Fat or big riders... on small horses...

vieshot

Visit site
I still love you Starbucks
smile.gif
and i would have to agree that 10stone is a bit much for a 12.2hh pony long term, okay for the occasional ride but not for all the time. I dont have a problem with real big people riding, just so long as they are happy with the cart-horses and dont inflict the extra pounds on the daintier types.

Starbucks

Visit site
Well I realise now that I was very rude and something I should not have done, but I sent it because I was thinking of Castle I guess. it's not like he was just a hack for CM, but she was hunting him all day at the time, and I personally felt it was a bit much for him. But obviously it's non of my business and I'll keep my opinions to myself in future, or at least be a bit more tactful!
tongue.gif

I really didn't mean it in a "get off that pony you fatty!" type way, more a "you've out grown your pony, I know you love him but move on" type way. Although I can see how it may have come across differently!

__Annie__

Visit site

Unfortunately some people dislike hearing the truth whether it's said in a polite OR rude matter so I suspect you are on a lose lose situation with this one. For what it's worth I am with you on this one Starbucks.

Personally I'd much rather have friend's that tell me how they see it rather than tell me what I want to hear!
smile.gif

Starbucks

Visit site
Yes I am I am I am!!!!

I've said I'm a cow, I'm sorry and have had 7 pages of people telling me what horrible person I am, so I think I get the idea now!!
smirk.gif

Parkranger

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I totally agree, used to know a 14st girl who had a 15.2hh TB

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, at the time that this photograph was taken, I weighed 13 st 8 lb. Am I too big for my lightweight 15.2 Arab X SF?
mad.gif

meandelztrot.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, where the bloody hell did you put it? Do you have a massive head or something - you certainly don't look that weight!
grin.gif

ischa

Visit site
we all learn from our mistakes just in future as you said keep thoughts to self or try a put it in a politeful manner

Silverspring

Visit site
I totally agree on this one, if you're too big for the horse, you're too big for the horse. Weight is another issue altogether, just height alone puts you off balance and the horse has to work harder to keep you were you need to be.

Gingernags

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I totally agree, used to know a 14st girl who had a 15.2hh TB - the poor thing had a bad back, an ill fitting saddle and not an ounce of fat/muscle on it. Eventually it started bucking her off and she couldn't understand why!

[/ QUOTE ]

C2C280605008.jpg

Bay mare - 15.2 TB, 17 years old, my sister - 5'8" and 14 stone.
Chestnut mare, 15h 3/4 TB, 13 years old, me 5'6 and at that point over 16 stone.

That pic was taken 3 years ago, at the end of a 6 day 200 mile coast to coast ride for charity. Two totally sound and happy horses that have never had back or leg problems relating to carrying too much weight in their life. Well fitted tack and very fit horses.

I don't overeat, I have a nurse and dietician monitored healthy diet as I'm diabetic. I've lost a couple of stone but its VERY hard work.

Vicki1986

Visit site
You must think i am too big for my 13.1 then!! especially when she bucks and bombs off with the hunt!!

I don't normally notice specific people on HHO, only recognise a few by their signatures or those i have things in common with / regularly ask questions to etc.
But i have to say i have certainly noticed you alright (maybe that is the point of posts like this)

Your OP is ignorant, rude, nasty, and hurtful to overweight people.

I don't like it when people are fat for lazy reasons, especially if they put a huge emphasis on their horse being healthy and fit but not on their on health. My mum was obese due to stress and health problems, i am pretty thin and will never allow myself to be fat as i am terrified of ending up like her. YOU don't always know about peoples lives - they may have a depressing illness and if riding is the only thing keeping them active and happy why the hell not?! if they ride well and on an adequate steed why not.

now... where is that ignore user button i have seen people mention on here.....

CalliChristmasTree

Visit site
I used to weight too much and be too tall for my little 13:2 when i was younger.
One of the reasons for loosing my weight was so that i would be lighter for Calli, but that was because she is young. However i did not loose all my weight just for that. It was deffo last on my list.
TBH CM i did think you wer a little big for castle, but deffo not weight wise, just a little tall. But in no way was Castle unhappy, you only have to look at that picture up there to see that
smirk.gif

vieshot

Visit site
I can see how people think 14stone is to much for a 15.2hh tb, i mean you would think eleven stone was to much for a 12.2 wouldnt you? I think people nearer 16stone should look to riding chunkier types, cobs, ID's and such like not tb's and arabs.

Blizzard

Visit site
I think I am too big/heavy for my horse
frown.gif

Image18-1.jpg

tongue.gif

It works both ways! Ive had comments from people who people who dont know me well, saying my horses must too big for me, both are chunky WB's with 12 inches of bone. Beau is over 18hh and still growing.
Ive been told I must be too small to be effectual, because Im 5ft 5 and 8 stones.

Strange how my horses are perfectly behaved, kind, genlte and obedient, and well, happy.

Its not just larger people who get the size digs!
frown.gif

Ziggy_

Visit site
As I understand it, a horse is not supposed to carry more than 20% of its bodyweight.

a 15.2hh Thoroughbred will weigh approximately 450kg, 20% of which is 90kg or 14 stone. Allowing for the weight of the horses tack, the riders clothes and equipment the horse should carry no more than 12 stone.

I weigh 8.5 stone and have ridden ponies as small as 12hh due to lack of anyone else to school them. I feel that anything under 13.2hh struggles with my weight - they don't go forward as freely or use their backs as effectively, nor do they give jumps as much height. Put a lighter rider on board and you can see the difference in them.

Incidentally I have also been bucked off a 12hh pony who did a pretty impressive rodeo act with me - that they can buck and play up with you on board doesn't mean they can easily carry you for a days hunting or round a jumping course.

Horses were never designed to carry weight on their backs - riding them is an exercise in damage limitation if you want to maximize their working life. Part of this is choosing a horse that is well equipped to carry your weight in order to reduce the strain you put on the horses body.

Stella

Visit site
I've always thought allowing two stones for English tack and a pair of boots a bit ridiculous! I have a leather Bates Caprilli saddle. I haven't weighed it, but it really isn't very heavy at all! Surely allowing that amount is an extrapolation from a calculation intended for western riding, where the tack is significantly heavier?