Fat Horses – still too many

KautoStar1

Visit site
Sad to still see so many fat horses waddling around the show ring. Went to watch at a high profile show this weekend and as far as I can see, maybe more among the amateur ranks, fat is still king.
I’m not interested in ponies, so can’t comment on them, but a lot of the hunters and cobs were obese. And I know some of these breeds / types are ‘big’ horses but fat is fat. Actually interestingly I found was that the bigger the rider, the fatter the horse. Is there a connection ?

turkana

Visit site
I bought last week's H&H, I don't buy it often & was surprised at the obese show horses featured.
Not all were over weight so some people seem to be able to keep their horses at a healthy weight.
It is a real welfare issue so I don't know why magazines like H&H condone it.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
They're in the mag because they won/were successful though so it boils down to the judges really.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I'm always shocked when I go to a showing show nowadays (not often) at just how fat is now considered normal.

mariebx19

Visit site
I know too many people that think it's funny that their horses are overweight.Really annoys me.Especially when the horses are constantly jumped,really isnt good for them.One of mine is slightly bigger than he should be but i have been struggling for ages to try get weight of him to help with his lameness issues but just doesnt seem to be coming off him.Would love him to be nice and fit.

Barnacle

Visit site
I think unfortunately a lot of owners simply cannot judge what a healthy weight is... I'm constantly seeing people moaning about this or that horse "looking skinny" because you can see its hip bones... Hip bones (not ribs though) = healthy weight people! I recently told someone their cob had gotten fat on the spring grass and that maybe it needs a bit more restriction - owner insists the horse is just "filling out". It has ripples down its neck and a growing crest... It's obese!

Equi

Visit site
Im quite happy to say that in my experience with minis, the judges are against them being fat. I have lost classes cause they thought they were too well covered.

only_me

Visit site
I'm against obese horses in showing too, but I also think some of the problem is that a lot of show horses have a rounder barrel than a lot of sport type horses (eg. Eventers, show jumpers) so from the side of the ring can appear to be quite fat! In person and when looking at them close up they actually aren't that fat. Having shown & been groom for other riders in a ring a lot of horses aren't as fat as they appear from the outside of the ring :)

Another thought I had recently was that show hunters are meant to be an example of hunters, who in summer, are "let down" and not as fit as they are when working in winter. So should the hunters being shown be allowed to be a higher weight (but not obese) as this represents the "true hunter" in spring/summer?

Tbh I don't see as many obese hunters as I see obese cobs - some of them are just gross!! :(

gnubee

Visit site
Have recently started scoping out shows cos I think my youngster might finally be fit to take next year and want to know what the standard is, what's expected, which ones would be good to start Etc.Had thought all the bad rep showing got for fatness was a bit unfair as my old instructor had 2 successful show horses at perfect weight. Have been alarmed to note that in many classes I have seen (across a range of levels from tiny riding club to top level) many classes have had all or all but a couple of horses with a visibly Apple-ey bottom and there are a lot of cresty necks around too. My horse (who is on the leaner side but get says is perfectly healthy weight) would look so out of place I think people would call the RSPCA to report her as starved. We will still probably show next year for the experience, but I won't be expecting to place anywhere unless we are the only entrants.

Last edited:

cundlegreen

Visit site
I'm against obese horses in showing too, but I also think some of the problem is that a lot of show horses have a rounder barrel than a lot of sport type horses (eg. Eventers, show jumpers) so from the side of the ring can appear to be quite fat! In person and when looking at them close up they actually aren't that fat. Having shown & been groom for other riders in a ring a lot of horses aren't as fat as they appear from the outside of the ring :)

Another thought I had recently was that show hunters are meant to be an example of hunters, who in summer, are "let down" and not as fit as they are when working in winter. So should the hunters being shown be allowed to be a higher weight (but not obese) as this represents the "true hunter" in spring/summer?

Tbh I don't see as many obese hunters as I see obese cobs - some of them are just gross!! :(

I think you are right about the "round barrelled" horses. I have a homebred mare, Welsh D cross TB, that is eventing every two weeks, and successfully at Novice level. You can't see any muscle definition on her at all, and to me she still looks to be carrying fat. I find it a constant battle to give her enough hard food to be competitive, yet try to exercise enough to keep the weight down. When she comes off the XC, she hardly blows or shows signs of sweating, yet you would say she is in show condition, ie overweight. I wonder how many of the winning show horses blow after the gallop, although the judge should put them down if really noisy.

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
I judged at a show recently and had one class where every horse was overweight (to varying degrees). I told them as a whole class that this was the case, and that they needed to do something about it. How can a horse possibly move correctly using its shoulder and hind legs when its tummy is getting in the way! Let alone the damage being done to its joints and respiratory system.

