off him it was just impossible. We eventually found out that he's insulin resistant & borderline cushings, he's now on medication for it and has slimmed down beautifully (his personalitys much better too!). It might not be anything like that but it could be worth a vet visit just to check everything's okay so that you can cross that kinda thing off the list.
You didn't say why he's retired, but if he's sound then some little walks / long reining sessions should help a little. Good luck!

Goldenstar

Visit site
Nothing useful to add to good advice above just wanted to tell someone that fatty frank who stared his diet at 733 kilos was weighted at the vets today and was 633 kilos he's lost 100 kilos I am definatly better at dieting horses than myself !!!!

ihatework

Visit site
Well done Goldenstar on the weight loss!

It had crossed my mind regarding cushings, especially given the yetti coat he has grown! Will get him blood tested when vet next out.

He retired due to navicular syndrome so to be honest as he is completely field sound now I don't want to risk him going lame again (add to that if I'm completely honest no time to do anything with him either).