Fat or big riders... on small horses...

charlie_D

Visit site
i feel yes but horses however big or small are strong creatures and can carry heavy emounts so unless the horse/pony looks as though its going to fall over and die then i dont see the problem!

blueberry

stores.ebay.co.uk
Interestingly i have seen some lighter (by weight) riders who are both heavy on the horses back and hands!
I think that is much worse personally.

I have seen many heavier riders that are lovely light riders.

My daughter who is 24 this year is on the heavier side and show rides at a high level and she has always been told by judges that she should be riding show hacks.
smirk.gif

CracklinRosie

Visit site
My 16.2hh TBX mare had a back problem due to neglect while on loan, now she's fit and healthy again she has no problem carrying me at 15 stone.

I have also been told I ride light and if you saw me you wouldn't think that was what I weighed.

I am trying to loose weight, infact I've lost 2 stone this year and hopefully it'll continue to come off.

If you're really concerned about a horses welfare call the RSPCA!!

If you're not prepared to do that then wind your neck in!

hayleygunson

Visit site
I know! I've seen a few large people competing on dainty ponies. It's not nice when they have a heavy seat because you can constantly hear them slamming in the seat. But I know there are quite a few talented larger riders; Which partially solves the problem.

Kenzo

Visit site
Not sure about everyone else but I think this post should be put to rest, it has offended people....perhaps maybe not with total intent and I'm sure SB perhaps posted this without thinking about the outcome and is very sorry to of upset people.

Lets remember guys and girls that people come in different shapes, sizes and colours just like horses, its what makes the world an intresting place and its what makes the world of horses such wonderful intresting hobby.

There is a horse out there for every kind of person, the short, the tall, the disabled, the feather weight, the heavier weight, the thrill seekers, the short tempered, the lazy etc etc

A lot of people may be angry about this post, everyone is entitled to their opinons just like SB but please think about the people that don't reply to this, people who will now be sitting at home worrying about this subject, I know people who have delt with eating disorders just so they could ride there horse....its a very deap and sensative subject for some people and goes a lot further than a few harsh words on a forum.
frown.gif

MizElz

Visit site
I understand what you're saying Kenzo, in that it should be put to bed now, and I dont disagree. However I do think that SB knew full well what she was saying, else why would she have posted about the same thing (essentially) three times, once here, twice in Soapbox? Many people have accused FarthingwoodFox of 'trolling' - I think the real troll may be somewhat closer to home.

blueberry

stores.ebay.co.uk
i dont think the poster deserves the attention this post is getting.

Why doesent she worry about real important issues of cruelty going on in the world rather than this pointless exercise of offending people.

I hope no one takes her seriously because she is clearly a foolish person.

Happytohack

Visit site
I just hope you don't put on weight as you get older
frown.gif
How sad to be obsessed with other people's weight.
BTW in FEI endurance rides, horses have to carry a minimum of 75kgs. The majority of horses are lightweight Arabians and the distance they cover is 100 miles in a day with strict veterinary inspections.
When I was younger, I used to worry about my weight constantly and stayed unhealthily underweight. Now I am getting on a bit, I have put on a fair bit of weight and ride a much bigger boned horse than I used to.

cyberhorse

Visit site
OK sorry cannot lurk on this one any longer!

Can I point out that 1:10 women in the UK suffers from polycistic ovaries, most do not even know they have it. One of the major symptoms is a struggle to maintain weight. A recent study showed that to eat a normal diet for a woman (2000 Calories) you would need 80 min intensive exercise a day. There will be a lot of female riders that are unaware they have this problem and making them feel uncomfortable to ride is exactly the opposite of what they need.

I am 5ft 6 and weigh 10st 6, yet I am a size 10 - solely thanks to riding. I have friends who are size 16 and weigh less. I need to ride to control my PCOS and I restrict myself to 1500 calories a day. If I do not ride this has to go down to 900 calories - which is hell. Because I have PCOS and an excess of male hormone riding increases my muscle mass more than with other people hence my weight goes up, but my fat goes down and my general health risks associated with PCOS (heart disease, diabetes and stroke) are reduced.

FACT: fit athletes often have a BMI in the overweight -> obese range. Muscle weighs heavier than fat

Heavy DOES NOT = Fat!!! you cannot tell weight by looking at someone's size.

Further a well balanced rider who is heavier will be much less likely to damage a horse that an unbalanced rider 2 stone lighter.

All my RIs tend to look at me and put me on small highland ponies such as 13.2s, out of courtesy I do remind them of my weight so they are not judging by size - but it has been fine.