There were other classes where the horses were all in excellent condition. Anything that was too fat I moved down the line and told the rider why they had been dropped. Trust me - you can tell the difference between "round barrelled" and obese!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Was that related to type at all FMM?

I also have a round barrelled, if I were ever to put a pic up on here people with think him overweight when stood still but I know that the size of his belly is not a weight indicator for him he just has very well sprung ribs. For him the first place any weight goes is bottom, then neck!

rowan666

Visit site
the last time i showed my sec A (after vet saying he was perfect weight) i was told he needed more weight on him! i havnt shown him since because he was always placed last against the obese ones. My cob was in excellent shape last year and always averaged 3rd place, this year i admit she is way too fat (im really trying to get it off her) and she placing 1st and 2nd every time! :(

Dry Rot

Visit site
I was so impressed with Blue Cross's 'Fat Horse Slim" campaign that I phoned and told them. They very kindly sent me a stack of leaflets which we then had fun distributing around the pens at local shows! Blue Cross are doing a really good job and deserve more support.

As for judges who put up fat horses, they need reporting to (a) the show committee, and (b) the official show vet. The latter needs to be asked point blank why he is doing nothing about the obese horses at the show.

You can see I missed my vocation as a diplomat!:)

http://www.bluecross.org.uk/how-body-score-your-horse

Visit site
I find that it is mostly the cobs that are grossly obese over the other sections. The people that do the cobs right have well covered but fit horses and you can see that they are muscley and not pure fat. FMM has the perfect example of enough weight but plenty fot enough on The Humdinger.

Large breed natives tend to be a bit ott too as they have adult riders who tend to just show them. The small breeds are prdominantly riden by kids and so get bombed about and are generally fitter as they do more.

Times are changing but very slowly and to be honest it is more the amateurs who want to stand at the top with the big boys that are the ones who have the fat unfit ones rather than the producers.

KautoStar1

Visit site
I had a deep round barrelled ID but he is not fat. He has a well sprung rib cage but you can feel every rib & there isn't a pad of fat on him
As FMM says you can tell the difference between round barrelled and fat. Well at least you should be able too. Sadly many can't it would seem.

only_me

Visit site
I had a deep round barrelled ID but he is not fat. He has a well sprung rib cage but you can feel every rib & there isn't a pad of fat on him
As FMM says you can tell the difference between round barrelled and fat. Well at least you should be able too. Sadly many can't it would seem.

Actually I said that from the side of the ring many horses who appear fat at first view are actually just round barrelled when standing beside them. I never said that there wasn't a difference but that it can be harder to see the difference from outside the ring. Hence why so many people become ring side critics! Not everyone will take the time to study a horse going round a ring but will look and see that the horse is round & therefore assume fat. And so the slaying of showing horses will continue.
Those that do take the time to study the horse will most likely realise that the horse is not fat as they had first thought but instead round barrelled/well sprung ribs.

Of course, there are still fat show horses, but people can be very quick to criticise!

KautoStar1

Visit site
Only_me I wasn't suggesting you didn't know the difference between fat and well sprung ribs but there are many who dont and there are still a lot of deep barrelled horses that are also fat. You can see it on their necks, shoulders, backsides.

I was stood in the collecting ring at a county show only the other week and was staggered by the number who were fat. Why aren't judges standing them down the line up. And when was the last time you say a judge actually touch a horse. I can't remember the last time I saw a judge run hands down a leg or feel for ribs.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Only_me I wasn't suggesting you didn't know the difference between fat and well sprung ribs but there are many who dont and there are still a lot of deep barrelled horses that are also fat. You can see it on their necks, shoulders, backsides.

I was stood in the collecting ring at a county show only the other week and was staggered by the number who were fat. Why aren't judges standing them down the line up. And when was the last time you say a judge actually touch a horse. I can't remember the last time I saw a judge run hands down a leg or feel for ribs.

Don't know about the UK, but over here judges are actively discouraged from touching horses in the ring. I will still do it 'tho if I'm concerned about limbs and odd swellings, scars etc.

conniegirl

Visit site
After several judges got kicked by ill prepared horses most UK showing societies have banned judges from touching horses.

joulsey

Visit site
There are some grossly obese Sec C and D's around my area, even in the youngstock classes which is even more worrying

Visit site
Don't know about the UK, but over here judges are actively discouraged from touching horses in the ring. I will still do it 'tho if I'm concerned about limbs and odd swellings, scars etc.

Judges aren't supposed to touch them incase they pass something on from one horse to another and given how many horses you can judge in a day you could be passing a hell of a lot on. Not that it is evwr likely to happen but there is still the possibility. I have been asked to show my ponies teeth so they can be checked without the judge actually touching the pony. I have had tails moved with canes too.