Fat or in foal

meesha

Visit site
Omg they r both gorgeous, she did cook mayflower to perfection! Bet you can't wait to see them out together in the sunshine.

Sven

Visit site
I have resisted this thread until today, when I sat and read the whole thing. Brought back memories of the Tessy thread all those years ago. Glad all ended well and what a fabulous foal. Sorry to see GG's sad news along the way. I'm glad I have geldings don't think I could cope with the stress of foaling. I'm the kind of person who reads the end of the book first, I am not blessed with patience �� So I'm also glad I waited till now to read the thread��

Leo Walker

Visit site
That's a beautiful foal. Do you think the Welsh sec d was the father. Could a palomino and a coloured mare produce a bay foal? I've no idea on the scientific genetics side of it but I'm sure someone on here does.
Whatever Dad is Mary has produced a little beauty.

Yup. It seems odd when you see the colours of the parents, but perfectly possible

HorseyTee

Visit site
I've been away for a few days and missed all the action!

Congratulations, she was well worth the wait. I look forward to seeing her grow and develop :D

Turitea

Visit site
I agree, Mayflower does look a bit like a Clydesdale. Maybe dad was a Clydesdale x Welsh? Whatever, I suspect she will turn into a real stunner. Lovely filly!! :)

Clodagh

Visit site
I can't see clyde in there at all, she has a very pretty pony head as would be expected with Mary's pretty face and a Welsh D? Love the beard, my 3/4 tb was born with a beard and I did ask if they had mixed up the test tubes. Fantastic ears - a sign of honesty IMO. Gorgeous foal, clever Mary.

JJS

Visit site
Now the big qu, any further ideas on what dad could be? Doesn't matter TOO much, but put it this way, you won't need to buy a new horse any time soon!

As the dealer had asked me to let her know what Mary had, I sent her some lovely pictures when little Flower was born, and got an almost immediate response. I then dared to pose the question of whether we knew who the daddy might be - and no reply.

I can see that she's read the message, and know that Mary had to have become pregnant when she was with her, so I think the lack of response says it all: she doesn't want to get a reputation for being irresponsible, but is fully aware of who the sire is, otherwise she would just have admitted to not having a clue.

Looking at Flower, she certainly looks half Welsh, right down to the slightly dished face that you see in some of them. She is also the spitting image facially and build-wise of the other two filly foals the stallion has sired this year - one of them a 'happy accident' too.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I'd go back to her. Say it's one of those things, and you're quite happy with how things have turned out blaa blaa. And don't hold her responsible blaa blaa. If that will encourage her to say which stallion it could be.

JJS

Visit site
I'd go back to her. Say it's one of those things, and you're quite happy with how things have turned out blaa blaa. And don't hold her responsible blaa blaa. If that will encourage her to say which stallion it could be.

That's pretty much how I worded it - very nice rather than accusatory. My exact message was: 'Any idea who the daddy might be? It doesn't really matter because she's the most gorgeous little foal either way, but it would be nice to know what sort of horse she might grow into!'

I added a smiley face on the end of it too, but I don't think she's going to tell me anything. A bit of a shame if Flower is half Welsh, as it would have been nice to passport her as a part-bred, but at least I have a lovely baby regardless.

JJS

Visit site
Just an idea - would it be possible to DNA test her against one of the other fillies ? I don't know if this would be an option or how much it would cost.

I don't have access to either filly or the stallion, so sadly that's not an option.

It is quite frustrating, TBH, because even though it wasn't my mistake, I've stepped up to the plate and taken responsibility, without throwing around a single accusation, and yet the person who is actually responsible still won't play ball. Typical, isn't it?

JJS

Visit site
How soon can you do a string test to get some idea of height? Might give a clue.

TBH, I'm not sure how early you can string test, although genetics are a fickle thing anyway. I know a 14.3hh mare and a 14.1hh stallion who produced a 17.2hh, so I'm not sure how much it will really tell us.

In Flower's case, Mary is 14.2hh and the stallion is on the internet as 14.3/15hh, but even if she string tested bigger, I don't know that it would help to verify or discount the Welsh D as a possible sire. It would be interesting to see the results nonetheless!

Queenbee

Visit site
TBH, I'm not sure how early you can string test, although genetics are a fickle thing anyway. I know a 14.3hh mare and a 14.1hh stallion who produced a 17.2hh, so I'm not sure how much it will really tell us.

In Flower's case, Mary is 14.2hh and the stallion is on the internet as 14.3/15hh, but even if she string tested bigger, I don't know that it would help to verify or discount the Welsh D as a possible sire. It would be interesting to see the results nonetheless!

This is a good link to various methods of 'predicting' at various ages... http://www.behindthebitblog.com/2008/01/predicting-foal-height.html

Doris68

Visit site
Huge congratulations to Mary! What a truly gorgeous foal...you must be so proud and I guess Mary is mega proud! I couldn't stop "ooooing and aaahing". Foals are the biggest (but best) time-wasters. Enjoy every minute, but I know you will.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
She's fabulous - going to be a proper chunk by the looks of her :D
So is the suspected sire at stud somewhere then?

Annagain

Visit site

My share horse's dam was 15.1 and his sire 16hh. He is 17hh and was known as "little man" as his big full sister was 17.2 when she was sold as a 3yr old. Given he didn't stop growing until 7, I dread to think how big she ended up! The thinking is that the sire had a poor start in life so didn't fulfill his genetic potential height-wise.

JJS

Visit site
She's fabulous - going to be a proper chunk by the looks of her :D
So is the suspected sire at stud somewhere then?

Yes. The dealer runs a carriage driving business, and uses the stallion and his gelded full brother for weddings and so on. The stallion is also available for stud.

I'll add lots more pictures for all of you soon, but here's one to keep you going in the meantime. I'm so glad you all love her as much as I do! :)

F8B636A9-F0B0-4A28-BED0-76A0AFA257A9.jpg

Last edited:

JJS

Visit site
Here's a proper picture update for you all. The photo quality is rubbish as they're taken indoors in poor lighting, but Flower still looks adorable in them!

EE20153C-4BFF-4ABF-B057-E73A29B08C43.jpg

D089AE7E-2A14-4D86-AE2A-8791AE02EC8E.jpg

C0D94CE9-1894-4367-BFAE-581CA831257D.jpg

A8244BE4-C501-4526-8A3A-02F12E68CBAB.jpg

AD638F37-4C37-4A60-B757-399BE75D2712.jpg

DD248F16-9DB3-40E5-B77F-4109A10A2637.jpg