The weight a horse can carry depends upon breed, bone and their weight. I can look way too big for a pony and will ride it, but would not ride a slightly larger pony who I look in more proportion to as it is lighter boned. Most people on here know how to do the calculations of weight a horse can carry.

PLEASE do not send people unpleasant PMs, you do not know if they have an underlying medical condition. Further stripping of a person's confidence will only cause depression which actually turns people to food.

ALSO PLEASE if you have a problem with larger body images talk to someone about it - it really is not healthy for YOU and YOUR perceived body image. Malnutrition weakens bones and if you are riding this is a dangerous combination!!

I think the post perhaps does need attention what we are doing is coming out in support of those who feel this board has a problem with weight. I would love to see you guys feel happy to post your photos just the same as everyone else. HINT HINT....
grin.gif

GinGin2

Visit site
Very well said, and thank you from a PCOS sufferer for about 8+ years for saying what I couldn't find the words to say.

Keltic

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Very well said, and thank you from a PCOS sufferer for about 8+ years for saying what I couldn't find the words to say.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly!! I have PCOS and Endometriosis, i know GinGin/Cyberhorse what a struggle it is believe me, ive tried everything its a nightmare. Well im off to do some "leg shortening" thats what my YO calls hacking!!
This is my cob out showing, do you think she looks unhappy doing what she is doing?
HPIM0296b.jpg

Sooty

Visit site
Am I the only one who hates seeing big fat people on small/slight horses? It really does drive me insane!

<font color="blue">TBH, it is not something I have seen a lot of. You certainly see people on ponies which may be a bit small for them, but that is more a height issue than a weight one. I think the fact that it drives you insane is perhaps a problem with your attitude, rather than the issue itself. </font>

If people insist on eating a lot, why can't they have a horse to suit?

<font color="blue">That is quite offensive. On a personal level, I struggled for years with an undiagnosed thyroid problem, which meant that I gained weight even on restricted calories. However, I did at that time ride cobby horses which could carry me easily. </font>

Ok, people might be fat, for whatever reason, but why make your horse carry the load????

<font color="blue">I think you may be repeating yourself... </font>

Personally, If I was really heavy I would not ride, I don't think it is fair on the horse.

<font color="blue">That is a choice you would be free to make, as is the choice of 'really heavy' people to carry on riding. It would perhaps be worth bearing in mind that you possibly have fairly serious issues with body image, but that doesn't mean you are right in your mass condemnation of larger riders. </font>

rolls1392

Visit site
Can I comment from a blokes point of view.
Due to my height/build I will never be lightweight, but I constantly try to ride as well as possible, in balance and not causing the horse any problems. Horse is a 17h idxshirex appaloosa mare( ie:lard arse).
Woman at our yard weighs 10.5 stone and rides a 16.1 tb. She has wrecked his back in less than a year due to bad riding(incapable of cantering in balance) and yes she it has been tactfully mentioned.
So basically rider weight not that relavant as opsed to good technique.
Now pass that cream cake!!!!!!!!

RachelMcTimoney

www.mctimoney4animals.com
also drives me mad. I find it very simple, my horses range from 14.2-16.1 i muck them all out, ride, have a physical job, eat sensibly and i'm about 9.5stone. Basically get off your arse and put down the cakes and chips! Obviously there are people with medical conditions that can contribute to obesity and i am fully aware of this, but it is not those people that drive me mad!

GinGin2

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
also drives me mad. I find it very simple, my horses range from 14.2-16.1 i muck them all out, ride, have a physical job, eat sensibly and i'm about 9.5stone. Basically get off your arse and put down the cakes and chips! Obviously there are people with medical conditions that can contribute to obesity and i am fully aware of this, but it is not those people that drive me mad!

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you considered the fact that the people who eat cream cakes and sit on their arse probably are not out mucking out and exercising their horse? A bit silly to relate those people to the overweight ones who are actually active.

Natch

Visit site
FFS it really grates on me all the people who say "stop eating" and "put down the cakes and chips" - I have a desk job but ride most days, play squash twice a week and go to the gym or aerobics twice a week, and very rarely eat fattening food, and shock horror I am overweight and will never be 9.5 stone. I don't as far as I'm aware have any medical conditions I just find it hard to lose weight - at the moment it is coming off but slowly.

There are hundreds of reasons why a person can be overweight, and comments like that show a complete lack of knowledge on the subject.

(btw alij nice pics!)

sallypops

Visit site
i'm gettin really worried about my weight now thanks for that starbucks!!!!

i'm 17 and am 5 foot 1 edging on 10 and a half stone, now i am very very muscular and build large and when i try and loose weight i end up just puttin on more muscle cause i tone up too quickly, so i actually become heavier cause i just become like a body builder.

do you aim to cause people to have eatin disorders???? you are a very very sad person and clearly a BULLY!!! and might i add i am absolutly horrified that you PM'd castlemouse and told her she was too big for castle get a F*****G LIFE!!!

i really don't think i'll ever had the guts to post pics on here again of me riding!

Sooty

Visit site
There is only one reason why someone, anyone is overweight - they are consuming more calories than they are burning. That is a simple, biological fact. I have been overweight most of my life, a lot of it due to an undiagnosed thyrdoid problem. I was furious when a doctor told me once 'no fat people came out of the concentration camps', but she was right, and POWs worked hard all day on a bowl of rice. Every one pictured was skeletal. I have lost weight over the years and always put it back on, because I eat more than I need! Losing weight is very, very hard. There are loads of psychological issues attached to food, it is a human drive to eat, food (in this country) is cheap and easily obtainable, there are many physical conditions which make losing weight hard etc etc. Nobody has ever cut their calorie consumption to below their energy expenditure and gained weight.

Stella

Visit site
We shouldn't have to justify ourselves to these morons
frown.gif
Yes, thats right - another big rider with a happy, fit horse
crazy.gif

_April_

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Starbucks - Does Castle look unhappy to you in this photo with me on board...?
jumpingcastle6.jpg

I certainly don't think so anyway, and that's a still from a video taken last April...

[/ QUOTE ]

I love Castle so much, he reminds me of my 2nd pony - who was a little grey jumping machine too but a bit bigger at 13.2. I know why you wanted to keep riding him for as long as possible! I needed prised off of mine at the end. My legs just grew too long goddammit
laugh.gif

You aren't too big for Castle in that pic and doing him NO harm at all but you do look aesthetically better on Ali - he's gorgeous too. I do love greys
grin.gif

mickey

Visit site
Starbucks - I don't know how old you are, but you may be making these comments from a younger person's viewpoint.
I am not saying all young people are slim, but when I was a teenager I was like a beanpole. Having got into my 30s I can tell you that I am no longer a beanpole and weight seems to creep on a whole lot easier than when I was younger. I suspect that age may infleunce the ease of weight gain. If this happens to you in the future you may well revise your comments!
smile.gif

reddie

Visit site
well said, mickey. i too was skinny until i hit my thirties and two children later. Idon't eat anywhere near as much as i used to, but am three sizes bigger. So Starbucks you may well change your opinion when you're abit older.

The Virgin Dubble

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Starbucks I remember when you sent me numerous PMs saying I was too fat for Castle (yes, I do think it's relevant to this post)... Granted, I'm not the thinnest rider, BUT if I was THAT big for Castle he would've let me know somehow... Castle was quite "cobby" though and was well able to carry me...

[/ QUOTE ]
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
How rude!
mad.gif

You were not too big for Castle at all!
I really wouldn't take too much notice of a girl who is so insecure about her own body, that she has to put others down, in order to make her feel better about herself...
smirk.gif

__Annie__

Visit site
With you on this one Starbucks

p.s see my weight loss ticker !!!!! My mare is a 16.3HH WBx with nearly 10" of bone and although I'm 5'11 I still felt too heavy for her so I've done something about it . Happy to say I was called 'skinny 'the other day
smile.gif

AND I say this as a 40 + year old
wink.gif

Starbucks

Visit site
Look, I've said I'm sorry, can we just drop it now??

Obviously people don't agree that CM was too big for Castle, but I think she was, not because she is "fat" but because Castle is a little pony and CM is an adult! I will keep my opinions to myself in future.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
[ QUOTE ]
i feel yes but horses however big or small are strong creatures and can carry heavy emounts so unless the horse/pony looks as though its going to fall over and die then i dont see the problem!

[/ QUOTE ]
Goodness me, lots of damage can be done to a horse's back before it gets to that point! It doesn't have to be a 'large' rider either; it can be a crooked or unbalanced one as well.

The Virgin Dubble

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Look, I've said I'm sorry, can we just drop it now??

Obviously people don't agree that CM was too big for Castle, but I think she was, not because she is "fat" but because Castle is a little pony and CM is an adult! I will keep my opinions to myself in future.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to drop the subject, why did you then go on to comment negatively about CM being an adult riding a pony?
confused.gif

Plenty of adults ride ponies. Live and let live, and don't push your distorted views on other people.

Glad to hear you've apologised to CM...